People who Manly should have kept?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Always will be disappointing when promising Manly juniors are let go but also important to take into account the prevailing circumstances when those decisions are made . Obviously was a hard choice when Kite , Perry and Jason King were the prop mainstays and going quite well at the same time J W H was emerging as a good prospect . Just could not keep them all and would have been very good to have retained him but then probably would not have bought someone like Marty in the past few years . Guess that it is just a matter of perspective . Same with Gutho and in relation to keeping Snake going and bringing in Walker as a high profile recruit . Same with Ramien , Knight and no doubt others but have guys like Suli and ,Paseka making their mark now . Should have the opportunity to retain young Hoppa right now and hopefully he is one good current prospect who will stay around into the future ,

I remember Gutho playing his debut match for Manly as a winger, and scoring a try. He would have been prepared to play anywhere in the backline, and I find it hard to believe he demanded the fullback spot.
I am more inclined to believe that his knee injuries were the main reason we let him go.
All clubs make recruitment mistakes but Wests Tigers make the most. They have let go a phalanx of stars. Every time I watch Ado-Carr running the length of the field to score I think of the West Tigers' supporters and give a naughty giggle.

I remember Gutho playing his debut match for Manly as a winger, and scoring a try. He would have been prepared to play anywhere in the backline, and I find it hard to believe he demanded the fullback spot.
I am more inclined to believe that his knee injuries were the main reason we let him go.
All clubs make recruitment mistakes but Wests Tigers make the most. They have let go a phalanx of stars. Every time I watch Ado-Carr running the length of the field to score I think of the West Tigers' supporters and give a naughty giggle.
The whole ‘fullback’ thing is largely part of an Arthur Bradley disinformation campaign, to justify Gutherson joining Parramatta. I’m not sure why such a narrative was even necessary - Manly showed him the door, someone was always going to sign him. No need to justify it based on a preferred backline position.

Sure Gutherson’s preferred position is fullback. I think he has said as much. Fulton and co. however said you’re free to leave, despite Gutherson having a newly signed contract in his possession.

Deep down I imagine he still wishes he was at Manly.

Ivan Cleary would have been good for us in the late 90s and early 2000s, then he would still be here, possibly also with his son.

Keary, Nicho Hines, Verrills are three that would be nice to have at present.

Cleary was in the mix for a return towards the end of his playing career. The money he was after was reputedly pretty high for a bloke that had never figured in representative selections. I think from Manly’s perspective it was a case of ‘thanks but no thanks.’

I am always flabbergasted at the ‘He wouldn’t have played anywhere but fullback so stuff him’ logic some espouse.

Once again for the dim witted: Gutherson signed a contract with Manly at the same time as Jake and Tom, c. April 2015, knowing full well that the latter would be first choice fullback.

Gutherson did not want to leave.

He is making great strides elsewhere because Fulton and/or Barrett were concerned about his ACL history. Great decision Bob and Trent. Not.

You are forgetting to mention that both Matai and Lyon also had 2 more years to go on their contracts ..... it was simply a case of too much talent at the club and not enough money or places .....

You are forgetting to mention that both Matai and Lyon also had 2 more years to go on their contracts ..... it was simply a case of too much talent at the club and not enough money or places .....
No I didn’t Slinger.

Lyon retired at the end of 2016. Matai in early 2017. In short, about a year into Gutherson’s new contract.

Clearly a better strategy is to have your replacement/s waiting in the wings. Instead, we wound up with Walker from 2016 onwards - a talent, but a troublesome one and on more money from the start at Manly than Gutherson was at that stage. Maybe Souths were paying some of that, I don’t know.

Gutherson was still on around $150k at Parramatta, according to a recent report. Apparently we were subsidising him to play for another club. I know who I would prefer to have playing for Manly - a talented and cleanskin local junior, ahead of another of Fulton’s imported bad boys.

Of course shortly after Gutherson re-signed at Manly in 2015, the DCE deal was announced. That inflated and lengthy deal possibly played as big a reason for his leaving as any concerns about his ACLs.

None of that was Gutherson’s fault. Blame the idiots that mismanaged the club’s operational direction in the 2014/15 timeframe.

Phil Blake - should have kept him.

Eddie Lumsden - played a few games for Manly then ruled ineligible. Then he was miraculously eligible for St George and played a long a successful career.

Presumably the residency rule was still in force.
yeah but why ok for Saints? He came to manly from Kurri Kurri, not kogarah.

We also got screwed on Wally O'Connell. In his book he explains there were double standards in place. Some clubs got a free ride but the new clubs did it tough on this rule.

I am always flabbergasted at the ‘He wouldn’t have played anywhere but fullback so stuff him’ logic some espouse.

Once again for the dim witted: Gutherson signed a contract with Manly at the same time as Jake and Tom, c. April 2015, knowing full well that the latter would be first choice fullback.

Gutherson did not want to leave.

He is making great strides elsewhere because Fulton and/or Barrett were concerned about his ACL history. Great decision Bob and Trent. Not.

Correct. Tooves, Gutho, Tom and Jake could see something special building for us and they wanted to do it together.

The club went on to turf a quality coach, a quality junior and ended up ****ing us over by turning over an unusual number of players by our standards over the following years

Pretty sure with Gutho it was around the time we signed Marty T (and he ended up being available a year earlier than we thought meaning we had to free up cap space asap...so had to get rid of a valued asset like him)

I have no idea why he gets any hate. He signed a contract and was then shopped around to another club.

There is plenty of talk about players not respecting contracts however this was a case of a club not respecting a contract.

No I didn’t Slinger.

Lyon retired at the end of 2016. Matai in early 2017. In short, about a year into Gutherson’s new contract.

Clearly a better strategy is to have your replacement/s waiting in the wings. Instead, we wound up with Walker from 2016 onwards - a talent, but a troublesome one and on more money from the start at Manly than Gutherson was at that stage. Maybe Souths were paying some of that, I don’t know.

Gutherson was still on around $150k at Parramatta, according to a recent report. Apparently we were subsidising him to play for another club. I know who I would prefer to have playing for Manly - a talented and cleanskin local junior, ahead of another of Fulton’s imported bad boys.

Of course shortly after Gutherson re-signed at Manly in 2015, the DCE deal was announced. That inflated and lengthy deal possibly played as big a reason for his leaving as any concerns about his ACLs.

None of that was Gutherson’s fault. Blame the idiots that mismanaged the club’s operational direction in the 2014/15 timeframe.

I don't think you have made your point ... Snake had another year '16, Matai still had '16 and "17 and there was talk of Lyon signing for another year ..... with Snake, Tom, Matai and Lyon ... Gutho was looking at a long wait on Apprentice wages .... it was simply a case that our outside backs cup runnethed over ..

With injuries to the old war horses ... it is easy to be wise in hindsight .... but I would love to have been reading the posts on here if we had let any of the others go ... ...

I would have loved to have kept Gutho ... and as a Cromer Junior I would love to have him back ... but to blame people for his leaving is unrealistic ...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2