Players support NFL style lockout.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
...Over the salary cap....

SUPERSTARS Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston will take centre stage today as talks between the ARL Commission and players union threaten to erupt over the clubs' desire to ensure the salary cap remains at $5 million next season.....

.....Next year's salary cap has implications for several clubs, notably Parramatta and Manly. The Eels are desperately attempting to make room for Israel Folau while the Sea Eagles have been unable to register the contract of fullback Brett Stewart because they are over next year's cap. Mattiske also confirmed the commission was yet to register the contract of Sonny Bill Williams, who is due to return to rugby league with the Sydney Roosters next season.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/players-voice-support-for-nfl-style-lockout/story-fnca0von-1226527015985

.....Stewart's teammate Jamie Lyon yesterday supported an All Stars game boycott if the ARLC refused to play ball. "I think it's definitely an option and something we have to sit down and have a chat about,'' Lyon told Fox Sports

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/crunch-meeting-over-nrl-salary-cap-as-arl-refuses-to-budge/story-fndujljl-1226527029967

edit: The big problem is the players are sending in unqualified people (players) to negotiate an increase.

Smith, Thurston, and Hayne don't strike me as who I'd want to have the negotiating skills to get a 1.5 million cap increase.

Also:....What is also yet to be determined is whether the club grants - now set at $7 million - would rise in line with any cap increase. Cash-strapped clubs - which will be represented by Bulldogs boss Todd Greenberg at Friday's meeting - would push for the ARL Commission to foot the bill.

lolololol

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/mattiske-not-ruling-out-increase-in-salary-cap-20121129-2ais3.html#ixzz2DdTXELIi

About time the Players Association developed some balls and represented their group.

Im really pissed off at the ARLC 20,000k attendance target, whilst moving most games out of the Family timeslot into evenings and schooldays :huh:

Secondly, the ARLC bleet about keeping elite athletes in the NRL, yet they begrudge a fair share of Broadcast rights to the Clubs that need to recruit and retain the very same athletes :huh:

A $7 million cap should be the very lowest negotiation point by the Players Association and Club Administrators.:exclamation:

Thank God that Greenturd considers his Centre of Excellence and impoverished enterprise. Makes Brookie a candidate for the Federal Government's Boat People handout :p

When is enough money, enough?

It seems our society is based on greed.

Without rugby league a lot of these guys would be driving trucks earning around $60K.

I may be out of step here but it seems to me that players get well paid at the moment.

I know they only have a short life in the game overall, but? Let's not kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

eagle-rock08 said:

Without rugby league a lot of these guys would be driving trucks earning around $60K.

I may be out of step here but it seems to me that players get well paid at the moment.

I know they only have a short life in the game overall, but? Let's not kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Without the players there would be no billion dollar TV deal. The players wages should reflect that.

I'm with the players on this. I read they want 6.5 million to be spread amongst the top 30 in each club. 2
With injuries top 25 squads are too small.

eagle-rock08 said:

So your saying if the company you work for somehow got a heap of money via a new contract you'd be happy to stay at the pay that your on?

Most company's have bonus's in built or employees get renumerated in the next eba.

Go players go! I agree thought that they need some smarter players in the negotiating room. Perhaps they should sack their Players Union Rep while they are at it.

The current dithering by the ARLC is unacceptable. They know the TV income for the next 5 years, plus they have digital, NZ rights, finals and merchandising to be added on top and they can't give a figure for next year or any other. Hopeless.

I'm supporting the players on this.

If you're gonna have a nudge at others calling them stupid probably not a bad idea to have your own house in order 1st

eagles2win said:
eagle-rock08 said:

So your saying if the company you work for somehow got a heap of money via a new contract you'd be happy to stay at the pay that your on?

Most company's have bonus's in built or employees get renumerated in the next eba.

I think you mean "many companies do but most don't"---but in terms of individual contracts most do.

There should not be a salary cap to start with fullstop.

Kiwi Eagle said:
If you're gonna have a nudge at others calling them stupid probably not a bad idea to have your own house in order 1st

Yeah KE, where is your fullstop?

:p:D

I have no fixed opinion on player payments, but here are some facts. Club sponsorships, gate takings, membership and merchandise sales barely cover the running costs of a club, so there's no share of that revenue for the players. The salary cap amount is matched by a club grant from the NRL (I concede in 2013 it will be greater than). If we take a bit of a guess at the salary cap for the next 5 years and assume that what we are really carving up is the TV rights money of $1 billion over the next 5 years, then the sums are like this:

2013 Cap $5.00 million X 16 Clubs = $80 million
2014 Cap $5.75 million X 16 Clubs = $92 million
2015 Cap $6.50 million X 16 Clubs = $104 million
2016 Cap $7.25 million X 16 Clubs = $116 million
2017 Cap $8.00 million X 16 Clubs = $128 million

TOTAL = $520 million or 52% of the available revenue.

Remember this is just the elite players. It leaves $480 million over 5 years to pay for NRL overheads, marketing of the game and development of the grassroots of the game.

So how much more do the elite players want?

Fully support increasing the minimum payment for the top 30 players to say $90k pa and big improvements in concessions for long serving players.

Salary cap should be $5.5m next year so we can keep snake and our other players.

The Eagle said:
Stevo said:
Frogz said:
Thurston and Hayne couldnt spell there own names....

Thay cant spell there own names?

Grammatical corrections must make one feel good about their small man syndrome, I'd like to thank God I'm not small

Just on Grammar, "Grammatical corrections must make one feel good about one's small man syndrome".

Back in your hole with your thesaurus, Shane.

Club revenue would increase dramatically if the ARL scheduled matches when fans wanted to attend. In Manly's case, it would be on a Sunday afternoon.

Trouble is that Channel Nein schedule matches to keep fans away from attending and in front of a television. The poor scheduling also reduces the opportunity for clubs to make money by selling memberships.

Because the ARL has sold its soul to TV, broadcast fees make up the vast majority of revenue the game turns over.
The clubs are unable to make more money and have to act like beggars to the ARL. It's undignified.
For me, the clubs, and we fans, are being screwed.

The Who said:
Club revenue would increase dramatically if the ARL scheduled matches when fans wanted to attend. In Manly's case, it would be on a Sunday afternoon.

Trouble is that Channel Nein schedule matches to keep fans away from attending and in front of a television. The poor scheduling also reduces the opportunity for clubs to make money by selling memberships.

Because the ARL has sold its soul to TV, broadcast fees make up the vast majority of revenue the game turns over.
The clubs are unable to make more money and have to act like beggars to the ARL. It's undignified.
For me, the clubs, and we fans, are being screwed.

And couple that with "we are aiming to get 20,000 people per game" but in reality are scheduling games so that this can not happen can only mean that once again the arlc are 'selling' out to 9 via ultimately shifting most matches to big soulless stadiums.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6