Politics in sport

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Peter Norman.
I just happened upon this in my news feed, I was a kid at the time and thought it pretty amazing but couldn't really appreciate the full significance. Interesting also to be reminded the White Australia Policy was still in place (and for more local context, Aboriginals were counted in the Australian census for the very first time in 1971, following a referendum in 1967).

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...g-viral/ar-AAtFpez?li=AAabC8j&ocid=spartandhp

I read an interview with Jesse Owens once. He said when he went to the 1936 Berlin Olympics Hitler didn't snub him but FDR did. Blacks in Berlin in 1936 could sit anywhere on a bus, stay at any hotel, eat in any restaurant, use any toilet...when he got back to America he couldn't get a job. Obviously Hitler was a maniac but in Owens eyes FDR was the enemy.

Did"t know that Peter Norman was snubbed and ignored by the Australian Olympic committee at the Sydney Olympics but i would regard this as a quite disgraceful and disrespectful action considering his great achievement at winning Olympic silver and regardless of the particular issue stand that he took at the Mexico Olympics . Nothing should have really detracted from this success as it must have been a brilliant performance and effort to gain a Olympic silver 200 meters medal especially in the high altitude location of Mexico city . Maybe his actions at the medal podium were a bit controversial at the time but in terms of the brave and principled statement that he made and position that he took , i think that he can only be regarded as a great Australian and a great athlete. Shame his remaining family members had to wait some six years after the Sydney Olympics for a proper public apology .

Did"t know that Peter Norman was snubbed and ignored by the Australian Olympic committee at the Sydney Olympics but i would regard this as a quite disgraceful and disrespectful action considering his great achievement at winning Olympic silver and regardless of the particular issue stand that he took at the Mexico Olympics . Nothing should have really detracted from this success as it must have been a brilliant performance and effort to gain a Olympic silver 200 meters medal especially in the high altitude location of Mexico city . Maybe his actions at the medal podium were a bit controversial at the time but in terms of the brave and principled statement that he made and position that he took , i think that he can only be regarded as a great Australian and a great athlete. Shame his remaining family members had to wait some six years after the Sydney Olympics for a proper public apology .
The US team invited him to Sydney 2000...

Ed Cowan dropped from NSW Sheffield Shield side after averaging over 70!
He's long ion the tooth so probably nothing to do with him being a spokesman for the players vs Cricket Australia...it was my first thought when I heard the news and I heard the possibility of victimisation referred to on the radio this morning too.
Probably one of those not quite obvious enough to ever be proved?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8