Past players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nthn NSW

Reserve Grader
As I'm only a young fella born in the mid 70's,I was hoping some of the older posters could fill me in on the Martin brothers(Ian and Steve).I realise they must have been handy as they held down spots in the great teams of the 70's.But just wondering if anyone could give me some more info on how they went(namely Ian).

They weren't brothers. Ian was awesome and he played no small part in the 4 manly premierships in the 70s. A great tackler and a good passer. Very tough, I can't remember him ever being run over the top of. He was the sort of guy who would clean up in cover defence, do 40 tackles and put guys into gaps. Local junior.

Steve Martin was from Wagga and a good half, but a little inconsistent - played for Australia though.

Shoe1 link said:
They weren't brothers. Ian was awesome and he played no small part in the 4 manly premierships in the 70s. A great tackler and a good passer. Very tough, I can't remember him ever being run over the top of. He was the sort of guy who would clean up in cover defence, do 40 tackles and put guys into gaps. Local junior.

Steve Martin was from Wagga and a good half, but a little inconsistent - played for Australia though.
Cheers mate.
He now lives 3 doors up from me and am keen to have a beer and chat with him....

Tops, check out the 70s grand finals on dvd - you'll see how he held the team together with his defence. A good 5/8 too.

Nthn NSW link said:
[quote author=Shoe1 link=topic=184521.msg282356#msg282356 date=1281169836]

Cheers mate.
He now lives 3 doors up from me and am keen to have a beer and chat with him....
[/quote]

lucky bastard :)

Ian Martin came through as a teenager at the same time as Terry Randall. Ian played 5/8 and later in his career was lock, he had the widest shoulders of and was a classic defender, not overly fast but excellent all-round game. No coincidence we won comps with him in the team.
Steve burst onto the scene out of nowhere in 1978 to suddenly be a premiership halfback and Kangaroo, very classy organiser and good kicking game, including field goals. He was known as the whiz-kid.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Ian Martin came through as a teenager at the same time as Terry Randall. Ian played 5/8 and later in his career was lock, he had the widest shoulders of and was a classic defender, not overly fast but excellent all-round game. No coincidence we won comps with him in the team.
Steve burst onto the scene out of nowhere in 1978 to suddenly be a premiership halfback and Kangaroo, very classy organiser and good kicking game, including field goals. He was known as the whiz-kid.
Thanks old timers Haha!
Will make sure I meet up with him..So Ian and Steve were'nt brothers

btw I am too young to remember 72 and 73, but 76 and 78 are vivid memories ;D old timer indeed..

Steve went on to partake in after hours shenanigans with Back Door Benny as well

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4