Paseka and Wright!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Why?

I get the feeling that the brains trust havent really decided where to play him. Fullback. Center. 5/8.

With some league under his belt and the right direction this kid could be anything.
I used to be a huge fan when we signed him, however, after watching plenty of his games I just don't quite see it anymore. His defence is reasonably poor and he is certainly a rocks and diamonds attacker. I'm not completely sold on him being a poor player though, as I understand there is still a ****load of potential in him, it's just whether he can dig deep and improve in areas he is lacking or continue to be up and down in his games

I watched all three matches. What a joy to return to the golden days of three matches on a sunny Brookie Sunday.
In the Under 20s: Tom Wright was excellent (apart from failing to find touch from a penalty kick). I've been disappointed with him, but today he showed he can be our five-eighth in first grade next season. He's solidly built, with a good step and a pass. And he obviously sledges well because he instigated a couple of pushathons with Canberra players with his verbal sprays.
'Tent' is unstoppable close to the line. I'd like to see him get a bench spot in first grade against the Knights, instead of Poo. He would need only play a couple of short stints and I'll guarantee he'll have more impact than Poo. It would get him used to first grade, and I think playing against Newcastle would be the easiest introduction he could get.
Brad Parker played well at centre, and will probably come in for the injured Jorge in first grade, on the wing. He has bulked up and will handle the role.
Others to impress me were Mariesa Fainu (no. 9) and Haumole Olkautic (no. 19).
The Manly Workers: Surprised by leading 'comfortably' well into the second half then their defence fell apart.
Cameron Cullen impressed. He is a clever footballer and good organiser. He's quite quick, scoring a trying with a dart, and kicks well in general play.
Pat Mataele (no. 3) was strong in both attack and defence. Fiesty, a little bit like Matai.
Penny Lane. I watched him closely. He was the biggest player on the field (although not as big as Tent) but did no damage in attack. He tackled well and played long periods but he was more Mr Plod than Kapow. Shame. I think he'd do a reasonable job if promoted to first grade, but he is a long way behind our current first grade props.

Top assessment The Who. Love to hear more of these types of overviews.

I don't know Tom Wright but what I hope he is doing is practising his goal kicking. We desperately need a reliable goal kicker but I fear that in coming seasons we'll be relying on Walker, who is a fill-in. Tom Wright obviously has special skills, and goal kicking is not that difficult if you practice and have steely nerves when it matters during a tight match. I think Wright could be our long-term five-eighth. I'm not sure about his defence, but Mitchell Moses can't tackle and is on $700,000 a season. Also, Blake Green is not the strongest defender either.

Good to hear the reports of certain players. Especially tom because he's quoted as being a 5/8th but in his two video highlights I think I saw him pass the ball 3 times!

I hope both players go very well. Tom gave up a fair bit of rugby 7's potential glory didn't he (Olympics 'n all that?)

the thing with Wright is he is still in his teens and had a lot of injuries in his first year of league so plenty of improvement left you would think.

Another double and another impressive performance from Tom Wright! Great stuff can't wait till he plays first Grade! Jade Anderson looks good too another great game same with Parker.
Scored 2 tries but did nothing else.nowhere near first grade standard. What about the try he gave them with that stupid pass on the second tackle. Definitely improving but still way off firsts.paseka 2 dropped balls but impressed with his strong attitude after his mistakes.parker was superb again. Bainbridge solid but nothing special played prop most of the game.good solid win against a very good Newcastle team.

Scored 2 tries but did nothing else.nowhere near first grade standard. What about the try he gave them with that stupid pass on the second tackle. Definitely improving but still way off firsts.paseka 2 dropped balls but impressed with his strong attitude after his mistakes.parker was superb again. Bainbridge solid but nothing special played prop most of the game.good solid win against a very good Newcastle team.
Did nothing else? I'd take two tries a game and nothing else but he also had a try assist, his kicking game continually found the grass inside the opposition ten and made them start their sets deep inside their own territory. His defence was solid, he organised his edge and from memory he threw one bad pass and one kick off the side of his boot. I think he still needs time before jumping to first grade but not miles away. I think we need to find a way to get Paseka more involved. He didn't seem to get his hands on the ball anywhere near enough despite being willing. Parker was outstanding. He was very strong with his carries and his defence was top notch. Like to see him replace Matt Wright soon. I thought Bainbridge was really good. His carries were strong, consistently dragging a number of defenders forward and defence was good. IMO he is more suited to that middle role, probably at 13. Again Olakau'atu was excellent, really impressed with his last couple of games, looks a prospect.

Last edited:
I get the impression Hgbcds has a dislike for young Tom Wright. He's only 19, same age as young supposed future star Ponga, who doesnt look any better at this stage than Wright, yet gets a huge contract with Newcastle. Wright has had much more to contend with than Ponga, including some serious injuries and coming from a Union background. And he is one of the principal reasons our U20s team is beginning to show form. 2 tries and an assist in such poor conditions where dropped ball was the standard in firsts, suggests he is coming along just fine.

I caught the final 35-minutes and only saw Wright's dreadful pass that resulted in a runaway try to Newcastle. He was quiet while I was watching. 'Tent' didn't get involved enough. It seemed like his teammates we trying to keep the ball from him. He made a couple of smashing tackles. This guy really hits hard. But he only got the ball twice and lost the ball on one of those occasions. Parker looked strong. However, we have to keep Mathew Wright in first grade for his goal kicking so there is no spot for him on the wing, baring an injury.
The Under 20s looked impressive. I thought the hooker was particularly busy. They dominated Newcastle who were higher on the ladder than our guys. Well done lads.

I don't know Tom Wright but what I hope he is doing is practising his goal kicking. We desperately need a reliable goal kicker but I fear that in coming seasons we'll be relying on Walker, who is a fill-in. Tom Wright obviously has special skills, and goal kicking is not that difficult if you practice and have steely nerves when it matters during a tight match. I think Wright could be our long-term five-eighth. I'm not sure about his defence, but Mitchell Moses can't tackle and is on $700,000 a season. Also, Blake Green is not the strongest defender either.
I think Hastings is well ahead of Tom Wright and will be our next half once Blake Green's contract is up. Hastings is also an 84% goal kicker.

• 🤝
Reactions: R3
I get the impression Hgbcds has a dislike for young Tom Wright. He's only 19, same age as young supposed future star Ponga, who doesnt look any better at this stage than Wright, yet gets a huge contract with Newcastle. Wright has had much more to contend with than Ponga, including some serious injuries and coming from a Union background. And he is one of the principal reasons our U20s team is beginning to show form. 2 tries and an assist in such poor conditions where dropped ball was the standard in firsts, suggests he is coming along just fine.
It's not that I don't like him just don't think he is anywhere near first grade at the moment.
Hopefully he turns into the best half we've ever seen
( very doubtful) does some great stuff! but comes up with frustrating plays to much at the moment ,with more time I hope this improves. Ponga is far better at this stage. Consistency is key in first grade hope tom finds it.

Thanks for your reasoned response @Hgbcds
Like bearfax I was tempted to ask if Tom had slashed your tyres or something because whenever anyone over hypes him you seem to bag him.
From the little I've seen of him I agree he needs to develop before getting near 1st grade. Hopefully he does.

It's just good to see someone questioned and a reasonable response without it getting narky. That used to be more common around here.

Currently Tom Wright is a rocks or diamonds player. He is trying something each time he gets the ball. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it does lead to some howlers. He may develop into a really clever five-eighth. Twenty is the ideal person to guide him through. What I hope is that the club doesn't discard him like it has done with some other good juniors. He is worth the investment because, potentially, he could be another Phil Blake.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8