NRL SUSPENDED - Where to now?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Think it's worth moving on from Covid 19 thread for discussion on where to now.

I posted in the cronovirus chat that the players need to all make a decision if they want a game to return to.

I have no doubt that rugby league will survive but some teams may fall by the wayside and out beloved seaeagles could be one of them.

I say minimum wage for any player on over 150k to 150k effective immediately. Broken down that's about 12k a month which isn't bad for the normal man or woman in the street.

It doesnt matter if your Tommy T or joe blogs if your not playing your not worth any different.

I'm self employed and over the last 3 weeks 90% of my work has disappeared. We all need to front up so come on guys. Protect your clubs, protect the game and get thru the tunnel to the other end.

I have lots of conflicting emotions when it comes to "what now". Sorry if I jump around a bit trying to put them to pen. Bear with me.

Who is responsible if the game can't survive this? Who suffers? What needs to happen?

The entire game for a long time, from the grassroots level all the way up to the fan funded TV rights, has been a disgraceful cacophony of amateurish mismanagement and greed with almost no regard for what the game is really about...the fans and players. Really... would you have a job if you performed at the level the NRL management team do?

The administration of our national game is responsible!

The word "culture" is used so many times in reference to clubs and players, but RL culture is in the hearts and souls of fans as much, if not more than them.
Televised sports are only viable because of fans. Period!
I was a Manly junior when there was no money but I have no doubt today's local juniors would play for f**k all on the side coz they love the game and everything our club stands for.

Who suffers? Mostly the fans and players that really love the game. The high end decision-makers have plenty of money to get them through this and will pick up another gig if RL fails and it doesn't mean sh1t to them because they don't have the game running through their blood. Grassroots RL has been almost ignored chasing the big bucks. It's disgraceful and will inevitably spell the end if not addressed.

Corporate wankers cannot run this game!
The only hierarchy that ran the game how it NEEDS to be run were ex-players.
Times change and the "NRL" has done a sh1t job of maintaining and growing the game. RL is culturally a suburban ground game and these wankers have have done their best to ignore RL culture in their quest for hedonistic pursuits and a morally disgusting gravy train.

There are surely enough qualified ex-players who have their heart in the right place to fill the roles and put the game in the place it should be.

There is a balance that needs to be found.

Get rid of these bureaucratic wankers and replace them with people with their heart in the right place!

All players are contracted to "the NRL" and play for one of their franchisees. It is the responsibility of the NRL to MANAGE them and assure the viability of their contracted franchisees..
Let the NRL fall and let someone with a real love of the game take it from here.
Do not fear...this is a great opportunity for change and there are plenty of people that would not let the game or the MWSE die.

This is a great opportunity to get real RL culture at management level.

Last edited:
I was wondering (amongst other things) what happens to all those rubbish ex-player commentators which I am convinced only took unders at their club because they were promised a TV gig after their playing days.

If the club paid them sfa and now fox turfs them, they may be inclined to let the cat out of the bag. Don't get me wrong, it'd be hilarious, but then again, Fox has enough money to keep a few players happy.

Whether Fox or some other media corporation wants to keep the nrl wheels greased in this time of non playing - so there's a game to come back to - remains to be seen.

I was wondering (amongst other things) what happens to all those rubbish ex-player commentators which I am convinced only took unders at their club because they were promised a TV gig after their playing days.

If the club paid them sfa and now fox turfs them, they may be inclined to let the cat out of the bag. Don't get me wrong, it'd be hilarious, but then again, Fox has enough money to keep a few players happy.

Whether Fox or some other media corporation wants to keep the nrl wheels greased in this time of non playing - so there's a game to come back to - remains to be seen.

I would expect fox to hold things together as long as they think they can make a buck if it comes back. There investment in the broncos would come under fire also with too much leakage.

If that doesnt eventuate i expect they will eat there young. Then they will try to salvage $$$$ through there newspapers and will let all the **** out, because they were just at arms length and its a story we need to hear..............NOW, but not before

Trying to sit thru the FOX LIve feed with Johns, Ennis & Sampson........finding it difficult to listen to that moron Sampson. I'm not the greatest admirer of Johns or Ennis but I cannot stand the sight of that woman! The sound of her voice makes me cringe & her opinions are laughable! She talks like she's the only one that knows anything rugby league. The way she's carrying on about the Roosters & Storm is turning my stomach. I apologise to all on here but I need to vent! I so wish she would disappear!

The worst thing as a fan is that while we knew this would come (those who didn't really did have blind faith), its still a bit deflating.

With pretty much every sport being suspended, seeing Manly play each weekend was the one thing I was looking forward to after a week of getting nothing but talk about Covid-19 (if you want to escape a lot of that talk I suggest you stay off social media. Flooded is not even close to describing it). And now the thought of seeing Manly playing is gone, though I hope only for the time being.

Last edited:
Go to a museum...!

mona-5e7786911f51d__880.jpg

Now comes the infighting. So much for the much vaunted solidarity some talking head was spruiking on TV last night. We look after our own, no club will go under blah, blah, blah....

" NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford proposed a funding model last Thursday that would see more money delivered to clubs in greater financial stress, at the expense of other NRL clubs.
Crawford’s proposal quickly drew a protest from South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly, who as a result later withdrew from the committee formed to counter the coronavirus crisis.
“Why should we take less in funding because we have been able to manage our affairs?” one club boss said.

“It’s not our fault those clubs are in that position. It’s their fault and it is the NRL’s fault.”
Threats of legal action were made if the NRL persists with the planned unequal funding model.

Wasn 't that long ago that the N R L were propping up clubs like the Dragons , Newcastle , Titans and Wests Tigers , apparently with the approval of all the other clubs , Souths included so can not see what the difference is now in principal and in the practical sense in regard to the current serious state of the game . Probably only going to be some marginal additional support in any case for the clubs who may be in a less secure position if the original support proposals come into play .

Yeah, I saw that fat wanker Shane Richardson on Fox parroting on about how the NRL had so many people sucking money from it, conveniently forgetting that his mouth was one of the thirstiest on the NRL teat…

It's amazing how someone gifted a 700k one year job to formulate a blueprint for the game which was never used, has the hide to come out and complain about too many people feeding from the nrl gravy train.

He should go into politics with that sort of moral compass and lack of shame 'o metre

Pride of the League....more like the I'm alright Jack Rabbits or the Shame of South Sydney.
Yeah , really annoying with the insincerity and hypocritical attitude of some of the so called more financially better off clubs right now . These support funds are only of an emergency nature and not related to the normal allocation of grants and only to stop any more erosion of community and public support for the code . Souths more then any other club should be conscious of that reality . Wonder how Rupert is viewing the present problem , he still has a vested interest in having Rugby League as one of his main sporting content or broadcasting product . Less teams would not really improve his bottom line with the loss of interest from their supporter base if any teams are forced to drop out without some short term assistance .

“It’s not our fault those clubs are in that position. It’s their fault and it is the NRL’s fault.”
Threats of legal action were made if the NRL persists with the planned unequal funding model.

I'm also assuming :

Broncs: Yeah it's not our fault we get a game every friday, a one team sponsorship bonanza, have one of the broadcasters with their hands in the ownership pie, a group of businessmen paying players under the table, and some ex players gifted post retirement media jobs. - As far as we're concerned...it's a level playing field re bail-out money!

The random thoughts of an old revoluntionary spirit .... if the game is suspended for 3 months ...

The NRL is broke and trading insolvent ... the NRL placed in recievership ....

All players contracts with the clubs and NRL are null and void and all players become free agents .. (edit) .. of course the players could sue the clubs for payment ... but with no chance of even getting 2c in the dollar ... and sending the clubs bankrupt .. it is not in theoir interests to do so ... the only way they will get a good contract for next season is if there are clubs to provide them ...

All 16 clubs licenses become null and void and all clubs free agents ...

The clubs and players and the broadcasters get together to redesign the future of Rugby League ...

V'Landy's invited to head up the new administration of League ....

effigy's of Greenturd burnt in celebration in the streets ....

Happy days and let the games begin ...

Last edited:
It's amazing how someone gifted a 700k one year job to formulate a blueprint for the game which was never used, has the hide to come out and complain about too many people feeding from the nrl gravy train.

He should go into politics with that sort of moral compass and lack of shame 'o metre

In his defense .... he is not the one that didn't take up his recommendations ....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4