Optimist/Pessimist pulse .. UPDATE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How do you currently feel about our future under Seibs?

• Optimistic

• Pessimistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just a reminder that monday the pulse will again be recorded .. see if all the training photos have swayed anybody .. either way.

You can change your vote at any time..

Pulse update ..

26/10/22 .. optimistic 92.6%
09/11/22 .. optimistic 91.7%
29/11/22 .. optimistic 84.9% .. 152 votes
12/12/22 .. optimistic 83.5% .. 158 votes

There has been a small but steady decrease in the optimism pulse ... but I think it has been a case of some of the Dessie fans that took some time out, returning and voting no, rather than anybody changing their minds.

Not expecting to see a big change until the first trial ...

Pulse update ..

26/10/22 .. optimistic 92.6%
09/11/22 .. optimistic 91.7%
29/11/22 .. optimistic 84.9% .. 152 votes
12/12/22 .. optimistic 83.5% .. 158 votes

There has been a small but steady decrease in the optimism pulse ... but I think it has been a case of some of the Dessie fans that took some time out, returning and voting no, rather than anybody changing their minds.

Not expecting to see a big change until the first trial ...
Could also be because people have seen that apart from a coaching change we haven't actually recruited anyone (of note) again. Suddenly the duds we had last year will be good? Can't see it. Other clubs have been much more active in the market and recruited and strengthened key positions well. Whilst we're just hoping on potential and that Turbo will play some games this year.

Other clubs have been much more active in the market and recruited and strengthened key positions well.
What gives me hope is that the new coaches will select teams on form with a view to promoting youth & building for the future. I'm hopeful that they can unlock the full potential of young players such as Schuster, Koula, Olakau'atu, Weekes, Paseka and so on. I'm also keen to see a genuine hooker such as Gordon Chang be given an early opportunity.

What gives me hope is that the new coaches will select teams on form with a view to promoting youth & building for the future.
Yeah, no more selecting old has-beens like Koula Saab Tuipulotu, Haumole, Burbo, Bully, what the dickens!
Yes the early surge in optimism is because Des couldn't coach and now we are rid of him! So the right players will get selected, and there'll be proper tactics and use of the bench, and, and, everthing good will happen.
Although by the time we hit Round One I expect the optimist ratio will have dropped back to about the same level it usually is whenever Turbo is fit, somewhere in the 70-80% range. @:D

Yes I thought about that but our finals were dismal.
Our finals were abysmal because the top coaches worked out that if they stopped the one man Manly show Tom they would stop manly and the did
Once they did this Des had no answers to counteract over come and prevail

Yeah, no more selecting old has-beens like Koula Saab Tuipulotu, Haumole, Burbo, Bully, what the dickens!
Yes the early surge in optimism is because Des couldn't coach and now we are rid of him! So the right players will get selected, and there'll be proper tactics and use of the bench, and, and, everthing good will happen.
Although by the time we hit Round One I expect the optimist ratio will have dropped back to about the same level it usually is whenever Turbo is fit, somewhere in the 70-80% range. @:D
Des selections were made through injury and not form . That is what @40 nil was trying to say

Our team under performed and the head coach is accountable and responsible for this as his stale methods produced a flat track bullies outcome

What gives me hope is that the new coaches will select teams on form with a view to promoting youth & building for the future. I'm hopeful that they can unlock the full potential of young players such as Schuster, Koula, Olakau'atu, Weekes, Paseka and so on. I'm also keen to see a genuine hooker such as Gordon Chang be given an early opportunity.
What gives me hope also is that Des did not get the best out of our team

|As we clearly under performed as a team

We had glimpses of individual great moments

But Des failed to inspire a winning momentum as the team lacked cohesion misfiring on all cylinders

The new coaches have the opportunity to take advantage of the quality of our playing roster and get them all firing and functioning together like a great Manly winning machine

Template for next season and ongoing with this current squad should be that first 70 minutes or so against the Cows last season . Really committed and well organized defence then it fell apart and just so inconsistent in general for a good part of the season even taking into account injuries . Really looking forward for Saab to return in due course and to show again the form in his last appearance and that the footy Gods will smile favorably on Turbo again injury wise . Plenty of developing players ideally being able to go up another notch or two as well . Still have that concern on the 6 and 13 role but with a decent run with injuries , quite hopeful the top 8 should be well within reach at a minimum .

Of these players, all but two were initially promoted to the NRL because of injuries to other players. As was often discussed on Silvertails, Des's tendency was to keep selecting the same players, even when the team was losing & players were out of form.

IMO, we have a squad that has yet to show its full potential. My hope is that this will change under the new coaches. Even though Seibold is head coach, I expect there will healthy discussion each week with Flanagan about team selections. I will continue to be optimistic well into the season.

I feel we were never going to markedly improve under the tired & stale coaching of Des. A good model of how a team can improve is the Cowboys who went from 15th in 2021 to 3rd in 2022. Apart from Townsend & Hiku, there were no major purchases for 2022 (Leilua was added to the squad later in the year). Training & coaching methods were the basis of their rise up the ladder. Team performances allowed several young players to become Origin stars - Nanai, Gilbert, Dearden, Cotter & Taulagi.

Last edited:
So ... the injury to Tom hasn't seen droves leap in to change their vote, and declare our doom ... yet ... or some maybe too traumatised to react ..

Has Tom's injury ... or the Seibold interview below ... made anybody change their mind .. and vote ??

Has Tom's injury ... or the Seibold interview below ... made anybody change their mind .. and vote ??

Obviously Big Tom is a Big loss to any team and any coach

Under Des our big wins seemed to revolve around Tom and when Tom was gone so too were our big wins

I am hoping the Seibold coaching staff can change this one man Manly team mentality

I give it a yes, because we'll make the finals and after last year that counts as success.
(But of course for Manly, real success is winning the comp. For that I'm pessimistic but could change at the drop of a hat if we start with a few wins.)
So ... 'for curent purposes' yes they'll succeed.

I give it a yes, because we'll make the finals and after last year that counts as success.
(But of course for Manly, real success is winning the comp. For that I'm pessimistic but could change at the drop of a hat if we start with a few wins.)
Winning is Happiness ! :)

See the source image

Two things need to happen to give the comp a real shake., Tommy recovers in time for Rd1 and then goes on to play every game. And Schuster to have a breakout year for the team. Not to much to ask is it..

The pulse rate will be recorded again on the 1st January ... so if you have changed your mind ... remember you can change your vote ...

Has anybody changed their mind ? What was the reason .. Tommy injured ... or perhaps the good PR and interviews by Seibs, or maybe the training photos from the club ...

Of these players, all but two were initially promoted to the NRL because of injuries to other players. As was often discussed on Silvertails, Des's tendency was to keep selecting the same players, even when the team was losing & players were out of form.

IMO, we have a squad that has yet to show its full potential. My hope is that this will change under the new coaches. Even though Seibold is head coach, I expect there will healthy discussion each week with Flanagan about team selections. I will continue to be optimistic well into the season.

I feel we were never going to markedly improve under the tired & stale coaching of Des. A good model of how a team can improve is the Cowboys who went from 15th in 2021 to 3rd in 2022. Apart from Townsend & Hiku, there were no major purchases for 2022 (Leilua was added to the squad later in the year). Training & coaching methods were the basis of their rise up the ladder. Team performances allowed several young players to become Origin stars - Nanai, Gilbert, Dearden, Cotter & Taulagi.
Ironic - ‘40 nil’ as your online moniker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8