Old and slow

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ralphie said:
There's nothing wrong with our roster, what we have is a coaching problem.

We are doing the same s**t week in week out, same mistakes, same errors and same predictable attack.

Our record this year with the injuries we've had is no worse than Hasler's record during 2009 and 2010 when we also had a bad run with injuries.

This too old thing gets trotted out all the time, so let's actually look at it based on last nights side

Stewart 28
Taufua 21
Matai 28
Lyon 31
Williams 26
Symonds 24
DCE 24
Lawrence 28
Ballin 29
Kite 32
Watmough 29
Horo 26
Stewart 29

Hasson 21
Rose 30
Buhrer 23
Hiku 20

Under 25 = 6
25-29 = 8
30+ = 3

Missing Foran who is still only 22

I don't really see this ancient side spoken of on numerous occassions based on them being past their prime etc, especially when you consider many say 25-29 is meant to be the peak of your career
There is a pretty good mix of ages in this side, young talent is there for sure

MWSE said:
Brent Kite! Loyal servant to the club etc etc but he simply lacks any impact anymore. Fails to bend the line, doesn't hit it with speed, and goes missing in defence.

But he is capable of more, he had some of his best games earlier in the season when he was playing for a contract. So he has it in him he just doesn't seem to be applying it any more

bones said:
Ralphie said:

We are doing the same s**t week in week out, same mistakes, same errors and same predictable attack.

Our record this year with the injuries we've had is no worse than Hasler's record during 2009 and 2010 when we also had a bad run with injuries.

^^ This. Some people forget too quickly.

Our roster is depleted and then Foran withdraws injured. We were lucky they didn't put a score on us. Our team has character and that's what kept us in the game.

Kiwi Eagle said:
This too old thing gets trotted out all the time, so let's actually look at it based on last nights side

Stewart 28
Taufua 21
Matai 28
Lyon 31
Williams 26
Symonds 24
DCE 24
Lawrence 28
Ballin 29
Kite 32
Watmough 29
Horo 26
Stewart 29

Hasson 21
Rose 30
Buhrer 23
Hiku 20

Under 25 = 6
25-29 = 8
30+ = 3

I don't really see this ancient side spoken of on numerous occassions based on them being past their prime etc, especially when you consider many say 25-29 is meant to be the peak of your career

This is very interesting. Because all those 26 and below seem to be our best performers. Only Horo from the older guys seems to have any impact.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Stewart 28
Taufua 21
Matai 28
Lyon 31
Williams 26
Symonds 24
DCE 24
Lawrence 28
Ballin 29
Kite 32
Watmough 29
Horo 26
Stewart 29

Hasson 21
Rose 30
Buhrer 23
Hiku 20

Under 25 = 6
25-29 = 8
30+ = 3

This is very interesting. Because all those 26 and below seem to be our best performers. Only Horo from the older guys seems to have any impact.

If someone as bored at work maybe they could go through Souths and the Chooks to get a rough comparison age wise

Moops said:
mickqld said:
Yeah let's inject some youth and quality from our outstanding performing minor grades............f**k me dead get real !!!!!! This is what we have it isn't going to change.

I don't agree. We have always had a lot of ordinary sides in the lower grades but there was always one or two players out of those sides that would perform very well when given the chance. It was always a joke in our household with my brothers that Manly always seemed to underperform in the lower grades but produce a few gems for first grade whereas parramatta would always finish up the top, have a million juniors, yet not many would kick on in first grade. It is not always a guide!

Sorry have to disagree with your don't agree. The graduating class of successful youngsters have come from the U20 team that was top of the table & the premiership winning Sunshine Coast team in the QLD cup of 2009 2010. Several of who we lost to other clubs in order to keep now under performing & over payed ageing players.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Stewart 28
Taufua 21
Matai 28
Lyon 31
Williams 26
Symonds 24
DCE 24
Lawrence 28
Ballin 29
Kite 32
Watmough 29
Horo 26
Stewart 29

Hasson 21
Rose 30
Buhrer 23
Hiku 20

Under 25 = 6
25-29 = 8
30+ = 3

Seriously ?.........Lyon, Lawrence, Ballin and Rose were amongst our best.

DCE had one of his worst games of the season albeit behind some questionable go forward.

Watch the game again. You must have dosed off for large periods.

We are experienced. Kite is off next year and the only way that could be better for us is of he went to England. I have always rated the bloke and jeez that left he hit friend with was lightning last night. I wish we hadn't had JWH and Tasi poached and I don't know why Cunningham and stromquist haven't kicked on but lets pump Chee Kam and Sao in when fit so we have options next year. Would love to have gutherson on the wing sometime this year too.

Good stuff Kiwi but Hiku was always going to make it less. Add in real starters from the year King (32), Joe (35) and Richie (29) and that is a really old pack.

Average age for our pack is king 32, kite 32 choc 29 glenn 29 ballin 29 horo 26 so that's nearly 30 years old. Not a lot of youthfulness there.
[/u]
plus joe 35 george 30 lawrence 28 richie 29 and symonds 24 buhrer 23 and that pack plus bench is still an average of every FORWARD being 30!!!
compare that to Roosters and Souths pack and bench and I imagine it would be different?

Add Jamie 3 year contract will make him 34 and a busted Brett another 4 years will be 32 and stevie is 28 this is getting an old team in the backs as well. Tupou and Jennings looked amazing last night.

But the debate was Darren that the team on the park last night was old and slow, so I left those 3 out and looked at what we have. Souths have a few older blokes floating around like Crocker, Lowe and Asotasi

I just think it is too simplistic to say old is the reason for our of form, look at Origin this year. Apparently Qld was too old after game 1 but game 2 was a different story, those same players didn't get any younger !

I wonder how those young Monster packs of Souths Dogs and Chooks will go on an uncharacteristically hot Grand Final night? Will the Burgess' do well when the season heats up? Or will having smaller packs be beneficial when it counts.

Frank said:
bones said:
Ralphie said:

^^ This. Some people forget too quickly.

Our roster is depleted and then Foran withdraws injured. We were lucky they didn't put a score on us. Our team has character and that's what kept us in the game.

Ah yes, I must say this little stat reminds me of Cronulla of 2008. Never lost by much, never won by much. Come finals time they went out 28-nil to Melbourne. If that's what we have to look forward to, well I guess it will be no different to last seasons flogging in September.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8