Our Des

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
1983 was a great year and as you said we won the premiership by the length of the straight and on the day anything can happen on the day and it did .

On the day one of the best coaches in the modern era Bellamy lost a grand final by a record margin of 40 points to nil where his star studded team consisting of devastating strike players like Inglis , Cronk , Slater and a young up and coming and destructive Folau could not manage one single try .
That Squeels side in the 80’s is one of the very best club team’s I have ever watched play league. I despise Parramatta for many reasons, but mostly because they broke my heart twice as a youngster. Nevertheless, losing to a side which featured Brett Kenny (should be an immortal) Sterling, Cronin, Ella, Grothe, Liddiard, Taylor, Edge, Bugden, Muggleton, Jurd, O’Reilly, Price et al, is no disgrace.

They are the last team to three peat, and they were a bloody terrific football team unfortunately.

That Squeels side in the 80’s is one of the very best club team’s I have ever watched play league. I despise Parramatta for many reasons, but mostly because they broke my heart twice as a youngster. Nevertheless, losing to a side which featured Brett Kenny (should be an immortal) Sterling, Cronin, Ella, Grothe, Liddiard, Taylor, Edge, Bugden, Muggleton, Jurd, O’Reilly, Price et al, is no disgrace.

They are the last team to three peat, and they were a bloody terrific football team unfortunately.

The Parra team with Kenny and Sterling calling the shots were a great team and it was a credit to the Incomparable Immortal to get his team up consistently all year and win the premiership comprehensively by 44 points ahead of Parra and the dogs who were equal second on 36 points .

Manly were victorious over parra in the semi final by 19 points to 10
but on the day parra won the last game of the season by 18 points to 6

I always shake my head about the best coach debate.
Bennett, bellyache blah blah blah.
Gibson took easts from wooden spooners to semi finalists in the 60s.
Had one of the best teams I've seen in the 74 75 easts teams admittedly with a fair roster.
But with the Parramatta team in 81, he had a side full of old blokes, part timers and young blokes.
And 3 premierships later.
These other fellas have, mostly, had champion line ups.
We are coached by a bloke that built our premierships.
He's continuing to do so...

I always shake my head about the best coach debate.
Bennett, bellyache blah blah blah.
Gibson took easts from wooden spooners to semi finalists in the 60s.
Had one of the best teams I've seen in the 74 75 easts teams admittedly with a fair roster.
But with the Parramatta team in 81, he had a side full of old blokes, part timers and young blokes.
And 3 premierships later.
These other fellas have, mostly, had champion line ups.
We are coached by a bloke that built our premierships.
He's continuing to do so...
The likes of Kenny , Sterling , Ella , Cronin , Price , Grothe , Liddiard , Wynn , Edge , Phelan , Mares
That won the premiership for Jack were far from old part times blokes . They were all representative players

Of all of the improvements for the Manly playing group last season that made a crucial difference , improved defensive attitude and results was probably Des "s main contribution . Just a thorough professional with his whole approach and which is then reflected through his coaching staff and playing charges . Sad news about his brother , recall reading where they once used to train intensely together [ apparently his brother was a good natural athlete also and similarly always striving as well to get to maximum performance level ]. Certainly need the right cattle but premierships are essentially also built on solid and well drilled defensive structures and Des certainly knows a bit about this requirement . Des certainly has his own unique style and with his largely proven track record , especially with Manly [ and ideally to continue ] viva la difference .

Of all of the improvements for the Manly playing group last season that made a crucial difference , improved defensive attitude and results was probably Des "s main contribution . Just a thorough professional with his whole approach and which is then reflected through his coaching staff and playing charges . Sad news about his brother , recall reading where they once used to train intensely together [ apparently his brother was a good natural athlete also and similarly always striving as well to get to maximum performance level ]. Certainly need the right cattle but premierships are essentially also built on solid and well drilled defensive structures and Des certainly knows a bit about this requirement . Des certainly has his own unique style and with his largely proven track record , especially with Manly [ and ideally to continue ] viva la difference .

Very sad about Des's brother tragically lost at such a young age

Premierships are won on well drilled defensive structures and Des had the opportunity to learn from his premiership winning coach. In 1996 and in one of Bozos many successful teams the triumphant Sea eagles finished the season with an astonishing 191 point against them .
An astonishing defensive feat in any era

The Incomparable Immortal also built winning teams with big aggressive forwards and we can also see the influence he had on Des there

The Incomparable Immortal was also dedicated to his fitness as he was known to stay back and do extras whilst the rest finished their session and headed to the pub .

The moral of the story .......
Successful people have similar mindset , methods and habits and Des the great coach of today had the best mentor to learn from .

They also both liked the money and rightly put their families before anything else

Des went to the dogs for a lucrative deal

And Kerry Packer rewarded the incomparable Immortal with a massive contract with the Roosters and her Majesty the Queen honoured the Incomparable Immortal on the day he won the pre season cup for his team

The day the Queen of England met the King of Rugby League.
The Incomparable Immortal and the greatest player of all time Zachary Robert Fulton

images.jpg

Last edited:
Very sad about Des's brother tragically lost at such a young age

Premierships are won on well drilled defensive structures and Des had the opportunity to learn from his premiership winning coach. In 1996 and in one of Bozos many successful teams the triumphant Sea eagles finished the season with an astonishing 191 point against them .
An astonishing defensive feat in any era

The Incomparable Immortal also built winning teams with big aggressive forwards and we can also see the influence he had on Des there

The Incomparable Immortal was also dedicated to his fitness as he was known to stay back and do extras whilst the rest finished their session and headed to the pub .

The moral of the story .......
Successful people have similar mindset , methods and habits and Des the great coach of today had the best mentor to learn from .

They also both liked the money and rightly put their families before anything else

Des went to the dogs for a lucrative deal

And Kerry Packer rewarded the incomparable Immortal with a massive contract with the Roosters and her Majesty the Queen honoured the Incomparable Immortal on the day he won the pre season cup for his team

The day the Queen of England met the King of Rugby League.
The Incomparable Immortal and the greatest player of all time Zachary Robert Fulton

View attachment 13217

It looks like the guy in the pic put his hand on Mr Fulton who then looked at it and recommended the removal of said hand...immediately. Plus the Queen is checkin' out his butt!

Pity about the roosters jersey, but glad Manly got the best outta him! :)

It looks like the guy in the pic put his hand on Mr Fulton who then looked at it and recommended the removal of said hand...immediately. Plus the Queen is checkin' out his butt!Pity about the roosters jersey, but glad Manly got the best outta him! :)
Yes feathered friend the Incomparable Immortal was untouchable and years of sprint training does firm the gluteus muscles and after all her Majesty is only human

The likes of Kenny , Sterling , Ella , Cronin , Price , Grothe , Liddiard , Wynn , Edge , Phelan , Mares
That won the premiership for Jack were far from old part times blokes . They were all representative players
I think you'll find the like of Kenny, sterling, Ella, Grothe became rep players during the Gibson era.
Phelan, Liddiard and Mares were hardly household names and seemingly washed up has beens like O'Reilly and Stevens had their careers revitalised in 81, I believe under Jack Gibson...

I think you'll find the like of Kenny, sterling, Ella, Grothe became rep players during the Gibson era.
Phelan, Liddiard and Mares were hardly household names and seemingly washed up has beens like O'Reilly and Stevens had their careers revitalised in 81, I believe under Jack Gibson...

Seek and you shall find feathered friend......

I think you will also find a young Toovey , Menzies , Hasler , Kosef , Hopoate , Solaman Huamuno , Daniel Gartner became rep players during the Incomparable Immortals era and players such as Danny More , Niel Tierney , Cunningham and Anthony collella were hardly house hold names before our greatest Sea eagle of them all got the best out of them and taught them how to fly

Seek and you shall find feathered friend......

I think you will also find a young Toovey , Menzies , Hasler , Kosef , Hopoate , Solaman Huamuno , Daniel Gartner became rep players during the Incomparable Immortals era and players such as Danny More , Niel Tierney , Cunningham and Anthony collella were hardly house hold names before our greatest Sea eagle of them all got the best out of them and taught them how to fly
Dear Bozo,
I am making a comparison between the much exhulted Bennett and bellyache and Jack Gibson as journos love to say how they are the greatest coaches of all time.
Pointing out that they, especially Bennett, had far superior rosters to work with than Gibson had at Parramatta at the start of his dynasty.
I totally agree with you on the players you mention under Bozos tutelage.
In fact let's add a few.
In 87 our wingers, Davis and Ronson probably would have been left out of some of the more fancied sides of the era.
But not with Bozo.
And his genius in that GF was on show with the use of no names Pocock and Shaw.
Where Bozo really had it over Gibson was rep coaching.
No more evident than his selection of Sironen and Roach for the kangaroos when Gibson left them out of origin in a losing series.
My whole point is simply that Bennett and bellyache have largely coached with great rosters but are looked upon as the greatest of all time whereas I don't agree with that.
And I wouldn't swap Bozo or Dessie for either of them feathered friend...

Dear Bozo,
I am making a comparison between the much exhulted Bennett and bellyache and Jack Gibson as journos love to say how they are the greatest coaches of all time.
Pointing out that they, especially Bennett, had far superior rosters to work with than Gibson had at Parramatta at the start of his dynasty.
In fact let's add a few.
In 87 our wingers, Davis and Ronson probably would have been left out of some of the more fancied sides of the era.
But not with Bozo.
No more evident than his selection of Sironen and Roach for the kangaroos when Gibson left them out of origin in a losing series.
My whole point is simply that Bennett and bellyache have largely coached with great rosters but are looked upon as the greatest of all time whereas I don't agree with that.
Jack Gibson was a masterful coach.

Dear Bozo,
In fact let's add a few.
But not with Bozo.

Dearest feathered friend Harvies elbow ,

There is also another twist to the theory of coaching a star studded team

Sometimes it is harder for a coach to motivate and keep team harmony with established rep players who have done it all before and are prone to become complacent and develop a I am a star ego and a know it all attitude then unknown hungry players with fire in their belly and a lot to prove and a strong desire to impress .
And this is proof why many times the under dog rises against the odds and upsets the heavy weight favourites

IMO The best coaches are the ones that seem to be the best leaders and motivators of man

Unfortunately couldn't beat them in the big dance when we hammered them in minor semi .

If he wins another premiership does he shade Bozo as our best ever coach ??
Yes....Bozo is the best ever Manly player, but the way Des brings out the best in players is second to none.
Yes there were political scenes none of us will ever, or should know after 2011, but I have no doubt his heart has always bled Maroon and White...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4