Phil Gould - Player Agent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As mentioned in the much loved but rarely read 'general nrl' thread (look...it's up there :handpointup:) Phil Gould is getting some ducks in order.

Quack.

It’s the career change that is going to shake up rugby league: Phil Gould, the game’s No.1 analyst, former Origin coach, former boss of Penrith and premiership-winning coach is on the verge of becoming a player agent.

It’s a move that will change the player-management landscape and add to the power Gould already wields.

It’s a shock move from one of the most influential men in the sport, but he has thought long and hard about it and will try to get accredited in the next agent intake in April. He has talked to the NRL and was told there is nothing in his way.

Gould has already started putting a team together to launch his venture, and he wants it to be a one-stop shop for players. The company will deal with contracts, finances, legal issues and player welfare, areas he has already dealt with in his role as club coach and club boss. He wants to manage every aspect of players’ lives – including their social media, image and something other managers can’t dream of offering, coaching. When it comes to motivation, there is no one better and his clients will get the benefit of that.

Some interesting goss in that report, not the least being Cronulla now (apparently) the Sydney club most likely to be re-located to squeeze in another Brisbane team. Firstly, it's much more sensible than trying to move the Mighty Manly and, secondly, Brisbane is large enough to support three or more clubs.
Cronulla has always had its share of problems. Being sandwiched between St George and Illawarra doesn't help, and its finances and management are questionable. But it does produce a host of good juniors and owns its own ground, two factors which Easts can't match.

Some interesting goss in that report, not the least being Cronulla now (apparently) the Sydney club most likely to be re-located to squeeze in another Brisbane team. Firstly, it's much more sensible than trying to move the Mighty Manly and, secondly, Brisbane is large enough to support three or more clubs.
Cronulla has always had its share of problems. Being sandwiched between St George and Illawarra doesn't help, and its finances and management are questionable. But it does produce a host of good juniors and owns its own ground, two factors which Easts can't match.
Agreed but I don’t think they produce good juniors. None since et.

Bit of a bugger. I was hoping he’d have a crack at Greenberg’s spot. No wonder the NRL told him there was nothing in his way. I bet Greenberg was the one that told him too.
I don’t know about Gus managing their social media accounts. There will be plenty of multiple accounts from the players I would think.

Phil Gould has defended his shock plan to become a player agent, despite an obvious conflict of interests with his Channel 9 media commitments in TV, podcasts and newspapers.
Gould is currently in Samoa on a fact-finding mission as he prepares to set up a management company, which has apparently been approved by the NRL.

We had the following text message exchange this morning.

Buzz: Hey Gus will you quit your media roles if you become a player manager to prevent a conflict of interests. Thx

Gus: Happy New Year to you too. I am in Samoa at the moment. Fact finding mission. Back Thursday or Friday.

Buzz: Happy NY. It’s a good story Gus on how you can juggle both jobs. We’re not getting any younger.

Gus: I have juggled roles all my life. I like being busy. My primary interest in rugby league has always been the improvement of our game, especially through the development of our future rugby league players. This is a good way to help make a difference.

Buzz: Might get you to do me a new deal at Fox!!!

Gus: No problem. I know the boss.

The Daily Telegraph has asked Channel 9 for a comment on the potential conflict of interests.

In recent years while Gould was Head of Football at Penrith, the network stopped Gould from commentating on Panthers matches.

NRL media folk trying to turn this into another round of irrelevant news stories. As if fans give a toss about who manages which players and all the battles between the mangers! Give us a break. Maybe its a sign that most NRL media folk have no idea how to actually write and talk about the game on the field.

Bit of a bugger. I was hoping he’d have a crack at Greenberg’s spot. No wonder the NRL told him there was nothing in his way. I bet Greenberg was the one that told him too.
I don’t know about Gus managing their social media accounts. There will be plenty of multiple accounts from the players I would think.
He can do both, run the nrl and manage players. The nrl actively encourages conflicts of interest.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4