Please explain . . .

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
. . . who pays the Manly players in the WCC? Does the NRL pay, or is it in Manly's salary cap? Likewise, those players in the All Stars match?
If it is the latter, then is it a one-off match payment, or just part of their season wage?
The wider question is: do players receive match payments as well as a base salary? If so, then trying to keep under the salary cap must affect successful clubs who win more matches and play in the final series than the strugglers.
When a team wins a GF, as is a regular occurrence for Manly, then are the players given a bonus? If so, then this would also affect the salary cap.
Players in successful teams would play more matches, so on a per game basis they are probably financially disadvantaged over those players in teams that never make the finals.
It must be a nightmare trying to keep under the salary cap for successful clubs.

I believe the NRL pays the player a match payment per representative game played (SOO, TEST, 4 nations) that is exempt from the club salary cap.

Not sure if true but this has been what I have been told before.

As far as i know players are paid a salary by their respective clubs, any rep football is paid per game by the association that they represent (contract money from the TV stations would more than cover this). I assume that the WCC would be similar to a rep game and exempt from the salary cap.

With the current WCC as far as I know the Poms pay for everything and thats the reason why it is played in mother England and not here.

TokyoEagle said:
As far as i know players are paid a salary by their respective clubs, any rep football is paid per game by the association that they represent (contract money from the TV stations would more than cover this). I assume that the WCC would be similar to a rep game and exempt from the salary cap.

I'll pay that. That is my understanding too.

The Who said:
. . . who pays the Manly players in the WCC? Does the NRL pay, or is it in Manly's salary cap? Likewise, those players in the All Stars match?
If it is the latter, then is it a one-off match payment, or just part of their season wage?
The wider question is: do players receive match payments as well as a base salary? If so, then trying to keep under the salary cap must affect successful clubs who win more matches and play in the final series than the strugglers.
When a team wins a GF, as is a regular occurrence for Manly, then are the players given a bonus? If so, then this would also affect the salary cap.
Players in successful teams would play more matches, so on a per game basis they are probably financially disadvantaged over those players in teams that never make the finals.
It must be a nightmare trying to keep under the salary cap for successful clubs.

1.Firstly all costs and payments to players for the WCC are made by the ESL and player payments for this game is excluded from the NRL salary cap.

2. All players receive nrl match payments - the norm is $2000 per match.

3.For purposes of the salary cap, clubs are not penalised for exceeding the cap by winning more than 12 games (50% of games) x 17 players x $2000. Some lesser paid players may have contracts that see them get higher match fees. If clubs do this they have to meet the costs within the cap.

4. Generally there would be no bonus paid for a Grand Final win.

5. The All Star match fees are paid by the NRL.

What makes balancing the cap tricky is bonus incentives. eg a player may have in his contract that he gets a $50k bonus if he is selected in Origin or he plays a certain number of NRL matches.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
The Who said:

1.Firstly all costs and payments to players for the WCC are made by the ESL and player payments for this game is excluded from the NRL salary cap.

2. All players receive nrl match payments - the norm is $2000 per match.

3.For purposes of the salary cap, clubs are not penalised for exceeding the cap by winning more than 12 games (50% of games) x 17 players x $2000. Some lesser paid players may have contracts that see them get higher match fees. If clubs do this they have to meet the costs within the cap.

4. Generally there would be no bonus paid for a Grand Final win.

5. The All Star match fees are paid by the NRL.

What makes balancing the cap tricky is bonus incentives. eg a player may have in his contract that he gets a $50k bonus if he is selected in Origin or he plays a certain number of NRL matches.

Thanks Ernie. I guess clubs would have to keep a couple 100k in a jar under the CEO's bed in case a rookie goes off, like DCE this year.

mozgrame said:
TokyoEagle said:

I'll pay that. That is my understanding too.

Tis ok folks, looks like mozgrame's going to pay. ;)

km@ntis said:
mozgrame said:
Do the players except big screen t.v's, boats, B.B.Q's etc as part payment???

NO! They aren't from Melbourne -lol.

Well, you know what? If the friggin' players love the game half as much as they all claim, and have the PRIDE in the jersey that they all say they feel, they should be happy enough with airfare, accomadation and food. No match payment required. Soft pricks.:mad:

A lot of people make a **** load of money out of those players participating in rep matches so I think it's justified that the players get a slice of the pie

Players that play for the minnow countries ie Lee Briers, Feleti Mateo often don't get paid to rep their country.
In Lee's case he actually paid match payments for his welsh teammates

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4