O'Donnell - the perfect injury

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man

With speculation being that O'Donnell's season is over, I'm thinking this is a huge benefit to Manly securing his services and getting a player in good nick.

1. If it is true he wants to return to Sydney for family reasons he is going to be bored witless sitting around in Townsville with nothing to do.Homesickness will only increase.

2. Without "football to concentrate on" he'll have plenty of time to consider the various offers to come his way.

3. He won't be putting any more miles on the clock playing with the Cowboys this year.

4. He will probably be back to full fitness in time for the off-season and certainly won't have to play in the Tri-Nations (if it's on this year?) So he will have a full off season at the club to settle in and get acquainted.

I agree however hamstring injuiries tend to be reoccuring and this injury may pop up regulary in the future therefore it could come back to haunt us if he does happen to sign with us.

I remember the same thing being said about Kennedy though wheel.

Would you advise state cricket teams not to chase Andrew Symonds Cliffy?

It's a huge risk. When we went after BK, it was a case of needing him. LOD is a different matter -- he would only be bolstering the team instead of being the team in BKs case.

It's a huge risk. When we went after BK, it was a case of needing him. LOD is a different matter -- he would only be bolstering the team instead of being the team in BKs case.

Cant agree with the case you have pleaded there CiG.

The more crucial a player (needing) is to the teams prospects the bigger the risk when purchasing that player in the case he fails. If we were to assume that Kennedy was more crucial for us then than LOD would be for us now, that would make Kennedy the riskier purchase.

Especially since LOD has LESS history of injury than BK at the time of purchase.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this injury

its the luck of the draw how you go

LOD would still be my No1 priority, if we fail to sign him i'd chase Anthony Tupou

LOD would still be my No1 priority, if we fail to sign him i'd chase Anthony Tupou

My thoughts exactly. Tupou is currently one the best tackle breakers in the game. Takes a mountain of stopping. Our backs would love to trail him looking for offloads.

With speculation being that O'Donnell's season is over, I'm thinking this is a huge benefit to Manly securing his services and getting a player in good nick.

1. If it is true he wants to return to Sydney for family reasons he is going to be bored witless sitting around in Townsville with nothing to do.Homesickness will only increase.

2. Without \"football to concentrate on\" he'll have plenty of time to consider the various offers to come his way.

3. He won't be putting any more miles on the clock playing with the Cowboys this year.

4. He will probably be back to full fitness in time for the off-season and certainly won't have to play in the Tri-Nations (if it's on this year?) So he will have a full off season at the club to settle in and get acquainted.

I agree with a lot of this. In fact when I heard he was out for a month my first thoughts were 'Nice, that'll give him time to sign for Manly in the next fortnight', but I do have concerns over such a serious hamstring injury.

I can't think of another league player who has torn his hammy right off the bone. It sounds incredibly painful, and I hate it when players start off a season with hammy injuries - it's usually close to a write-off straight away. 2 weeks on the sideline becomes 5 etc.

When he comes back from this one will his hammy be good to go? Will it be the same as it was before the game against the Tigers? Or will he be more likely to pull up sore with a hammy twinge/tear? Does anyone on here know that sort of stuff? I'd be pretty interested to hear to be honest.

need a surgeon to answer that one. I could offer an opinion, but then again it'd only be an opinion.

[quote author=Matabele]

2. Without \"football to concentrate on\" he'll have plenty of time to consider the various offers to come his way.

I agree with a lot of this. In fact when I heard he was out for a month my first thoughts were 'Nice, that'll give him time to sign for Manly in the next fortnight', but I do have concerns over such a serious hamstring injury.

I can't think of another league player who has torn his hammy right off the bone. It sounds incredibly painful, and I hate it when players start off a season with hammy injuries - it's usually close to a write-off straight away. 2 weeks on the sideline becomes 5 etc.

When he comes back from this one will his hammy be good to go? Will it be the same as it was before the game against the Tigers? Or will he be more likely to pull up sore with a hammy twinge/tear? Does anyone on here know that sort of stuff? I'd be pretty interested to hear to be honest.
[/quote]

From my limited knowledge, as Fluffy has stated above, this type of injury has positives and negatives.

The negative is that the rehabilitation is a lot longer.
The positive is that in most cases it heals better than a strain or a tear to the muscle. Surgery to reattach the muscle that has come away from the bone is relatively simple (again only from what I sort of know or have heard) and provided the rehab is sufficient, there is no reason the muscle wouldnt return to full capacity.

Example, Andrew Symonds. Samller muscle, but just as releveant considering the use it gets. He is throwing at 100% now, just 2 months after it happened.

Roberts did his groin in the 1989 season and came back for the Semis. In the semi final against the Semi Final against the Raiders he tore the groin muscle completely off the bone (possibly both legs) and required extensive surgery.

We all know what he did with Manly in 1990-95 and he never had groin problems again.

The positive is that in most cases it heals better than a strain or a tear to the muscle.

This rings true. This was how it was conveyed to me via the doctor.

Muscle is made up of fibres running mostly in one direction. When you tear the muscle (as opposed to tear away from the bone) you tear apart the fibrous nature of the muscle. When it heals it can heals in a cross meshed fashion and subsequently is less strong. Its also then subject to bunching when the muscle is excerted and be subject to re-tearing as its elasticity has been adversely affected.

This a bit more positive - from SMH:

O'Donnell is expected to be out of action for six months but, because of the seriousness of the injury, there have been fears it may be career-threatening.

"Our physios have been in touch with the doctor [David Young]," coach Graham Murray said. "He's done 200 of these operations and he said they came back as good as they were before. We certainly expect Luke to play again, although it probably won't be this season."

The Cowboys are also taking heart from the experience of Australian football star Matthew Lloyd, who suffered a similar injury last year and has returned at near the top of his game this season.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4