Players boycott media due to nrl dispute

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah I wont be getting my knickers in a knot here.

Players need to look after their interests, the NRL theirs. It has clearly taken too long but it will get sorted.

Play on

He has no knees when he retires, most likely no other skills as he has dedicated himself to the game….all for 120k a year?

Not saying he needs a pension etc but a clear post retirement pathway should be in place
Sounds like Scorflufus....

Scorflufus​

There are many diseases,
That strike people's kneeses,
Scorflufus! is one by name
It comes from the East
Packed in bladders of yeast
So the Chinese must take half the blame.

There's a case in the files
Of Sir Barrington-Pyles
While hunting a fox one day
Shot up in the air
And remained hanging there!
While the hairs on his socks turned grey!

Aye!Scorflufus had struck!
At man, beast, and duck.
And the knees of the world went Bong!
Some knees went Ping!
Other knees turned to string
From Balham to old Hong Kong.

Should you hold your life dear,
Then the remedy's clear,
If you're offered some yeast - don't eat it!
Turn the offer down flat-
Don your travelling hat-
Put an egg in your boot - and beat it!

It’s also interesting that the first thought of some is to side with the players against the ALRC and NRL.

Personally, I can’t ‘back’ one over the other. The players have the right to collectively bargain and seek what they believe is the best deal for them and the NRL is perfectly entitled to pursue positions that it believes are in the best interests of the game as a whole. Neither are, in my view, acting unreasonable.

A deal will get done soon enough - there is too much at stake for both sides.
I have no idea what the details are and don't especially care.

However given there is a dispute I couldn't help looking at the 2 disputants...

On one side is a player association in a sport where a handful of players get a small fortune but most get at best moderate remuneration for a limited few years, many players finish careers pretty crook, physical injuries, drug and alcohol and gambling issues after all the bonding sessions, and, as is becoming apparent, some will have debilitating or fatal brain injuries.

In the blue corner are a few slick professional or business types, supposedly charged with being guardians of the game and doing a great job for the broadcasting corporations. While the game in the bush and at grass roots might (we hear) be continuing a decades long downwards spiral.

So the clincher was simply the fact that players are the ones I cheer for on weekends (but I'm really not very excited about it all)

He has no knees when he retires, most likely no other skills as he has dedicated himself to the game….all for 120k a year?

Not saying he needs a pension etc but a clear post retirement pathway should be in place
On the same note my cousin who just turned 48 has just had his second knee replaced, left hip shaved and cleaned out, full shoulder reconstruction and a lower back vertebrae fused. All in the last 6 years. Why? Because he was a local level country sports star in both league and cricket.

He's also an electrician who can't climb a ladder or lift his right arm above his head.

He also dedicated 15 years of his younger life to the game for just the love of it and some beer money.

If Lawton is careful 120k a season should help him to get on a better wicket post retirement.

Pretty much every player has a deep teal square on their insta with the words underneath: Players are UNITED. We will continue fighting for what is fair. This is not just about pay. @NRL listen to us. @rlplayers
All except Aloiai who changes the words that every UNITED player has used to: @nrl no game without your players 👂
Of course he did.

It's not just about earning a comfortable wage, it's also about how much you make for an employer and how much comes back to you.

Hypothetical question. If you were the sole employee of a business making $100k, that did little more than organised where and when you work and they took $65k and gave you $35k would you consider that fair just because $35k covered your bills, people used to do it for free and the average person earned less?

So, based on how much you earn for your employer ... how much do you think the women players deserve for a 6 game season ... and negative return ...

So, based on how much you earn for your employer ... how much do you think the women players deserve for a 6 game season ... and negative return ...
By your reckoning Woodsie, I wouldn’t want to work in palliative care 🤣🤣

I can't blame the players for wanting some support post their career. I wonder who determines what those within the NRL get paid and what benefits they receive. Their is a lot of money coming in from the broadcasting deals and all the mouths in the trough should be accountable and transparent.
It surprises me that something hasn't been done along these lines well before this, the league seems to be very slow moving into the modern age, not sure those in charge have got much of a clue

It surprises me that something hasn't been done along these lines well before this, the league seems to be very slow moving into the modern age, not sure those in charge have got much of a clue
Seems the focus has been mainly trying to get the N R L into a better financial footing and position . Able to provide a 25 % boost in cap allocations seems very impressive to me , especially how disruptive the past few years has been with covid and so on . Obviously will not get everything right but no doubt should or do give every indication of being able to work or manage through the different issues and challenges with a fair degree of professionalism . Thankfully a vast improvement on the Greenberg and some previous administrations .

I’d imagine Vlandy’s next move will be to agree to post football support funded by a percentage of every player’s wage. A bit like super.

I don't know what they deserve,but in the real world you would expect your employment with your company to be short-lived lol....I get your point,no large organisation shares the profits equally,that is not the capitalist system comrade.

By your reckoning Woodsie, I wouldn’t want to work in palliative care 🤣🤣

IT wasn't a statement Budgie, it was a question ... one that shows that running the show is not as simple as people think ... personally I love women's soccer, cricket and league, and are happy to have the games supported during it's growth stages ... but there are always economic realites.

Unlike some sports around the world, the NRL isn't just responsible for the elite competitions, but also responsible for funding much of the bush footy and the juniors ... getting the balance right ain't a job for biff and his mate cletus ...

IT wasn't a statement Budgie, it was a question ... one that shows that running the show is not as simple as people think ... personally I love women's soccer, cricket and league, and are happy to have the games supported during it's growth stages ... but there are always economic realites.

Unlike some sports around the world, the NRL isn't just responsible for the elite competitions, but also responsible for funding much of the bush footy and the juniors ... getting the balance right ain't a job for biff and his mate cletus ...
Totally agree. But without seed money, there’s be no Women’s soccer etc, some apps would never have gotten off the ground, and we’d all be in danger of getting polio etc. I guess my point was that immediate roi expectations don’t always lead to the good stuff.
And yes, bush footy is in big trouble. Some how the AFL manages to grow in the bush and the Women’s game. Not our lot!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2