Player Ratings - Semi Final 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
A sad and somewhat controversial end to our season on Friday night against the Vermin at ANZ. But ultra proud of Des and all the players and staff involved with this team throughout the year. Manly.....is back.

Brendan Elliot 4/10 - Fairly good in attack, but sadly not his best night in defence at the back.

Jorge Taufua 3/10 - TBH, if not for his double shot on Ethan Lowe.....they could have put Jorge on the Missing Persons list. He was hardly sighted making only 32 metres from 5 runs and 4 tackles all night, plus that mix up with Elliot over who was going to catch a bomb, which they both bombed in the end. Was he even out there in the first half?

Moses Suli 8/10 - Suli was great in attack, absolutely brilliant. 143 metres, 41 post contact, 11 tackle busts, 1 line break, 1 line break assist and a try. But flip the coin and 4 of Souffs 5 tries were scored on our right, yet Moses only made 4 tackles all game while missing 1 (Murray also just stepped straight past him for the match winner). Souffs ran a lot of their attack to our right, yet Moses only got involved in 5 tackles. He's starting to see his attacking potential, but as a centre he needs to work on getting involved with improved defensive efforts.

Brad Parker 4/10 - Mixed night for Hank Scorpio. Scored a try, almost scored another and ran the ball strongly. But he undid a lot of his good work with his 10 minutes for tripping James Roberts, then a bonehead, ill-disciplined play when he tackled Roberts in mid-air when he was taking a DCE bomb.

Reuben Garrick 5/10 - Decent enough game from Reubs, in attack. 143 running metres, 3/5 goals and gave the last pass for Suli's try. But was only 1 from 4 with his tackle attempts and in defence at least formed part of a very weak defensive outer right edge with Suli.

Dylan Walker 7/10 - A pretty good game from Walks all round. 2 line break assists, 2 try assists and 11 tackles made from 12 attempts. Also ran for 84 metres from 10 runs with 3 tackle breaks. Made a crucial knock on when Jake was in the bin.

Daly Cherry-Evans 7/10 - Like Walker, a pretty good game from Cherry. 1 line break, 1 try assist, 21 tackles (2 missed), a forced drop out and his league leading 5th 40/20 of the season. Silly blunder at the end not getting his goal line drop out before the clock expired was costly, but we should never have been in that position in the first place.

Addin Fonua-Blake 9/10 - Another great game from the AFBeast. In attack he made 169 metres (the most of any player equal with Liam Knight), 77 post contact metres and a tackle break. In defence he was a tower of strength with 36 tackles and only 1 miss.

Api Koroisau 6/10 - As usual, Api's biggest contribution was in defence with 35 tackles and only 1 miss.

Martin Taupau 6/10 - Strong running from Marty in his return to the side with 147 metres and 3 offloads, and plenty of good defence with 37 tackles. But he missed a team high 4 tackles. Like Walker made a crucial knock on when Jake was off the field.

Corey Waddell 6/10 - Corey had a decent night and made life hard for Adam Reynolds in defence. 105 metres, 3 tackle breaks and 2 line breaks is a good return. Decent enough in defence with 29 tackles, but was one of 5 Manly players to miss 3 tackles.

Jack Gosiewski 7/10 - Jetski had a fairly good night. He was strong in both attack and defence and although he lost his cool and gave away a penalty when Souffs should have had a line drop out, it actually resulted in Cody Walker's sin-bin and we scored in that time so that part worked out well.

Jake Trbojevic 7/10 - Yet another strong game from Jake, especially in defence with 40 tackles without a miss, but he needs to put more oomph into his runs with only 88 from 13 goes. We know he's capable with multiple 150+ metre games, I just wish he'd do it more often. Wrongly given 10 minutes in the bin for the Gagai incident and it would prove extremely crucial to the outcome of the game, and our season.

Manase Fainu 6/10 - As usual, things seem to happen in attack when Fainu is at dummy half and so it was on Friday night when most of our points came from when he was on the field. OK in defence with 20 tackles, but he also missed 3.

Haumole Olakau'atu 2/10 - Got limited time on the field right at the end.

Sean Keppie 5/10 - Not too bad for only his 3rd first grade game. Was OK in attack with 71 metres from 7 runs with 31 post contact metres. Made 14 tackles, but was one of "missed 3" brigade.

Lloyd Perrett 4/10 - Didn't see a lot of game time, but was OK when he was on. Had the fastest time of any player from either side with an average of just 2.56 seconds to do his 3 play the balls.

The 2019 season has sadly come to an end for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. A season where we surprised all bar die hard Manly fans who knew how much talent this team really had, but just needed something to bring it out.

That something as it turned out was the return of Des Hasler as coach.

After a dismal 2018, in many eyes Manly started the season as favourites for the clubs first ever wooden spoon. We had largely the same squad, and those added over the off-season weren't expected to do much to help the situation. But the one thing the experts didn't count on was Des and his merry men (er....staff) of Donny, Crusher, Snake, Monas and Matty B re-igniting the Manly culture of old. The gritty, fighting, never give up, never write us off and nothing less than success will suffice Manly the we know and love.

The players bought into it and instead of finishing 16th as many predicted, we finished 6th and made it through to the second week of the Finals while other more fancied teams are all wondering what went wrong for them.

Did we deserve to go out like we did? No, I don't believe so. I'm 100% with Des in the fact that if Jake hadn't been sent to the bin, we would be talking about what we need to do to beat Canberra on Friday night. I'm not going to get into the hows and why's and whatever's of the sin-bin (or the NRL's official response), but unfortunately it played a huge role in deciding the outcome of our season. The media keep asking when a referee blunder is going to cost a team its season, especially in Finals footy. Somehow its escaped their knowledge that it happened 4 times to Manly in this decade. I guess because its Manly it doesn't count (kinda like the 7th tackle fiasco in 1978 counts because it benefited Manly, but a 7th tackle try the 1995 GF didn't because we lost).

If we can largely retain this playing group, and of course if we can stay relatively injury free, I see no reason why 2020 can't be even better for the mighty Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.

However, as far as 2019 goes, in the immortal words of Porky Pig....that's all folks.

Last edited:
Thanks HV8, you’ve had a great rookie year, looking forward to your second season in 2020.

Jorge - all the plays were going down Suli’s right hand side for obvious reasons, not Jorge’s fault his run numbers were down
Waddell - I’d bump up to a 7 on the back of the nice line he ran for his first ever NRL try!
Keppie - averaging over 10m per run in the NRL is better than ok in my books; a 6 for mine

Thanks, that's a pretty good assessment.
All of our players did a lot right against Souths but there were some shortcomings too and I'm sure that is where Des will focus, not on the Jake thing. Yes binning Jake cost us the game but there were so many areas we should have done just a little better and then we would never have been in that position.
Elliott has been an excellent backup for Turbo this year but has really been found out in defence lately. Quite a poor miss on Johnson for their first try.
Waddell was excellent - yet he bombed a try that could have proved the difference.
Parker so good but could also argue he cost us the game with his sin-bin and penalty.
Jetski - despite Walker being binned, his dumb act let Souths off the hook at a crucial time.
Garrick - a brilliant run and pass for DCE try but a couple of extra goals could have made the difference.
All up, better team lost but our own fault really.
I'd give DCE and Walker 8, or at least 7.5 :)

Thanks HV8, you’ve had a great rookie year, looking forward to your second season in 2020.

Jorge - all the plays were going down Suli’s right hand side for obvious reasons, not Jorge’s fault his run numbers were down
Waddell - I’d bump up to a 7 on the back of the nice line he ran for his first ever NRL try!
Keppie - averaging over 10m per run in the NRL is better than ok in my books; a 6 for mine

True, Jorge didn't see a lot of the play because we mostly went to the right side. However, I don't give trophies for participating. You've got to earn it. Other than his two hits on Lowe....just what did he do? He rarely came in off his wing looking for work and spent most of his night (as Bob McCarthy once said about his wingers when talking about his GF intercept try in 1967) playing hopscotch out on the wing.

With The Phantom, there are times when he leaves the jungle and walks the streets dressed like an ordinary man. With Jorge, there are games where he looks to get involved, where he goes infield and takes some hard runs. And with Jorge there are games where he can be lazier than Suli on a bad day and he just stays out on his wing catching a cold. Friday night was one of those lazier games for Jorge.

Last edited:
A sad and somewhat controversial end to our season on Friday night against the Vermin at ANZ. But ultra proud of Des and all the players and staff involved with this team throughout the year. Manly.....is back.

Brendan Elliot 4/10 - Fairly good in attack, but sadly not his best night in defence at the back.

Jorge Taufua 3/10 - TBH, if not for his double shot on Ethan Lowe.....they could have put Jorge on the Missing Persons list. He was hardly sighted making only 32 metres from 5 runs and 4 tackles all night, plus that mix up with Elliot over who was going to catch a bomb, which they both bombed in the end. Was he even out there in the first half?

Moses Suli 8/10 - Suli was great in attack, absolutely brilliant. 143 metres, 41 post contact, 11 tackle busts, 1 line break, 1 line break assist and a try. But flip the coin and 4 of Souffs 5 tries were scored on our right, yet Moses only made 4 tackles all game while missing 1 (Murray also just stepped straight past him for the match winner). Souffs ran a lot of their attack to our right, yet Moses only got involved in 5 tackles. He's starting to see his attacking potential, but as a centre he needs to work on getting involved with improved defensive efforts.

Brad Parker 4/10 - Mixed night for Hank Scorpio. Scored a try, almost scored another and ran the ball strongly. But he undid a lot of his good work with his 10 minutes for tripping James Roberts, then a bonehead, ill-disciplined play when he tackled Roberts in mid-air when he was taking a DCE bomb.

Reuben Garrick 5/10 - Decent enough game from Reubs, in attack. 143 running metres, 3/5 goals and gave the last pass for Suli's try. But was only 1 from 4 with his tackle attempts and in defence at least formed part of a very weak defensive outer right edge with Suli.

Dylan Walker 7/10 - A pretty good game from Walks all round. 2 line break assists, 2 try assists and 11 tackles made from 12 attempts. Also ran for 84 metres from 10 runs with 3 tackle breaks. Made a crucial knock on when Jake was in the bin.

Daly Cherry-Evans 7/10 - Like Walker, a pretty good game from Cherry. 1 line break, 1 try assist, 21 tackles (2 missed), a forced drop out and his league leading 5th 40/20 of the season. Silly blunder at the end not getting his goal line drop out before the clock expired was costly, but we should never have been in that position in the first place.

Addin Fonua-Blake 9/10 - Another great game from the AFBeast. In attack he made 169 metres (the most of any player equal with Liam Knight), 77 post contact metres and a tackle break. In defence he was a tower of strength with 36 tackles and only 1 miss.

Api Koroisau 6/10 - As usual, Api's biggest contribution was in defence with 35 tackles and only 1 miss.

Martin Taupau 6/10 - Strong running from Marty in his return to the side with 147 metres and 3 offloads, and plenty of good defence with 37 tackles. But he missed a team high 4 tackles. Like Walker made a crucial knock on when Jake was off the field.

Corey Waddell 6/10 - Corey had a decent night and made life hard for Adam Reynolds in defence. 105 metres, 3 tackle breaks and 2 line breaks is a good return. Decent enough in defence with 29 tackles, but was one of 5 Manly players to miss 3 tackles.

Jack Gosiewski 7/10 - Jetski had a fairly good night. He was strong in both attack and defence and although he lost his cool and gave away a penalty when Souffs should have had a line drop out, it actually resulted in Cody Walker's sin-bin and we scored in that time so that part worked out well.

Jake Trbojevic 7/10 - Yet another strong game from Jake, especially in defence with 40 tackles without a miss, but he needs to put more oomph into his runs with only 88 from 13 goes. We know he's capable with multiple 150+ metre games, I just wish he'd do it more often. Wrongly given 10 minutes in the bin for the Gagai incident and it would prove extremely crucial to the outcome of the game, and our season.

Manase Fainu 6/10 - As usual, things seem to happen in attack when Fainu is at dummy half and so it was on Friday night when most of our points came from when he was on the field. OK in defence with 20 tackles, but he also missed 3.

Haumole Olakau'atu 2/10 - Got limited time on the field right at the end.

Sean Keppie 5/10 - Not too bad for only his 3rd first grade game. Was OK in attack with 71 metres from 7 runs with 31 post contact metres. Made 14 tackles, but was one of "missed 3" brigade.

Lloyd Perrett 4/10 - Didn't see a lot of game time, but was OK when he was on. Had the fastest time of any player from either side with an average of just 2.56 seconds to do his 3 play the balls.

The 2019 season has sadly come to an end for the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. A season where we surprised all bar die hard Manly fans who knew how much talent this team really had, but just needed something to bring it out.

That something as it turned out was the return of Des Hasler as coach.

After a dismal 2018, in many eyes Manly started the season as favourites for the clubs first ever wooden spoon. We had largely the same squad, and those added over the off-season weren't expected to do much to help the situation. But the one thing the experts didn't count on was Des and his merry men (er....staff) of Donny, Crusher, Snake, Monas and Matty B re-igniting the Manly culture of old. The gritty, fighting, never give up, never write us off and nothing less than success will suffice Manly the we know and love.

The players bought into it and instead of finishing 16th as many predicted, we finished 6th and made it through to the second week of the Finals while other more fancied teams are all wondering what went wrong for them.

Did we deserve to go out like we did? No, I don't believe so. I'm 100% with Des in the fact that if Jake hadn't been sent to the bin, we would be talking about what we need to do to beat Canberra on Friday night. I'm not going to get into the hows and why's and whatever's of the sin-bin (or the NRL's official response), but unfortunately it played a huge role in deciding the outcome of our season. The media keep asking when a referee blunder is going to cost a team its season, especially in Finals footy. Somehow its escaped their knowledge that it happened 4 times to Manly in this decade. I guess because its Manly it doesn't count (kinda like the 7th tackle fiasco in 1978 counts because it benefited Manly, but a 7th tackle try the 1995 GF didn't because we lost).

If we can largely retain this playing group, and of course if we can stay relatively injury free, I see no reason why 2020 can't be even better for the mighty Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.

However, as far as 2019 goes, in the immortal words of Porky Pig....that's all folks.
Great post, many thanks HV8. Very fair and insightful ratings.
Our right edge defence, as well as Saturday's refereeing, cost us our season over the past 3 weeks. Needs serious attention from Des & the merry men this summer.
All I want for Christmas is a season free from major injuries to our key players. Too much to ask?

Nice work HV8, I like your well thought out summations, don’t always agree with your ratings but that’s perfectly fine as we all see games differently in parts.

Now we just have to get some weekly input from @ellakasmar next year and we’ve added some really great content to Silvertails.

Last edited:
I'd bump everyone up a point. It was a semi final and we played well enough that we should have won. Good intensity across the park and we dominated them up in attack. The only area I would mark down is defence inside our 20m zone, we let ourselves down with that.

I'd bump everyone up a point. It was a semi final and we played well enough that we should have won. Good intensity across the park and we dominated them up in attack. The only area I would mark down is defence inside our 20m zone, we let ourselves down with that.

Yes I understand why but thought the points were a little down this week.

We made some mistakes but boy didn’t we bust out arses as well ( mostly).

Nice work HV8
I would have rated everyone a little higher. I felt it was a mighty team effort with Manly robbed of a classic win.
The swamp there at Homebush is very slippery and dewy, it wasn't surprising that there were more missed tackles than normal. For that reason i would have marked more lightly.
I did notice Elliot played a bit like a minor leaguer. I can see why Des was testing Reuben Sandwich at fullback, and I expect him to emerge the backup for Tom next year.
NYEagle

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4