[Resurrected] Players you picked as great early on...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer03

Bencher
We all love to pick players as superstars when they start out, the latest probably being the hype surrounding Tommy T. Which made me think who did you see when they started out and correctly said 'they will be a mega star!'. Or who did you pick as a star and got it wrong? Or who did you not see as much but they turned you around?

My first would have to be Snake, I remember watching him early on and thinking 'this kid has got it!' And I'd say I was proven right.

The player I'll admit I got wrong was Mitchell Pearce, when I first saw him I thought he would be a star. And whilst he's been a good solid player, he just doesn't have that step up ability for NSW.

Funnily enough the player I thought was overrated early on and didn't understand the hype was Jamie Lyon. I remember watching him for NSW and the Eels and thinking 'yeh he's ok, but a bit overrated' then when he came to us I just went 'whoa, this guy is unreal!'

I had huge tickets on Cuthbo coming through the grades. He let me down.
I didn't rate Andrew Johns when he first made it. He turned me around.

I was massive on Chez and Foz. Never had a concern when we let Orford then Hodko go. I knew we had it more than covered.

We all love to pick players as superstars when they start out, the latest probably being the hype surrounding Tommy T. Which made me think who did you see when they started out and correctly said 'they will be a mega star!'. Or who did you pick as a star and got it wrong? Or who did you not see as much but they turned you around?

My first would have to be Snake, I remember watching him early on and thinking 'this kid has got it!' And I'd say I was proven right.

The player I'll admit I got wrong was Mitchell Pearce, when I first saw him I thought he would be a star. And whilst he's been a good solid player, he just doesn't have that step up ability for NSW.

Funnily enough the player I thought was overrated early on and didn't understand the hype was Jamie Lyon. I remember watching him for NSW and the Eels and thinking 'yeh he's ok, but a bit overrated' then when he came to us I just went 'whoa, this guy is unreal!'
Funny I had the exact same experience with Jamie Lyon. I couldn't see the hype around him at the Eels and I didn't particularly like him. Then he came to Manly and I would have rated him the best all round player in the game between 2008-2013. He is one of my all time favourites now!

Funny I had the exact same experience with Jamie Lyon. I couldn't see the hype around him at the Eels and I didn't particularly like him. Then he came to Manly and I would have rated him the best all round player in the game between 2008-2013. He is one of my all time favourites now!
I had killer on my watch list for 2 years before we got him just hoping for news linking him to us.

Andrew Johns.
Saw him playing juniors before a Manly v Newcastle game at Marathon.
Absolutely blitzed them and was a mile above every player on the field.

The winger in the 90's Andrew Hunter, big local, scored early on but never kicked on.

Remember watching Dane Chisholm carved us up for Storm reserves at Brookie, played like Ben Barba and then no where.

Steve Matai for me.. FOR memory one of his first NRL games was against the Dragons at Wynn stadium as soon as I saw him I thought he is going to be a high quality first grader.

I think he has done that and more.

Almost hate to say it, but watmough. Remember seeing him play against dragons in one of his very first games in the top grade - looked far too small for back row, but was the standout in that game for his non stop energy and enthusiasm. Just looked like a real competitor and a winner.
Agree. Can't remember who we were playing but Watmough came on (not sure if it was his first game) and basically ran the length of the field to score. The commentators thought he was a winger.
Saw the same thing many years earlier with Fatty Vautin on debut against Penrith. Also agree with Tooves and Beaver.

If i remember correctly, definitely at brookie, and possibly against the sharks?

i think I saw one of Matai's first games, a trial at leichhardt vs either WT or Balmain. There was a bit of talk about him and I liked what i saw, showed a bit in defence that night mainly, nothing special....but didn't that end up to turn out to be something!

As a long shot, i said to my housemates John Buttegeig would play origin....then 2 years or so later he did...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8