NRL wants less interchanges

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Something i have hoped to see for a long time is a reduction inthe interchanges a team can make in a game, i suppose now souffs have barged their way to a title its ok to look at change.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...o-reduce-27big-collisio/6346064?section=sport

e NRL says it plans to review its interchange rules to reduce the number of potentially dangerous collisions on the field.

There are reports on Wednesday that the number of interchanges allowed is expected to be reduced from the current limit of 10.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said rugby league had changed significantly since the interchange was reduced from 12 replacements in 2008.

He said players had generally increased in size, there were bigger collisions and the game was more structured.

Greenberg said one of the advantages of a reduced interchange could be fewer heavy collisions involving fresh players and this could ultimately improve player safety.

"In particular, it may reduce the risk of injuries to the head, neck and spinal column from big collisions," he said in a statement.

"It could also ensure teams place greater emphasis on skills, rather than power and size."

The review will be conducted by an expert committee headed by Kevin Norton, a professor of exercise science at the University of South Australia.

He has conducted extensive research on injury development and fitness conditioning in other sports, including the AFL.

The state leagues, the Country Rugby League, the Rugby League Players' Association and the English Super League will all be involved in the review.

The review will be conducted over the next two months and any rule changes it recommends will be in place in time for the 2016 season.

AAP

Good move. Would suit our style of play, moving the ball quickly to outside backs, especially with the skill in the halves of Foran and Dce, and the skillful ball playing back rowers like Gift.... oh wait, I forgot, we've lost our 3 best play makers...Being serious though, Souths and Roosters are very fit and play hard for 80 mins. Plus have some of the fastest backs going around and great dummy half play to capitalize on tiring defense. Would suit them too.

I'd like to see it less for the injuries and more to allow fatigue to be a factor at the back end of games so they open up a little more.
Agreed. Imagine players like Segyaro against tired players! It would get me watching non Manly games. I cant watch the non Manly bash-a-thons.

What's taking the NRL so long? It's an obvious move.
Next: revert back to one ref; get rid of video ref; ensure forwards bind in scrums, take control of scheduling from TV, only permit transfers of players after the Grand Final, give clubs dispensation in the salary cap for long-term players, get fair dinkum on monitoring the salary cap and third party deals . . .

Why do we need a South Australian professor to tell us what every real league fan knows ffs.Another waste of money to go with ferrying Smith from junket to junket.The result of course will be a reduction by at the most two interchanges as the usual bull**** player welfare garbage will trump everything and the game will change not one iota.There are enough penalties from the men in pink to allow the skill free giants enough rest to prepare for the next barge even with eight interchanges.

I have been waiting for this. My boy is not a big guy so it gives the little guys a hope they might be able to play a game they love. The game should never have got to the stage where size is all that matters. I would like someone to tell me that it is not the case at the moment

I like the idea, but i would increase the size of the bench to 6.

It will give some younger players a chance to make First grade and allow you to carry a utility on teh bench in case something happended. i.e we would have hodges on the bench at the moment.

Read somewhere about the possibility of going back to the old sub rule, once you're off that's your day done

Would massively effect a team like the Dogs with Pritchard, Kasiano, Eastwood, Klemmer etc in their pack

6 on the bench means 6 fresh players instead of 4 and just negates any reduction of the interchanges. Fatigue is what creates a new game and allows footballers to dominate.

From SMH:

Among options are:

• reducing the number of interchanges from 10 to either eight, seven or six;
  • allowing each team to maintain four interchange players, or either;
  • three interchange players and one replacement;
  • two interchange players and two replacements, and;
  • four interchanges and one replacement.

I assume replacement means once their off they cannot go back on.

I like the idea of 2 interchanges and 2 reserves. Restrict player exchanges to 8 in total. So you can have 8 interchanges to rotate through with your two interchange players or you can use 2 subs and 6 interchanges. That'd be a good starting point I reckon.

At least the sub/reserve rule makes the coach think a bit more knowing the player can't come back on once he is off. The one down side I can see is that it will encourage more diving so teams can "earn" a free interchange for foul play. Get a tap on the chin and do a Soward or Reynolds and get yourself a free ten minute breather.

So if this is bouht in for 2016 then are we not in the box seat to buy the right type of players with our massive cap space? Surely the nrl wont do anything to benefit us.

I have been waiting for this. My boy is not a big guy so it gives the little guys a hope they might be able to play a game they love. The game should never have got to the stage where size is all that matters. I would like someone to tell me that it is not the case at the moment
Hey Beer Buzzard, I just saw your avatar quote...do you get around that by watching replays through the week? :happy:

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2