Our salary cap restraints.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We are in a section of the NRL landscape that does is not proliferated with big bucks as far as sponsorship and TPa's are concerned. Yeah, we are a proud and successful club... but we are not a corporate dream sponsor unless they are one of us and they do it for love. Sound familiar?
Wormald...Brooky
Pioneer...Brooky
URM...started here
Delmege..need I go on?

Everyone here is always offering up players we should buy...but with what money?
We are 1M + behind the the top tier TPA providing clubs and probably 2M+ behind the Rorters, Shonkos etc.

Our success has ALWAYS come from good coaching, local juniors, recruitment of unknowns , the odd splurge like Killer, and culture. Always. But mostly coaching and culture.
Recognise the terms, "under the radar" and "siege mentality"?
Anyone?
It is not going to change! Rugby league supporters, clubs, and it appears the administration, hate us and the MWRLFC will never play this game on a level footing with our opponents unless we have a benefactor able to level it up with cash.

We are now spending 1/3 of our NRL assigned cap on 3 players. That's ok you say, other clubs do it? No it is not ok, we need to have 27 others fitting into the other 2/3 with probably 1/4 of the TPA money most clubs have.

I am sure Des is doing everything he can with our roster but he can't perform miracles on financial restraints we are under.

He knows DCE needs a game-controlling halves partner but we don't have one and we don't have the wherewithall to buy one. That is why Cust has been renewed for 2 years this week. He sees that as his best option for the foreseeable future. I back his choice.
DCE will be gone after 2023 and DES is planning on sticking around till after that. DCE will be getting paid more than he is now if the cap rises in that time(as he is on a % of the cap) and Des will have a lot of money to spend on our halves...and that is where our problem is...that and paying Tom's brother 900k a year to keep the family happy.

The last thing we need financially is paying the youngest brother big overs too.

A very well thought out post.

We are in a section of the NRL landscape that does is not proliferated with big bucks as far as sponsorship and TPa's are concerned. Yeah, we are a proud and successful club... but we are not a corporate dream sponsor unless they are one of us and they do it for love. Sound familiar?
Wormald...Brooky
Pioneer...Brooky
URM...started here
Delmege..need I go on?

Everyone here is always offering up players we should buy...but with what money?
We are 1M + behind the the top tier TPA providing clubs and probably 2M+ behind the Rorters, Shonkos etc.

Our success has ALWAYS come from good coaching, local juniors, recruitment of unknowns , the odd splurge like Killer, and culture. Always. But mostly coaching and culture.
Anyone?
It is not going to change! Rugby league supporters, clubs, and it appears the administration, hate us and the MWRLFC will never play this game on a level footing with our opponents unless we have a benefactor able to level it up with cash.

We are now spending 1/3 of our NRL assigned cap on 3 players. That's ok you say, other clubs do it? No it is not ok, we need to have 27 others fitting into the other 2/3 with probably 1/4 of the TPA money most clubs have.

I am sure Des is doing everything he can with our roster but he can't perform miracles on financial restraints we are under.

He knows DCE needs a game-controlling halves partner but we don't have one and we don't have the wherewithall to buy one. That is why Cust has been renewed for 2 years this week. He sees that as his best option for the foreseeable future. I back his choice.
DCE will be gone after 2023 and DES is planning on sticking around till after that. DCE will be getting paid more than he is now if the cap rises in that time(as he is on a % of the cap) and Des will have a lot of money to spend on our halves...and that is where our problem is...that and paying Tom's brother 900k a year to keep the family happy.

The last thing we need financially is paying the youngest brother big overs too.

I wonder if the entire game needs a re think. How you ask. Well a lot of much smarter money men have tried and they just seem to **** it up time and time again.

I wonder if a cap based on a multiplied system would help.

So I think we all agree that the rich clubs seem to get the best talent most of the time. How they do it is dark magic.

To level the system a 3 point plan

1.. What if across the system the top paid player in the side could only be on 10 x the lowest? So minium wage is what 80k? So that puts DCE for example on 800k which would make the cap much more manageable. We for instance would have DCE, Tom and Jake all on the max and others cascading down from there. Oh and if they didn't like it tough. That's the rules and that's the way it goes. Would need an agreement with superleague in UK perhaps.

2.. run the above in line with a points system that is black and white. Players are given a points tally directly related to their stature in the game based on rep appearances or the like. That would stop some sides stacking with rep players. Hello rooters.

And finally

On top of that players that were bona-fide juniors of a club could perhaps have a 10% - 30% reduction in their contract and points worth depending on years at club leaving more cash for other players and a more balanced roster.

It would spread the talent and stop the powerhouse rooters, Melbourne, Broncs etc cherrypicking the best talent.

Rugby leage isn't football and their stupid money in that its a pretty closed market and Australia is the powerbase. In football player x might make 10 million at club y and if there was a cap in say the EPL which prevented player x making above that they would just go to Italy or Spain or the States and chase the money. We don't have that problem. The NRL should be able to get a handle on this.

and that is where our problem is...that and paying Tom's brother 900k a year to keep the family happy.

I'm reading a lot of over reaction on this board at the moment and that is fine.

Fans are a passionate bunch who invest a lot emotionally in their team and can often feel hurt or betrayed when they dont perform.

I also understand the allure to hope for some sort of silver bullet to fix things such as signing Benji/Brooks/Packer or promoting a rookie rather than the mundane working at it over time.

But I cannot and will not let Jake Trbojevic, a NSW constant, a Australian constant, a 3 time Manly Sea Eagles Roy Bull best and fairest winner (reigning two time). Who is widely considered one of the best forwards in the game to be referred to as "Tom's brother" who is paid well to keep the family happy.

Absolutely appalling comment IMO, completely disrespectful and unwarranted.

Now I could on but I'm not for ranting online to much, but what I do want to add is this.

The salary cap is complex, With TPAs, veteran allowances, marque payments, other clubs picking up tabs, front loading, back loading, rep bonuses etc etc etc it is not as simple as taking numbers printed in the tele and saying "these three players take up a third of cap" because we really dont dont know.

Anyway.....lets go boys and take it to Parra

Wormald...Brooky
Pioneer...Brooky
URM...started here
Delmege..need I go on?

Anyone?

Very , very well said!!

Mate the NRL has changed and the only way Manly can stay competitive is by finding more revenue/money. I'm not going to talk about the owners money grab that was selling the Leagues club, which was a massive set back but now they have to find a way to generate more cash.

Those days of siege mentality aren't going to work anymore.

You can't keep your youngsters or players you develop anymore unless you cash them up. Even look at the T Brothers, they are supposed to love Manly and bleed maroon and white, yet we still had to pay both of them overs now to sign long term deals with the club. Any decent player coming through teh juniors wants their pay day and will leave in a heart beat to get it.

As for recruiting and "under the radar", based on our current crop of speculative buys (Croker, Levi, Goesverybadski, Abbas, Metcalf), we have one of the worst recruiting departments in teh NRL. The only thing Scott Fulton has going for him is a truly great last name.

And you are dead set right Manly have dug another hole with the T Brothers.
Like they did with DCE they have put all their eggs in one (read two) basket.
Unfortunately these days you need to pay big dollars to keep certain players. Had the club not gone all out to resign the Trbo’s & lost them to another club, Silvertails would have gone into meltdown! It’s unavoidable unless you have the ‘means’ of topping up salaries like the Roosters, Eels, Knights! These clubs can buy whoever they set their sights on & know officialdom will turn a blind eye. Yes we have a number of players on big dollars, however without those players we’d be shot ducks. The team has shown they can win with players out! Not sure WTF has happened over the past few weeks but the team will come good. They’ve lost confidence & a win on Saturday night will get them back on the front foot. Whether the coaching staff persist with players out of form is to be seen. I personally feel we need to blood our youngsters but the coaching staff are there to make team selections based on training & attitude! In any case I will still watch & support the boys no matter what. I have a feeling the Worms are in for a shock this weekend......just sayin’!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4