Our succession plan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Every year since we made the grand final in 2007 we've lost talent but been able to regenerate.

It's not getting any easier, so help our recruitment team with this puzzle!

*contracts may not be up to date, all info from:
http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2015/#ixzz2xiFBHr2E
(*** BUT now edited following further info posted below by us!)

2014 … 16 players off contract
Jamie Buhrer, Clinton Gutherson, Daniel Harrison, Peta Hiku, Masada Iosefa, Jason King, Epalahame Lauaki, Kayne Lawton, Jack Littlejohn, Dunamis Lui, Mark O'Dare, Tony Santini, Jesse Sene-Lefao, Glenn Stewart, Tom Symonds, Anthony Watmough

2015 … 13 players off contract
Tyson Andrews, Matt Ballin, Delroy Berryman, Cheyse Blair, Michael Chee-Kam, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Justin Horo, Brenton Lawrence, Steve Matai, Manaia Rudolph, Ligi Sao, David Williams

2016 4 players off contract
Jayden Hodges, Jamie Lyon, Josh Starling, Brett Stewart, James Hasson

Jorge Taufua, Jake Trbojevic

So who would you not retain?
Good luck!!!

None of them! We have some great kids running around in Harold Matthews and SG Ball....

Seriously though it does highlight the considerations our retention team need to factor in.

I'm thinking that list can't be up to date?

Players like Taufua and Hasson for a start, I
recall extending contracts......

Agree tho it's a jig-saw puzzle to behold.

I think Kieran is 2016 not 2015 and Choc re-signed last year or the year before for 4 years.

The answer depends on whether you work under Manly or Canterbury's salary cap. If the latter, then all players would be retained with increased salaries.

Bit hard to check this stuff, I can't find anything about Choc having resigned yet.
I'll try to check on Foz's date.
Meanwhile it was reported around 20 Feb that Hasson extended, I've guessed till end 2016 (?), Jorge to end 2017, and Jake T also I think 3 years to end 2017?
Anyway I edited the first post to include those ones.

Cheers @SeaEagleRock8 for the update.

Glad we've got Killer locked in, as well as a good list of senior and junior stars for a couple of yrs at least.

Hiku and Gifty are priority issues right now, but I'm SHOCKED that Choc is slated as off-contract this year?

Can anyone confirm or clarify??

Example - Let's say King is going to retire – saves 2-300,000 (?) say, average 250,000

Glenn and Choc reputed to be on inflated back-end contracts this year, so if re-signed should be on less next year – saves 2-300,000 (?) say 250,000

Hiku will want a big upgrade – costing extra 150-200,00 (?) say 175,000

Some who we retain will be offered similar money, maybe moderate upgrade – Buhrer, Gutherson, Lui, JSL, Symonds – costing extra 3-400,000, say 350,000

Some will stay on similar coin or be replaced by others on similar low money – Harrison, Iosefa, Lauaki, Lawton, Littlejohn, O'Dare, Satini (?)

If that occurred, we'd be spending only about 25,000 more than next year.

And the cap goes up next year, doesn't it?

UNKNOWN – whose pay goes up a lot next year due to back-ending? Foz, DCE, Matai?
(And maybe King won't be retiring)

So from 2014 I think we need to keep the following if at all possible and the remainder if they can be had cheaply.

Jamie Buhrer, Clinton Gutherson, Peta Hiku Jesse Sene-Lefao, Glenn Stewart, Tom Symonds, Anthony Watmough

Whilst Kingy is going well this year (so far) if he is indeed off contract this year I doubt he'll get another contract in 2015 and beyond

Moving on to 2015 the following to be kept if at all possible and again the balance looked at if cheap.

Matt Ballin, Cheyse Blair, Michael Chee-Kam, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Justin Horo, Brenton Lawrence, Steve Matai

Note I have included Blair but excluded Williams in this list, Berryman I think is a 9, so certainly may be worth keeping to be a back up for the currently very dependable Matt Ballin

By 2016 I think Jamie will be ready for a couple of years in the UK and Brett will be ready for retirement due to his ongoing knee / hamstring issues (this may actually happen prior to that date but I can't see the club renewing in 2016). Starling may well be a keeper by then, lets see how the rest of 2014 goes.

By the way I am pleased Dave Warwick and Tooves is doing this, apart from a financial juggling act it would be tough to have to make decision like not renewing your current co Captain.

Isn't Delroy Berryman a winger??

Don't think he's a hooker and back-up for Matty
@Mark from Brisbane. Jayden Hodges was bought as an outright number 9.......but I’m
generally on the same page with your other
predictions.

We have 12 loyal superstar legends that we all love that have no more than 5 years left.

Should be a case of simple maths with how many we want to retire per year. But, and there is a big but ... all are good enough to play at least another 2-3 years.

By the end of 2019, all of them will have finished playing. Hope they all get to play here until retirement.

It will happen a lot sooner with many of 'em than 5-6 seasons @silvertail......2-3 years will see the end of approx. half a dozen of the core group, if not sooner due to injury or those salary cap issues.

RiverEagle said:
Isn't Delroy Berryman a winger??

Don't think he's a hooker and back-up for Matty
@Mark from Brisbane. Jayden Hodges was bought as an outright number 9.......but I’m
generally on the same page with your other
predictions.

That is correct. The cowboys had a real high opinion of Jayden Hodges and they have a spot for no 9, so you'd think he wouldn't have signed a deal with us unless he had been given some sort of indication of his long term first grade prospects.

Gift bowing out clarifies things a tad. King must be a question mark about continuing, but he may not decide until he sees how he's going this year.

Of the old guard we need to keep Choc for another couple of years, along with Brett, Killer, and Matai. This means we won't be losing too many in one hit, and can continue in our highly competitive vein as newer players make their mark (fingers crossed!)

Also, the change in the future picture may encourage 2V to be a little more adventurous with forwards selection and bench rotation.
Praps mid-season, round about SOO time, which doesn't finish till early July, Gift could play of the bench a little more and JSL, Jake T, TRed, etc can get some more 'starting' experience.

We have a good record of making sound decisions on retention. Kite has been solid when I've seen him for Penrith, and George has been George, but I couldn't say at this stage that letting those guys go was a blooper.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6