Players boycott media due to nrl dispute

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just a rough[ mental ] calculation and 2 . 3 mil divided by 34 [ squad members and dev . for instances ] i get around 70 k per player . Obviously the lower paid players will not be receiving that amount from the basic salary level which means the higher paid members will be getting proportionally more , especially the top tier lads . Just think that there is already a bit of an imbalance and probably will only be more pronounced with this development .

I don't believe the clubs owe the players anything when their time is up. None of my ex employers gave me anything when I left. The players know what career is ahead of them in league, they know what they need to do to ensure something after football. Some do it and others don't. How long does a club have to baby these guys for. I
Are your jobs as physical? If you get injured insome jobs there is workers compensation etc

What happens to a league player who gets injured?

Minimum salary for an NRL player is now 120k. I would say that's above average for having to train 5 days a week and play a game for 80 min. A lot of society work 50+ hour weeks and get half that.

On the other point its a choice is it not? I chose my line of work and will be guided by that choice. The money I make, the path my life goes is up to me.

Sports stars too often burn through the cash and then cry poor at retirement.

The only thing I think the game should be doing (and this might be your very point?) is making it compulsory for players up to the age of 21 attend and complete some sort of further education so if they fail or if they get injured they have something to fall back on. No education pass no contract. Simple.
We have a very big difference in views of what most people who play nrl are on. For every DCE there are far more Lawtons etc

Are your jobs as physical? If you get injured insome jobs there is workers compensation etc

Is there some type of insurance safe guard through the N R L .just thinking of Alex Mc Kinnon . Or maybe players have , [ should have ] personal insurance but that could be a bit prohibitive

Like Tommy T, he gets paid handsomely as do those that are contracted. Not many get medically retired. But even they get a payout. They aren't thrown on the scrap heap when they are injured. But its not the clubs job when they finish. A player gets 2 injuries at 2 clubs...who pays?????

The NRL made $600M last year. The new salary cap of $12.6M x 17 teams equates to 35.7% of revenue.

In world sport the players percentage of revenue ranges from tennis at 17.5% to EPL at 61%. All 4 of the big American sports are around 50%.

I get that it may seem entitled for players to demand more money but at the end of the day they are the main ingredient in a product that generates a lot of $$.

Good on them, get what you can while you can.

Like Tommy T, he gets paid handsomely as do those that are contracted. Not many get medically retired. But even they get a payout. They aren't thrown on the scrap heap when they are injured. But its not the clubs job when they finish. A player gets 2 injuries at 2 clubs...who pays?????
Tommy t is the very best of the best and not really representative. I am thinking of the hooker we signed (name escapes me) who has had that many knee injuries he is bound for a knee replacement when he is older

A payout of a low end contract with no skills? The game asks for so much I do not think a little in return is out of the order

Is there some type of insurance safe guard through the N R L .just thinking of Alex Mc Kinnon . Or maybe players have , [ should have ] personal insurance but that could be a bit prohibitive
I am not sure but I do not think it is comprehensive- again Alex m was a bit different due to the high profile nature of it

Tommy t is the very best of the best and not really representative. I am thinking of the hooker we signed (name escapes me) who has had that many knee injuries he is bound for a knee replacement when he is older

A payout of a low end contract with no skills? The game asks for so much I do not think a little in return is out of the order
Mal Cochrane?

We have a very big difference in views of what most people who play nrl are on. For every DCE there are far more Lawtons etc
I’m in the rail industry, guys break themselves for 80k- 100k doing 10-12 hour shifts. And ther grateful to do it and support there families.

120-150k minimum is very very generous for the bottom tier players. And when they retire? Guess what, join the real world like every single person in Australia, including every fan on this site like yourself.

I agree if they have a long term injury they should be supported..

Not having a direct go at you @lsz , just think these guys need some perspective.

I’m in the rail industry, guys break themselves for 80k- 100k doing 10-12 hour shifts. And ther grateful to do it and support there families.

120-150k minimum is very very generous for the bottom tier players. And when they retire? Guess what, join the real world like every single person in Australia, including every fan on this site like yourself.

I agree if they have a long term injury they should be supported..

Not having a direct go at you @lsz , just think these guys need some perspective.
It's not just about earning a comfortable wage, it's also about how much you make for an employer and how much comes back to you.

Hypothetical question. If you were the sole employee of a business making $100k, that did little more than organised where and when you work and they took $65k and gave you $35k would you consider that fair just because $35k covered your bills, people used to do it for free and the average person earned less?

Last edited:
It's not just about earning a comfortable wage, it's also about how much you make for an employer and how much comes back to you.

Hypothetical question. If you were the sole employee of a business that did little more than organised where and when you work and they took $65k and gave you $35k would you consider that fair just because $35k covered your bills, people used to do it for free and some people earn less?
Well here’s the thing, the players think they aren’t replaceable. They are, for every star, there is another 3 ready to step up. History backs that up.
You think every single NSW cup , QLD cup player wouldn’t jump at the chance to play on prime time tv? On 150k? They would play twice a week..

Your Hypothetical question is irrelevant, the players don’t make the money for the NRL. The GAME does. Everyone is forgetting that. I watch rugby league, more to the point Manly for the game. Not because of the player. The players are over estimating there own value.

Well here’s the thing, the players think they aren’t replaceable. They are, for every star, there is another 3 ready to step up. History backs that up.
You think every single NSW cup , QLD cup player wouldn’t jump at the chance to play on prime time tv? On 150k? They would play twice a week..

Your Hypothetical question is irrelevant, the players don’t make the money for the NRL. The GAME does. Everyone is forgetting that. I watch rugby league, more to the point Manly for the game. Not because of the player. The players are over estimating there own value.
I do agree that 1 player is replaceable but the RLPA has given them a unified voice. 500 players aren't replaceable. Why don't TV networks pay Millions for the broadcast rights of NSW/QLD cup? Truth is it's the battle of the best of the best that draws the eyeballs. If the top 500 players boycotted it would cost the game hundreds of millions.

I do agree that 1 player is replaceable but the RLPA has given them a unified voice. 500 players aren't replaceable. Why don't TV networks pay Millions for the broadcast rights of NSW/QLD cup? Truth is it's the battle of the best of the best that draws the eyeballs. If the top 500 players boycotted it would cost the game hundreds of millions.
Put those NSW and QLD cup players in NRL jersey’s and it’s still about the game. And more importantly tribalism. And players would step up and new stars born.100% people would watch it.

Anyway that’s just my opinion @Will on the hill. and my opinion means zero. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to a strike and we get a firing Manly come March..

It's interesting how the first thought of many here was to side with the ARLC and NRL against the players. I'll back the players.
It’s also interesting that the first thought of some is to side with the players against the ALRC and NRL.

Personally, I can’t ‘back’ one over the other. The players have the right to collectively bargain and seek what they believe is the best deal for them and the NRL is perfectly entitled to pursue positions that it believes are in the best interests of the game as a whole. Neither are, in my view, acting unreasonable.

A deal will get done soon enough - there is too much at stake for both sides.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4