Our nightmare with Toyota, a tale of warning

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Back in January we decided we needed to get rid of the old car we had and get something else. We decided on a new Rav 4, we were offered tint so we took up that option.

When we went to pick up the car every window had umpteen bubbles throughout, I questioned this and they said give it a week and they will be gone.

1 week later and the bubbles of course were worse, so I ring them up and they say it should take a month for them to go. I said I didn't believe them but will check it out with the 1000km checkup.that comes around and the bubbles are worse, we book it in and get there and they say they aren't touching the tint that day even though we had agreed.

I arrange again to get the tiny fixed as agreed.

They replace some of the windows but not all and they all had bubbles again plus corners that catch. Worst still they had scratched one of the windows, I rang them up and they said they would arrange to look at it the following week.
They ring me up and ask if I can bring the car in as they have a replacement window that they have ordered. I asked them how they knew which window needed replacing as I had not told them which window was scratched.

They admitted they knew which window was scratched but "forgot" to tell me.
I didn't believe them but what could I do.

Anyway, they replace the windo this is the boot quarter window (side).
I go to pick up the car and they had scraped the rubber surround on two windows, and the replaced window had "production" marks around the edges where it is normally black it looks like **** in fact looks worse than the small scratch.

Worse still they had put snalls cracks and marks in the panel moulding and not put it back together properly so it was catching when the boot was closing and was badly worn.

They agree to replace all of this and refund the tiny as well as replace the window with one that matches the other quarter window in other words restore it to how it was at time of purchase.

I had also noticed some bubbling or deteriation in the two passenger side door clear coat and what looked like a polish runs or something else I asked them to polish this out too.

After a fortnight of running around I take it back in to do all this, it comes back in and the window has not been touched as they say they can't restore it to how it was "tough luck"

Worse still there is nothing they can do with the panels and repolishing it did nothing.

By this stage we have stopped dealing with the dealer and are now dealing directly with head office.

Now today I open up the boot and go to grab a blanket for matilda from the storage compartment under the boot floor (where the spare is on other cars but spare is on the back of this)
The blanket was wet and I thought WTF is with that I look at everything else in there and it's all soaking wet, I push down in the carpet in this area and about an inch of water squishes up, it's completely and utterly soaked in there with a litre or more of water.
We store nothing but the pram and ports cot in the boot and shopping usually goes in the other car.

So we can't think of anyway the water would have got in there, the boot is always closed apart from normal use. We park the car sone days on the driveway and some days in the garage.

At this stage we just think the car is a complete lemon and they keep ruining it, the car has been back with them every two weeks since we bought it and we are now at the point where today we have asked them for a refund and we don't want the heap of junk anymore.

Honestly have lost complete faith in Toyota who I always saw as having good quality cars and customer service, after this experience I won't go near their lemons again!

Ahhh feels good to rant

There aren't a whole lot of Australian cars yet. They let land brothers went bust mate.

TBH the motor and drive is great, the car itself is just a lemon. You get that every now and then. But once this mess is over, whether through the ACCC, ACA or through them doing the right thing off the bat, well I'll be looking more likely at a second hand car or going to a dealer in the sunshine coast and nowhere near this mob up here!

Man I feel sorry for you. Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda, mazda or any other manufacturer will never get me. If I am gotten it will probably be by Holden and less likely ford.

We've never had naught but trouble with Holden and same with our friends up here, sadly care just are more expensive for worse quality. Half thinking about just getting a Kia rio, no risk because they cost nothing, more likely I'll end up with a forester though. Who knows? I just have to get rid of this junk of a car first

The Eagle said:
Kia......going from japanese to korean is going from being a manly fan to a parra fan....

You missed the actual meaning of my post.
The idea being after this nightmare I may as well buy a cheap car and have a better or equal result

Man, that sucks. I've never heard a good ending to a 'lemon' car story unless ACA or today tonight has gotten involved.

For some reason dealers absolutely refuse to take the, well...legal option when there's a big problem with vehicles.

I thought that it was because they actually had to buy the cars and so exchanging a car was too costly for them (apparently) so they'd rather screw you over.

Good luck, document it all, and go to the media.
"Car manufactures beg for taxpayer bailouts yet refuse to help when their products fail"

More at 11.

I'm also assuming you were tipsy or angry (or both) when making the original post.

Just angry and on an iPhone so couldn't be bothered editing as I went. We had another big downpour over night so however that water is getting in, I assume it will now be worse

Oh and given we have a reach of 20,000 people per month, there is nothing like bad press to get companies taking action

Daniel said:
Oh and given we have a reach of 20,000 people per month, there is nothing like bad press to get companies taking action

Agreed!

well we sent photos, and a series of photos taken with the SLR which shows the water coming up real time. Going to send in a video of how much water is in there too.

Told them we want out and want the refund. They have escalated to the national operations manager, and sent information to the dealer to contact us as well. The dealer then contacted us saying they are waiting on action from the head office, so we contact head office and told them. They are now re-informing the dealer that they need to take the next action.

Seriously, the dealer are just country fold with no idea.

About to call my friend who used to work for them he is good friends with the state manager and has been telling them our story, he wants to get involved so we should start to see some real genuine action

I have no doubt that Toyota Australia attempt to uphold the highest possible standard of service but it's always their dealerships that let them down in the end.
Choose your dealer before you choose your car ;)

If you can somehow get money back, take a look at the Honda CRV.

The Eagle said:
WAMF said:
Next time pay a fraction more and buy a Honda.

Mum has a honda,its had no problems and is rather quick not that id buy one,just throwing it out there

I have driven loads of jap cars and can safely say that IMO, Honda is numero uno.

Daniel said:
We've never had naught but trouble with Holden and same with our friends up here, sadly care just are more expensive for worse quality. Half thinking about just getting a Kia rio, no risk because they cost nothing, more likely I'll end up with a forester though. Who knows? I just have to get rid of this junk of a car first

I had a Rio a few years ago, put close to 200,000 kms on it in about 3 years and it never missed a beat....

WAMF said:
I have no doubt that Toyota Australia attempt to uphold the highest possible standard of service but it's always their dealerships that let them down in the end.
Choose your dealer before you choose your car ;)

If you can somehow get money back, take a look at the Honda CRV.

The Eagle said:
WAMF said:
Next time pay a fraction more and buy a Honda.

Mum has a honda,its had no problems and is rather quick not that id buy one,just throwing it out there

I have driven loads of jap cars and can safely say that IMO, Honda is numero uno.

I prefer nissan personally,Skyline is like driving an orgasm

Daniel said:
Back in January we decided we needed to get rid of the old car we had and get something else. We decided on a new Rav 4, we were offered tint so we took up that option.

When we went to pick up the car every window had umpteen bubbles throughout, I questioned this and they said give it a week and they will be gone.

1 week later and the bubbles of course were worse, so I ring them up and they say it should take a month for them to go. I said I didn't believe them but will check it out with the 1000km checkup.that comes around and the bubbles are worse, we book it in and get there and they say they aren't touching the tint that day even though we had agreed.

I arrange again to get the tiny fixed as agreed.

They replace some of the windows but not all and they all had bubbles again plus corners that catch. Worst still they had scratched one of the windows, I rang them up and they said they would arrange to look at it the following week.
They ring me up and ask if I can bring the car in as they have a replacement window that they have ordered. I asked them how they knew which window needed replacing as I had not told them which window was scratched.

They admitted they knew which window was scratched but "forgot" to tell me.
I didn't believe them but what could I do.

Anyway, they replace the windo this is the boot quarter window (side).
I go to pick up the car and they had scraped the rubber surround on two windows, and the replaced window had "production" marks around the edges where it is normally black it looks like s**t in fact looks worse than the small scratch.

Worse still they had put snalls cracks and marks in the panel moulding and not put it back together properly so it was catching when the boot was closing and was badly worn.

They agree to replace all of this and refund the tiny as well as replace the window with one that matches the other quarter window in other words restore it to how it was at time of purchase.

I had also noticed some bubbling or deteriation in the two passenger side door clear coat and what looked like a polish runs or something else I asked them to polish this out too.

After a fortnight of running around I take it back in to do all this, it comes back in and the window has not been touched as they say they can't restore it to how it was "tough luck"

Worse still there is nothing they can do with the panels and repolishing it did nothing.

By this stage we have stopped dealing with the dealer and are now dealing directly with head office.

Now today I open up the boot and go to grab a blanket for matilda from the storage compartment under the boot floor (where the spare is on other cars but spare is on the back of this)
The blanket was wet and I thought WTF is with that I look at everything else in there and it's all soaking wet, I push down in the carpet in this area and about an inch of water squishes up, it's completely and utterly soaked in there with a litre or more of water.
We store nothing but the pram and ports cot in the boot and shopping usually goes in the other car.

So we can't think of anyway the water would have got in there, the boot is always closed apart from normal use. We park the car sone days on the driveway and some days in the garage.

At this stage we just think the car is a complete lemon and they keep ruining it, the car has been back with them every two weeks since we bought it and we are now at the point where today we have asked them for a refund and we don't want the heap of junk anymore.

Honestly have lost complete faith in Toyota who I always saw as having good quality cars and customer service, after this experience I won't go near their lemons again!

Ahhh feels good to rant

That is interesting to hear Daniel. Not great for you but worth taking note for others.

A few people I know have Rav's and told me not to buy one (no specifics tho).

According to my neighbour who owns a panel / mechanic shop steer clear for Ford and Holden. He recommends Suburu, Honda & Hyundai.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6