NRL vs Daily Telegraph. Cracking read in SMH.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
If you do one thing this weekend read this story from Brad Walter.

The Mannah scandal put News Ltd offside with the NRL clubs but the public falling-out was a long time coming.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/how-news-lost-the-game-20130510-2jdmq.html

MANLY and South Sydney players had just finished a game so brutal that four judiciary charges would stem from it - but the hostilities were put aside when senior members of both teams met afterwards.

As they gathered after the round-seven match at Brookvale Oval, the Sea Eagles and Rabbitohs players discussed a Daily Telegraph story that day reporting a possible link between Jon Mannah's death and peptide use at Cronulla in 2011.

''After the game, the whole talk in both camps was all about how we're not going to cop this any more,'' a source close to the players told Fairfax Media. ''The way this had been handled was completely unfair, and the leaders of the players from both clubs spoke about it after the game.''

Nothing about the blow-in from Melbourne, fellow Fairfax journo Dickie Hinds, and his piece on the same issue around that time.

Good Article. Great to see someone calling news out on all the bull**** and harm they have caused to the game since the super league war. They should have de-registered the bastards IMO.

Great article. What's funny for me is Paul Kent on Fox constantly complaining that the NRL/Players/coaches are reluctant to interact with the media.

I wonder why. Who would want to talk to some of these grubs?

News Ltd=evil empire.

It would be a better article if he'd mentioned how much News Ltd had to pay Brett Stewart for their defamation of him in 2009.

"Another official was more pointed. ''Things are so much more strategic than before,'' he said. ''Dave Smith doesn't think about what is in the papers, he thinks about what we are doing in digital media and how we are growing the business.

''He just focuses on the actual business itself, he doesn't care if he isn't heard or seen. It's another world, and there are some people who just haven't come to grips with that.

''The way the game does business now there are no leaks, and I think that is one of the frustrations of some people at News Ltd because all of a sudden they can't set the agenda.''

How much better is this than the Gallop era when he was constantly kowtowing to his media bosses?

Great stuff, interesting too to read that a book on melbourne's rorts is coming out in August.

Shoe1 said:
Great stuff, interesting too to read that a book on melbourne's rorts is coming out in August.
Should be a very interesting read - depending upon who is the author.

Melb Scum getting fined for Salary Cap breaches is like the Police Dept being fined.
The $$$ go from one hand to the other hand, back to the same pocket it originated.

lismore_fan said:
Shoe1 said:

Melb Scum getting fined for Salary Cap breaches is like the Police Dept being fined.
The $$$ go from one hand to the other hand, back to the same pocket it originated.

Apparently will go into detail about how a certain individual who is now working at another club and how much he knew.
Wouldn't surprise me if the NRL looks at it again and he throws a few others 'in front of the bus' to save his own hide.

To be fair there would be a hint of bias from fairfax against news (still valid points but worth considering )

News Limited are a law to themselves and an evil empire that is happy to destroy people in the hunt for a headline. What they did to the Mannah family and a few years back the Stewart family should not be forgotten.

eagles2win said:
lismore_fan said:
Shoe1 said:

Apparently will go into detail about how a certain individual who is now working at another club and how much he knew.
Wouldn't surprise me if the NRL looks at it again and he throws a few others 'in front of the bus' to save his own hide.

The timing will be perfect too, just before finals. Hopefully the players involved are found out once and for all, how is he still Australian captain? Oh yeah news ran the game.

Does anyone still think that the ultimate news crony, David gallop, did a good job running the game ? This muppet obviously had orders to strangle the development of the game and stifle it's growth in order to keep his employer's leash tightly around the neck. You'd also have to think he had unwritten orders to favour his puppet masters' pet teams. Grubby, grubby man.

Good to see news ltd getting some backlashes, but I'm not sure that the NRL bringing in it's own media unit is the answer. Can't see much independence of reporting in that scenario. We'll just get fluff pieces and nrl approved spin.

lsz said:
To be fair there would be a hint of bias from fairfax against news (still valid points but worth considering )

That's a fair but obvious point mate.
One thing I notice between Smh and tele is that smh seem to play the ball not the man. Where as the tele tend to resort to name calling and immature comments.

Perfect example is buzz and bulldog referring to perry as p plate CEO and John Grant as the mazarti driving chairman. Just childish stuff

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8