NSW TEAM for Origin 2

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I tend to agree. I reckon Barrett will go well. He is suited to Origin. He has a brain and will find space with his kicks.

he wasnt any good when they put him in the mix last time.

Wallace and Barrett with fall over each other all night the same as Campese and Wallace did.

You need a halfback who can lead the team around and a 5/8 that can create without being the main leader

He last played in 2005 from memory, the last year we won the series.  He played outstanding that series, got a mom if memory serves me correctly. 

Trent lost his first state of origin game in 1997 when he was picked for game three (dead rubber) and was very fresh on the scene.

He played again in 2001 where QLD won the series 2-1. Funnily enough the only game Trent started in that series was halfback in game 2 which NSW won 26-8. He came off the bench in game 1 which NSW lost 34-16.

In 2002 he started at 5/8 in games 1 and 3, was out of game 2. The only game NSW lost in that series.

He didnt play in 2003 and got his next run at halfback in game 3 of 2004. The series was level at 1-1, NSW won the last game 36-14.

He played 5/8 in Game 1 2005 which NSW lost 24-20.

Trent Barrett
Played 7
Won 4
Lost 3

2 of the 3 he lost was when he started from the bench.

Not bad stats in my opinion

he is now 31 and in a **** side.........I dont see him as a miracle man and fully expect to get rolled int his game.

As I have stated in numerous posts, our biggest issue is our fullback

I do not see the big wankfest with Gidley, the media love him.  Stewart sh!ts all over him from a great height as a fullback.  At the moment he is probably our only realistic option, or maybe Patten.  If we were full strength I probably would not even have Gidley in the side, he is not a 5/8.

Dan your comment was "He wasnt any good when they put him in the mix last time". Which in my opinion is wrong.

I didnt say he was our miracle man, I just said he will go well.

Garts link said:
I do not see the big wankfest with Gidley, the media love him.  Stewart sh!ts all over him from a great height as a fullback.  At the moment he is probably our only realistic option, or maybe Patten.  If we were full strength I probably would not even have Gidley in the side, he is not a 5/8.

I wouldnt have gidley within a country mile. Wing is far better off the bench as a utility that Gidley is, Stewart is 100 times better fullback, and there are better 5/8th around, so where does Gidley fit into the picture?

No where. When Brett is back, Gidley will surely struggle for a spot. I can not understand what the media see in this guy. He was shockingly bad in in Origin 1 as well

He will still get a gig, he is the capatain now.  I know we were struggling for captain options but to pick someone who does not really have a mortage on 1 particular position is crazy.  

Either way I do not think it matters who was picked in game 2 it was always going to be a uphill battle against Qld.  Although if Stewart was there in game 1 we would have gone close to a upset imo.  He probably would have stopped Inglis scoring that try and he would not have made the under 12 errors Gidley made.  

Inglis for every reason under the rules should be playing for NSW. I don't understand how he is even playing for QLD.

Anyway that is another issue.

We were struggling for captain options, but I would have put it on Wallace's shoulders before Gidleys, at least Wallace would be able to lead from the halves, which is I think the ideal position for a captain. Sure he had a **** game, but so did Gidley and it seems Wallace is the option for at least another 2 years until someone else stands out.

Dan link said:
Choc was dropped for attitude reasons and not the way he played, from memory.

As far as I am aware it was a personality clash with Ricky Stuart who was NSW Coach at the time. Choc was dropped over that incident with BK where they had a bit of a wrestle and Ricky Stuart didn't like it and never wanted him picked again (hence he was never picked for Australia whilst he was coach either).

Ricky Stuart is a shockingly bad coach. Gould made him look good and for me to compliment Gould shows how bad Ricky Stuart is.

How he ever got the Australian or NSW job I do not know.

Granted he was an outstanding player, if dirty but good none the less. But as a coach he has NFI

Barrett's selection is fully deserved. I don't care where they are coming on the table, I have watched their last 3 games, and he has been outstanding leading a very young backline around the park, and they have won 3 straight. His kicking game has been second to none. Also as Garts pointed out, he has a pretty good rep record

Great selection for mine. The form NSW halfback is probably Kimmorley at the moment as well, never expected him to get picked though.

If I was picking the side Barrett and Mullen would have been the halves

Dan link said:
Inglis for every reason under the rules should be playing for NSW. I don't understand how he is even playing for QLD.
  He doesn;t want to play for NSW, that's why.  The funny thing about it is you blokes would pick him if you could, though his heart is not in it.  Which has always been the reason why Queensland punches above its weight in Origin.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=180724.msg227532#msg227532 date=1245115018]
  He doesn;t want to play for NSW, that's why.  The funny thing about it is you blokes would pick him if you could, though his heart is not in it.  Which has always been the reason why Queensland punches above its weight in Origin.
[/quote]

Agreed. But Also he doesn't qualify for QLD under the rules, so now basically with that, anyone can say "Actually I think i will play for NSW" or QLD for that matter whether the qualify or not.

I guess K-HUNT is another one of those

Dan link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=180724.msg227577#msg227577 date=1245133390]
[/quote]

Agreed. But Also he doesn't qualify for QLD under the rules, so now basically with that, anyone can say "Actually I think i will play for NSW" or QLD for that matter whether the qualify or not.

[/quote]  As well as Folou.  I have no problem with it as all 3 of them made it clear where there allegiances lay a long time before they were likely candidates for selection.  It is perhaps one of the few sporting endeavors left where the highest bidder is not the ultimate lure?

Dan link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=180724.msg227577#msg227577 date=1245133390]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah it makes a mockery of the 'Origin' brand, it should not happen. If he qualifies for NSW but doesn't want to play for them then he doesn't play at all.

It's probably just as well for origin they've chosen maroon.  Put them in the NSW side and they'd be gunning for their 7th straight series win.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4