oldfield

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

chrisos

Reserve Grader
what is everyones thoughts on oldfield being on the wing in place of whare?did not put a foot wrong on friday and has speed to burn.I would not be unhappy if he was picked for the wing spot over Whare-thoughts?

He was solid, but made a few errors in attack and was very shaky in defence. Whare definitely has earned his spot ahead of Oldie IMO.

Has great pace and good under high ball. However, bombed a try when he only needed to draw and pass to DCE but instead went himself and then threw a speculator that went to ground. He was also caught out badly when they scored down his side. Whare is a better centre than winger however I would prefer him there in such a big game.

They've both got their pro's and con's.

Whare's the only weakness in the side this week, his defensive error against the Dogs was crucial. He's made a habit of it as well. Both games against the Dogs we've had all the running, then Whare has kooked it.

I'd probably be saying the same with Oldfield, he seems to make a different fundamental mistake every game he plays.

I'd much prefer "Tubular Bells" to Whare from a speed and temperament point of view. I can't get out of my mind that early effort against the Bulldogs a few weeks when Whare got the ball about 15 metres out with work to do but lost the ball as well as being tackled. Oldfield/Lyon is a more instictive combo than Whare/Lyon (despite the hiccup last weekend) Bellamy was chasing Oldfield before the Roosters got him, and he's a better judge than Gould . Whare is not a winger full stop. It's an advantage to have someone other than B. Stewart who has express pace( like Oldfield) who can score length of the field tries.

Thought Oldfield should have got spot on account of being a natural winger, and a great performance on Friday

Forget Oldfield, but he may come back into the reckoning next week depending on injury & suspension (hopefully suspension, due to Matai taking out Slater or Smith :)

Whare has been more consistent this year and has played more NRL games than Oldfield.

Hope Whare spends the week with the Wolfman learning how to score tries outside Lyon. Wolfy's pretty good at it. No combination there hurts our chances!

Oldfield is a true winger with great speed. I understand he has his flaws but you can't teach speed. However while I'm not a big Whare fan he has been more consistent and has played alot of 1st grade this year with the injuries we have had. Also he is a utility player so his versatility probably gets him the nod as well. Hey at least if Whare is injured badly this week and we win and make the GF we will have a decent replacement.

I would have said Whare without hesitation 4 weeks ago, but two thing stick in my mind

* Whare's defensive lapse against the Dogs that allowed Josh Morris to get outside him (criminal for a winger to give the oppositon centre the sideline)
* Oldfield's pace and seemingly better positional play in attack outside Killer against the Cowboys

Either way I'm sure they will both do the job if given the opportunity

They are both there just to cover for injures so they both do the same job.
But I would prefer Whare just on experience alone.

Which position do we need to fill, wing or centre? I'd replace a wing with a winger. Whare is a centre, not a winger. Different skill set.

This is what Toovey thinks if you have not watched. I tend to agree with him.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/manly-confident-toovey/video-e6frf3ou-1226477187524?subcat=1225914677120

Sounds like it could be Oldfield. Gibbsy gave a bit of a hint on his show I reckon.

ok, now having seen the Toovey video, maybe not,,,:s

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6