Player Exodus

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
I have a question for those who are savvy with contract law.

Would it be possible to stipulate in a contract that buy signing to play in the NRL (as a junior) you must also agree to commit the first 10 years of your career (should you make 1st grade) to the NRL competition exclusively?

Or are we talking a restraint of trade? Considering you can be given the option to sign or not I would image as long as they agree to that clause then all would be fine.

We seriously need to find an answer to the players leaving the game and when Matt King is offered $600,000 a season that a rise in the salary cap by $100K won't cut the mustard. The NRL must come up with an alternate deterrent for teh players that are leaving the game.

Perhaps the NRL could think of adding an increased percentage to the players superannuation depending on years service.

Even an NRL payout for finishing your career having played only in the NRL.

Does anybody else have any ideas that the NRL could use to possibly stop the annual northern hemisphere migration?

It would be restraint of trade. What are you worried about? It's generally only **** players or ones needing a large last contract that go over there anyway.

Too cold for most.

What are you worried about?

To be honest with you I don't really give a flying f**k.

I am told over and over again that people are sick and tired of talking about the same things.

So I though I would change it up a bit and try to discuss a topic that is currently a big issue in RL.

I guess all those who complain about the subject matter of the site really do back it up. 18 views and 1 reply. :wall:

As an old bloke I think anyone going over and getting a big super payout is showing smarts and shouldn't be hindered.

I know the exodus and losing the stars to England is made out to be a huge thing, and it probably is an issue, but not as big as i think gets made out

Rugby League has a brilliant production line, and for every one of these old blokes that depart, there seem to be 2-3 young superstars rolling off the production line each year to replace them

Old blokes and not top line players i'm fine with leaving... but representative blokes leaving is a concern IMO.

I don't know what the answer is yet... If I were playing I can honestly say that I wouldn't go over there no matter how much I was offered.. If the club I was with was happy for me to stay then I'd be staying.. but that's me.

But concessions for topline players in the salary cap is an answer... giving the other blokes in the team more slice of the salary cap pie???

I don't know.. It is something i'll think about and get back to you, flip.

Would it be possible to stipulate in a contract that buy signing to play in the NRL (as a junior) you must also agree to commit the first 10 years of your career (should you make 1st grade) to the NRL competition exclusively?

Or are we talking a restraint of trade? Considering you can be given the option to sign or not I would image as long as they agree to that clause then all would be fine.

We seriously need to find an answer to the players leaving the game and when Matt King is offered $600,000 a season that a rise in the salary cap by $100K won't cut the mustard. The NRL must come up with an alternate deterrent for teh players that are leaving the game.

Perhaps the NRL could think of adding an increased percentage to the players superannuation depending on years service.

Even an NRL payout for finishing your career having played only in the NRL.

Does anybody else have any ideas that the NRL could use to possibly stop the annual northern hemisphere migration?

I dont think a commitment in a contract to a code for a lengthy period would be workable. Wether it could be construed as a restraint of trade would be left to the adjudicator, but the main reason is simply the issue of costs.

Contracts shouldnt be written with clauses that may be forseen to be breached, and if such a long term clause was written you only end up with a high chance of a test case being required to determine the legitimacy.

I like the idea of an incentive system for players that remain loyal the game even after retirement. Rather than a payment that is received in super or as an end of career loyalty bonus, id like to see any payment be for ongoing services. Such as local area ambassadors, country area reps, youth training, or school liason officers or some such.

I dont think it is that bigger a issue tbh, however guys like King leaving who are fairly young still is a worry but we just can not compete with the money, if we try it will be detrimentle to the game as a whole.

The majority who leave are coming towards the end of their careers anyway and want a pension, always younger guys looking to step up to the plate. Every year we always have a fair few new players to grade stand up, we will be ok.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4