Open Letter to Gallop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Mr Gallop

In this the centenary season we have seen the celebrations and the game on the field over shadowed time and time again by poor player behaviour, the debate about Television rights, the number of teams in Sydney and the power of greed meaning more than a signature on a contract.

While there have been many highlights as well this season one person stands head and shoulders above all this unnecessary baggage the Generation Y player has brought to our game and he’s been doing it for 16 seasons. Yes Mr Gallop I’m talking about Steve Menzies.

Steve Menzies represents everything that used to be so important to our game, loyalty, honour and humility. Sadly all good things must come to an end and 2008 will be the last year Manly fans like my self can enjoy the sheer purity of the way Steve plays this great game.

In round 25 when Manly take on the Gold Coast Titans at Brookvale it is to be the last regular season game “The Beaver” plays on the ground he has had an affinity with since he was child. The Manly club asked the NRL for a Sunday game, and Manly fans hoped that we could pay respect to this great man by celebrating his career on a Sunday afternoon at the ground that has been his home his entire first grade career.

When the draw was released it’s become quiet clear that the NRL doesn't share the same gratitude for loyalty the Manly club and supporter base do and more importantly they don’t share the same respect of a player who has been such a great ambassador to the game both on and off the field.

There’s so much debate about dwindling crowd numbers and people not getting to the games. Mr Gallop do you realise how many people have been robbed of a chance to farewell a once in a generation player by this game being on a Monday night. Like most NRL clubs Manlys’ fan base stretches well past the Northern Beaches and there were 100s of out of towners who had circled this weekend in their calendar to farewell our favourite son only to have it destroyed by the match being scheduled during the working week.

I personally live 900kms from Brookvale and have travelled to there on at least 40 occasions since Manly re-entered the premiership in 2002 at a great expense and but I’m not alone. But with this game being scheduled on a Monday it destroys any chance I have of saying farewell to a manly icon.

Please Mr Gallop it isn’t too late stand up and show the fans you’re in our corner and re-schedule this game to a Sunday afternoon.

Yours Sincerely
Cameron Smith

Great letter Cam but those nobs at the NRL have their Pay TV masters to worry about rather than the fans. Good try but it will come to no avail, sadly.

It is worth a try.  It is worth mentioning the Wayne Pearce farewell - it was an iconic moment on a sunny Sunday at Leichardt Oval - with Mitchell Pearce riding on his father's shoulders as Pearce did an amotional final lap.

I really hoped my boys would witness the same with Beaver but that is impossible on a Monday night.

Nice one Cliffy...sorry we won't be able to share the day with you, Spooky, Mark et al.

Good letter and hope it gets an airing to the NRL executive

Just a point to assist - spotted this in the letter "When the draw was released it’s become quiet clear that the NRL does share" - Should read "..that the NRL DOESN'T"?

Catch you soon
Vid

my letter to Gallop

Hey you News Ltd Nuffy
why don't you **** off back up Rupperts Ass and put someone in charge that truely loves our game not some News Ltd puppet that ums and Arrs at every decision that needs to be made

LOL I didn't really send it but it is what I think

Cam, is it ok if I place this on the front page?

ok mate.

You should have author status if you login on the front page and click on Submit article

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4