Orford/monas story Tele

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
By James Hooper
July 6, 2005

MANLY has launched an audacious last ditch raid on halfback dynamo Matt Orford - attempting to lure the star playmaker away from a $2 million offer from South Sydney.

In a move that means recently re-signed captain Michael Monaghan may have to move to the hooking role, Manly highlighted Orford as there No.1 target in a bid to smash a 10-season premiership drought.

Newly appointed Sea Eagles chief executive Pat Wilson last night confirmed the northern peninsula outfit have approached former City halfback Orford - in a deal The Daily Telegraph understands is over three years.

The move contradicts a major offer from South Sydney - who are also looking to attract star Melbourne centre Steve Bell.

Current captain and Manly halfback Monaghan has expressed surprise at the development - a move that may mean a positional switch to hooker - just four weeks after an on-going saga over his new contract.

"People are talking about me asking for a release but that is certainly not the case, I've only just signed a new contract," Monaghan said.

"What it may mean is a change of position for me if they sign Matt (Orford) but I'm not sure if that is what Des (Hasler) is looking at me as.

"It's certainly not what I am thinking.

"Last time I spoke to the club they said they weren't chasing a halfback.

"It is a surprise for me because they weren't chasing a halfback but obviously they aren't happy with the hookers at the club at the moment.
"I can understand the sponsors and the club board wanting to win a premiership so maybe they want to re-asses what they want in a halfback and a hooker.

"That might give them a better chance to win a premiership so I can't be critical of the club and the sponsors."

Manly chief executive Pat Wilson last night confirmed the Sea Eagles had offered Orford a contract - with The Daily Telegraph understanding it is a three-year deal.

"We have made an offer to Matt (Orford) but we're waiting for his manger to come back to us," Wilson said. "We hope it will be sooner rather than later - we have been having discussions in relation to a number of players."

In other signing news yesterday, Wests Tigers secured rising Sharks forward Keith Galloway for a three-year deal worth $650,000.

The Sharks forward rejected an offer from South Sydney to link with the Tigers as a back-rower, with the joint venture also recently signing former New South Wales Origin forward Ryan O'Hara.

Canberra have also signed promising Brisbane Broncos forward Tom Learyod-Lahrs - on a massive deal worth $880,000 over four years.

The Daily Telegraph

"they arent happy with the hookers"

that is ABSOLUTE GOLD.you are not happy with the hookers so you pay 500k for a halfback and the superstar halfback goes to hooker.

that'll do me.

I'm sure Randall and Dunley are delighted to be spoken of in such a way by the club captain.

I'm beginning to think he HASN'T been given media training, or that the 'training' was done by Zorba.

I'm sure Randall and Dunley are delighted to be spoken of in such a way by the club captain.

I'm beginning to think he HASN'T been given media training, or that the 'training' was done by Zorba.
Agreed Mata, it just gets worse everytime he is quoted as saying anything.

This from NRL.com:
The recruitment of Orford would mean Monaghan would be shunted to hooker, a role he said he wasn't ready to take on.

"I do enjoy playing hooker but to be totally honest I don't think I want to move there yet," Monaghan told AAP.

"I consider myself a halfback and I was told they wanted me to sign as halfback.

"I'll have to weigh up what type of options I've got if they sign him (Orford)."

With Monaghan re-signing with the Sea Eagles last month for an additional three years, his only option appears to be asking for an early release from his contract nutted out just two days after he was told he had no future at Brookvale.

Cummings stressed at no stage during contracted negotiations with Monaghan was the 25-year-old guaranteed the halfback spot for Manly.

"When Michael was signed he was considered for various positions," Cummings said.

"I can guarantee you there was no commitment to Michael and his manager (Jim Banaghan about the halfback position) and incidentally Michael didn't ask for any commitments at all.

"Michael was just happy to sign with the club."

Banaghan confirmed on Tuesday that Manly officials never promised Monaghan a mortgage on the No.7 jersey.

"It's never been our intention to predict people's position but the club did say at the time they had no intention of signing Matt Orford," Banaghan said.

just searching in the various papers now for the truck load of " If Manly dont want Monaghs we will have him" stories from the que of CEOs chasing him down! lol

Souths might need him.

Imagine how much fun I'll have if he gets dropped to PL in favour of Williams. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4