Our road to the GF

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon_eagle

Reserve Grader
Okay, for those who are obviously not as slow as me, you already know know what I'm about to write.. but for those who are not....

If we beat the Bulldogs on Friday night we go straight to the Prelim final to take on either Souths or the Storm --- or less likely but possibly --- the Raiders or Sharks. If we end up playing Souths or the Storm, it would mean that they lost in week 1.

If we lose to the Bulldogs on Friday night we play a Semi Final game against either the Cowboys or the Broncos. Most likely at the SFS. Should be easy enough.

We then, of course, have to play our Prelim final and the oppenents will either be Souths or the Storm. This time though, it will depend on who won in week 1 -- thus meaning that this team will likely be a lot fresher for the week off.

Summary: Obviously, a win on Friday night and the week off is ideal, but if we do happen to lose, it certainly will not signal the end of the road for us. Regardless, we will end up playing either Souths or the Storm in the Prelim -- thus opening the door for a horrible prospect.......... something I don't event want to think about ;-) - I think you all know what I'm talking about.

Yes. Friday night is primarily about bragging rights, and gaining a week off.
The knock-out games for us start in week two or three.

All the top five teams have 'arrived' in good shape, physically. We've lost Wolfie and Farrer, which is a small injury toll. The other contenders have all their big guns in action. It's quite unusual.

Can someone here help me out? I don't understand the home or away scenarios. In a nutshell: Is there any possibility of us playing a final anywhere outside Sydney in Week 2 or 3 ?

i think the only chance outside of Sydney is if we happen to lose this week, Melbourne win, and we make it to week 3 - it will be a GF qualifier in Melbourne

2008 we didn't lose a finals game. In fact we smashed all 3 games, ending up with a for and against of 110-12

2011 we didn't lose a finals game. We cruised through all 3 games, ending up with a for and against of 92-32

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Let's stick to what we are good at, starting with opening a can of whoopass on the Dogs come Friday night.

EagleRock40 said:
i think the only chance outside of Sydney is if we happen to lose this week, Melbourne win, and we make it to week 3 - it will be a GF qualifier in Melbourne

Spot on. That is our only chance of playing outside Sydney.

Worries me a bit though, we have rarely lost our first semi final when it was NOT an elimination final, the only two that I can remember was in 1978, when we first lost to Cronulla and came back to win the GF, and the other was in 1991 when we lost to North Sydney and had to play Canberra, we were very wounded for that match and just lost, lets just hope it doesn't become a bashathon.

We also lost to Newcastle in 2006 and went out to 0 the next week v saints (BK's last game)

lsz said:
We also lost to Newcastle in 2006 and went out to 0 the next week v saints (BK's last game)

Yes, that night against Saints was awful. Spent Sunday going through a few games that I had on VHS.. from 2005. I forgot that we won 10 straight at Brooky that year and with about 10 round to go we were coming in 2nd spot. It must be said that 2006 really was an underachievement, particularly the final series. We have made up for it since, mind..

simon_eagle said:
lsz said:

Yes, that night against Saints was awful. Spent Sunday going through a few games that I had on VHS.. from 2005. I forgot that we won 10 straight at Brooky that year and with about 10 round to go we were coming in 2nd spot. It must be said that 2006 really was an underachievement, particularly the final series. We have made up for it since, mind..

That was our first real finals series under Des. Its what the Bulldogs are about to go through, although Des has more experience than he did back then.

I was at that Saints game, with a heap of saints fans

We struggled to back up from the knights game which was pretty brutal (from memory)

From memory, wasn't BK playing on one leg and we had others out through injury. I was there and the Goons players looked like they were on steroids.

DSM5 said:
From memory, wasn't BK playing on one leg and we had others out through injury. I was there and the Goons players looked like they were on steroids.

I think you're right. BK played most of his two seasons with us busted... but still tried harder than anybody else. One of the greats.

Just looked it up - had forgotten how close that year was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NRL_season

What I will never like is that a team finishing 5th, Cowboys, gets a home final and Manly finishing 4th plays away. I know it has been said before but the whole lot is rubbish.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6