Ok left field - but listen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Ok Croker is gutsy and has improved as a 9
But an explosive 9 like Gordon can take us next level
A modern day 13 "lock" should have good lateral movements and strong defence- I call on Croker - not a big man but mobile and can play footy ball in hand...
Just an idea and want my Silvertail mates to serve me up right or wrong ...

Been thinking the exact same thing after watching the classy hookers in Round 1 and Gordies trial performances.

Perhaps off the bench in the Walker role but then our issue is what to do with Weekes.

Sure his defense and playmaking would be fine but remember, you also want your locks making metres, could we count on Croker for go forward? Can he make the 80-100m+ a game we'd need from him?

Ok Croker is gutsy and has improved as a 9
But an explosive 9 like Gordon can take us next level
A modern day 13 "lock" should have good lateral movements and strong defence- I call on Croker - not a big man but mobile and can play footy ball in hand...
Just an idea and want my Silvertail mates to serve me up right or wrong ...
I agree with this. The best way is that Croker starts at Hooker then moves to lock after 20min when the sting has been taken out of the game. Gordon comes on with fresh legs and plays the remaining 60mins

Definitely should be under consideration long term, but for the foreseeable future, no way Gordie is doing 80min week in and out in his first year or two in grade. Croker and he should be sharing the hooking duties at least for this year and next. (The issue then becomes how to get Weekes in the game, although most likely any injury in the backline should eventually see him first man up - hopefully another club doesn't poach him)

In the meantime, Lawton most likely fits the bill for that Murray type 13 as he has the skillset but can also take hit ups. Having said that, we may not need a ball playing 13 if sufficient spark is created from the ruck, Chez, Scu, and Turbo makes a pretty dangerous spine all over the park and affords us the opportunity to run out an extra battering ram to ensure ruck dominance

Not too left at all. Croker and lawnton may become a good conundrum if all the stars align. Both too good to let go, but both dont really own a position. Good footy players with footy heads

I like lawman as 13 and frog on the bench

Unfortunately we will have to either wait on injuries or players being demoted to Nsw cup.
We cannot risk not using Weekes either as he is probably first in line to walk if not used in 1sts properly this year.
GKCT will go back to Reggies once Lawman is available ,I would guess.
Once Gord does get the call up ,I believe he needs to be brought through slow.
Lets wait and see .

Definitely should be under consideration long term, but for the foreseeable future, no way Gordie is doing 80min week in and out in his first year or two in grade. Croker and he should be sharing the hooking duties at least for this year and next. (The issue then becomes how to get Weekes in the game, although most likely any injury in the backline should eventually see him first man up - hopefully another club doesn't poach him)

In the meantime, Lawton most likely fits the bill for that Murray type 13 as he has the skillset but can also take hit ups. Having said that, we may not need a ball playing 13 if sufficient spark is created from the ruck, Chez, Scu, and Turbo makes a pretty dangerous spine all over the park and affords us the opportunity to run out an extra battering ram to ensure ruck dominance
All boils down to what you want on the bench I guess, having Gordie and Weeks with two forwards maybe not ideal. Although, Burbo did come on late, maybe we can play with only 2fwds.

Good Lord NO NO NO ... maxie ... I,ve waited 4 miserable years under Dessie to at least get a forward pack with grunt, attitude and go forward ....

And you want to change that by taking a 115 kg middle forward ... and replace him with a 90kg midget ...

Give yourself a triple uppercut ... and don't start threads when you're pissed ...

Always good to look at options but doubt that Croker or Lawton are being looked at as 13 prospects or alternatives . Sure that there is some serious consideration on whether or expecting Froggy to go the full 80 in most games but looks like no easy games for this season . Weekes , Lawton , maybe even Gordie later and with the side at full strength as options to occupy a bench spot and other factors no doubt to take into account . Roache looks like a reasonably handy 9 as well , couldn "t be placed ahead of these 3 but not helped by being in a totally outplayed Blacktown on the weekend .

Good Lord NO NO NO ... maxie ... I,ve waited 4 miserable years under Dessie to at least get a forward pack with grunt, attitude and go forward ....

And you want to change that by taking a 115 kg middle forward ... and replace him with a 90kg midget ...

Give yourself a triple uppercut ... and don't start threads when you're pissed ...
Yep, I think the coaches are going with 3 big middles so unlikely to put Froggy there. After seeing how Bulle has raised his game this pre season, I think hes looking like the 13 option. But there certainly will be a dilemma as the season progresses (pending any injuries of course) I think its inevitable we'll lose a couple. Just not sure who at this point. Froggy has 11 rounds (apparently) b4 there's a possible job share arrangement. So a lot of water to flow yet.

Yeh get ya point and I was a little "tizzy", but here's the thing in the modern game, that extra mobility in the middle is perhaps more important than size as a lock especially defensively needs to get about far more ala Cam Murray (Croker no Cam Murray, but neither giants).
Croker has at times defended that well with 1 on 1 tackles I initially thought it was Jake, so defensively has great technique....plus can play a bit of footy in attack maybe better as an upright reciever than a dummy half as played juniors at 5/8 and personally I feel his biggest weaknesses at 9 is lack of explosive speed out the blocks and maybe more importantly distribution off the ground which at times is not great (though will concede has dramatically improved).
I see arguements both sides, but still feel it is a viable option and may have legs...and ya got me Monday when Im sober :happy:

Yeh get ya point and I was a little "tizzy", but here's the thing in the modern game, that extra mobility in the middle is perhaps more important than size as a lock especially defensively needs to get about far more ala Cam Murray (Croker no Cam Murray, but neither giants).
Croker has at times defended that well with 1 on 1 tackles I initially thought it was Jake, so defensively has great technique....plus can play a bit of footy in attack maybe better as an upright reciever than a dummy half as played juniors at 5/8 and personally I feel his biggest weaknesses at 9 is lack of explosive speed out the blocks and maybe more importantly distribution off the ground which at times is not great (though will concede has dramatically improved).
I see arguements both sides, but still feel it is a viable option and may have legs...and ya got me Monday when Im sober :happy:

Whilst I will concede the smaller faster more mobile forwards like watmough and Murray's et al are great advantages ... the ones good enough are rare ..

There is nothing new in this modern game .. a geriatric Bennett demonstrated what a big aggressive pack bashing the shiite out of Easts smaller pack will do ..

Whilst I will concede the smaller faster more mobile forwards like watmough and Murray's et al are great advantages ... the ones good enough are rare ..

There is nothing new in this modern game .. a geriatric Bennett demonstrated what a big aggressive pack bashing the shiite out of Easts smaller pack will do ..
Agree 100% with first section on "not all smaller forwards will make it work" and tbh, not sure Croker can, but just an option i threw out there.
Just on this point though Woodsie I look at balance and Paseka , Oka, Tuilagi, Aloiai and Jake types already have enough size and ability to really match the opposition physically and for this reason, to add some sharpness here is a good thing....though you have a valid point "is Croker up to that required standard"....well I don't know just yet, but he can tackle and as a first reciever which is a locks role, his experience as a 5/8 in Australian schoolboy level should help make him reasonably productive in attack.

Definitely disagree about the modern game, as it's far quicker than ever due to the quick play balls, body shapes are generally far leaner across the park, consecutive sets and momentum and even front rowers are generally far more mobile and quick than the 80's and 90's model.

I reckon that Roosters game was more about, they turned up thinking would win by 30 - 40 pts and got their pants pulled down then a bashing, they got bashed because the opposition out competed them imo, personally I doubt Dolphins will beat up many sides who turn - up I but wish em well....loved seeing them take out the cocky Roosters !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4