Out attack is a Problem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I am worried about our lack of ideas in attack - though this can be fixed.

Jamie Lyon is not a five-eighth, Orford is not firing and our backs, a strength are not getting any space. There is too much reliance on Choc and Stewart hitting the fringes.

Our goal-line options look poor and there is too much panic rather than patience. I also think Monaghan overplays. This needs to be addressed.

Who else can we throw $500k at? to get us going.

Even though $240k was too much for a match winner 2 years ago :wall:

looked like Monaghan was playing half and hooker last night.. as i didnt think i saw Orford on the field at all? Dunley over Ballin... Lyon at 5/8 and Menzies at centre?

Disgusting Des.

Can we offload Orford to Warrington and keep Monas.

Monas doesn't have the spark that Orford sometimes shows - but at least when he is half he appears to run the attack. Orfords running of the attack appears to be please pass me the ball and I'll make something up.

It certainly wasn't pretty last night. Got to agree with CW, there was way to much reliance on Choc and Stewart on the fringes. And when the ball went wide it was way to slow and the wingers had nowhere to go other than pass infield for Bell or Hicks to be crushed. There was a lack of ball respect in our own half, dropped ball, (Kingy bow your head), and just passing it without the forward motion. The attacking options were reminiscent of last year, tragic. A sorry exhibition form us, and that's without the poor referring.

I am worried about our lack of ideas in attack - though this can be fixed.

How can it be fixed ?? If it was that easy I'm sure Des would have got onto it by now. We have 3 playmakers in Orford, Monas and Lyon, who at various times oscillate between sublime and spastic. If we could get some consistency out of one of them we might have something to build an attack around. I don't know whether it's a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, or whether one is designated driver and left the keys at home ...but our attack lacks direction, co-ordination or any semblance of a match plan. We seem to rely on spurts of individual brilliance.

We have a some fine attacking weapons in that side that don't seem to get utilised to the best of their ability. Bell has spent 80% of the season stepping back in off his right foot from a standing start. B Stewart finds himself as a second man play running to the right to try and get outside his man with sheer pace. That's it, it works sometimes. Lyon looks wasted at 5/8 IMO, and even at centre his contribution has been patchy. So we become reliant on wide running backrowers or lottery kicks.

If anyone saw the Warriors game last night, look what impact Mackinnon had sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads. He carved up, and you can't tell me he is any better than Stewey. Bowen does it regularly, as does Slater. In fact remember the combination Orford had with Slater, why can't he get the same thing going with Snake. Stewart should be trying to run off Beaver and his brother a bit more, get in the ruck area where the lumbering props are and make them pay.

I know it's a touchy subject but we haven't looked clinical at any stage this season. Who have we put to bed ?? I know we are coming second and I'm stoked about that, but I personally think it's setting us up for false hope come the business end of the season. Semi finals are a step up, as we discovered last year, and I haven't seen anything yet this season that makes me feel anymore confident about our chances come September (I'm talking attack here, our defence has been awesome this year and will cover some of our shortcomings).

I hope we click sometime in the next 3 months, it'll be an awesome sight when it happens.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6