NRL Supercoach 2013 News stories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL SuperCoach Insider: Cronulla Sharks

GIVEN Cronulla's unprecedented recruitment successes, there will be plenty of SuperCoach action at the Sharks this year - both good and bad (mostly bad).

But let’s start with the good. Prized recruit Michael Gordon is possibly buy of the season.

He is the best fullback in SuperCoach (because of his high-workrate and goalkicking), but costs $100,000 less than more illustrious rivals following two injury-ruined seasons (and plenty of time on the wing at former club Penrith).

Now for the bad. Cronulla’s all star forward pack will be its biggest strength in actual NRL, but its great weakness in SuperCoach.

The fact coach Shane Flanagan can afford to rest star forward Paul Gallen will shave 10-15 points per week off the best player in SuperCoach.

And the new hit-up scoring will cost him another 10 points (the new system awards two points for hit-ups +8m and one point for hit-ups -8m. The old system awarded every hit-up two points). So with a 20-25 drop in average, Gallen’s price could drop $100,000 over the opening weeks, at which point he’ll be a great buy.

Cronulla’s only other SuperCoach-relevant forwards – Luke Lewis, Chris Heighington and Andrew Fifita – will also suffer from increased forward rotation.

Todd Carney is a no-go this year because he’s returning from a serious injury. And regardless of his dodgy Achilles, law of averages says he will struggle to keep up his great stats from last year.

On the rookie front, Toyota Cup hooker Michael Lichaa is highly-rated in the Shire and could get a first grade crack this year, especially if there are injuries.

The stud: Michael Gordon
The dud: Paul Gallen

NRL SuperCoach Insider: The Dragons

TWO positions offer major SuperCoach opportunities at the Dragons - fullback and halfback.

Having given Kyle Stanley, Brett Morris and Jason Nightingale cracks at fullback last year, coach Steve Price has offered the No. 1 jersey to prized recruit Gerard Beale this season.

He starts cheap following a year on the wing for the Broncos, where he was shielded from the action.

But the positional change will bring the New Zealand international closer to the game, which should dramatically increase his scores.

In brief stints at fullback for the Broncos, Beale showed he can go large.

CLICK HERE TO START PICKING YOUR SUPERCOACH SQUAD NOW

Veteran Nathan Fien is expected to fill Ben Hornby's (retired) halfback spot.

And while Fien is not a SuperCoach factor himself, rookie Josh Drinkwater, a bargain at just $87,500, is next in line given Kyle Stanley (knee) is out for the season.

With Fien in the halves and Dean Young retired, 80 minutes could open for young hooker Mitch Rein, although the injury-prone but immensely talented Cameron King may score a bench spot.

Youngster Evander Cummins also looms as an exciting prospect. The star Holden Cup fullback played just 16 matches last season, but made 36 linebreaks and busted 192 tackles, the most of any NYC player in both categories.

That said, it's hard to see where he'll fit in given the Dragons' international back three of Brett Morris, Jason Nightingale and Beale.

The absence of Young and Beau Scott (Knights) will create some minutes in the forwards, but no potential game time winners (eg Ben Creagh, Matt Prior, Tyson Frizell, Bronson Harrison, Jack De Belin, Jake Marketo or Leeson Ah Mau) are cheap enough to command big price rises.

The stud: Gerard Beale
The dud: Nathan Fien

NRL SuperCoach Insider: Penrith Panthers
ONE thing is certain: Phil Gould's cleanout at the Penrith Panthers will create some serious SuperCoach opportunities in 2013.

Perhaps the most exciting is former Warrior Lewis Brown. He averaged just 36 last year under Brian McClennan (and therefore starts cheap), but averaged over 50 in three years under Ivan Cleary, who he reunites with at Penrith this year.

Brown has been training in the back row and will be a must-buy if he scores Luke Lewis's spot.

"Ivan Cleary brings out the best in me," Brown said. "As a coach, he has great structures, great game plans. He really is the type of coach I want to play for. I’ve talked to Ivan about wanting to cement a place in the back-row."

The exit of Michael Jennings also creates an opportunity in the backline. SuperCoaches will be hoping bargain youngsters Moses Pangai or James Roberts step into the void.

Likewise, Michael Gordon’s departure at fullback and Lachlan Coote’s permanent move to five-eighth creates a conundrum at No. 1.

Josh Mansour is an obvious choice given his stellar debut season, but SuperCoaches will be hoping recruit Dean Whare is handed the gig.

He averaged a massive 71 when moved to fullback to replace Brett Stewart during the Origin rounds last year, but starts relatively cheap due to stints away from the action at centre and wing.

Penrith also have a bunch of cheapies available in the forwards.

Recruits Kyle O’Donnell (Knights), Neccrom Areaiiti (Rabbitohs) and Shane Shackleton (Eels) are all chances of a first grade spot behind star props Tim Grant and Sam McKendry.

But don’t get sucked in by Mose Masoe. The former Rooster may look tempting at $107,400, but he’s one of the worst points per minute players in the NRL.

The stud: Lewis Brown
The dud: Mose Masoe

SuperCoach value at the Eels
PARRAMATTA halfback Chris Sandow, for so long a maligned SuperCoach player, is set to emerge as a force this year.

The Emerging Maroons squad member starts the year at a very affordable $207,500 following a poor season under Stephen Kearney in 2012.

But the coaching of Ricky Stuart will no doubt benefit Sandow, while he should score an extra 12 or so SuperCoach points per game after inheriting the goalkicking duties from the retired Luke Burt.

With the new attack-oriented points system taken into account, Sandow averaged a very healthy 63 at the Rabbitohs in 2011 - the last time he handled the goalkicking duties.

The other SuperCoach question at the Eels is who fills the game time left by the retirement of Nathan Hindmarsh. Reni Maitua, Joseph Paulo, Ben Smith, Matt Ryan and co will be jostling for minutes, but SuperCoaches will be hoping recruit Daniel Harrison, at just $156,200, can step up his input following restricted game time in a quality Manly pack last year.

Talented young centre Jacob Loko is returning after a knee reconstruction and could be a great cheap prospect, while former Test and State of Origin star Willie Tonga is under-priced at $141,000.

The pricing gurus haven't missed him, but Jarryd Hayne is the best fullback in the history of SuperCoach. He will be more of a handful this year under the new points system, although Ken Sio is overpriced following a stellar debut season.

North Queensland behemoth Tariq Sims is a bargain for 2013 SuperCoaches

THE Cowboys offer some intriguing purchases this year, including potential buy of the year Tariq Sims.

Despite being one of the NRL's premier forwards, Sims is priced almost like a rookie after two broken legs in as many years.

The NSW Origin contender costs $100,000 less than his worth following his barnstorming rookie season in 2011.

The Cowboys have confirmed Sims will be eased back slowly, so patience will be the key.

But if he returns to anywhere near his damaging best, a huge price rise is in store.

Johnathan Thurston, the best playmaker in SuperCoach history, will be even more of a force this season following the change to an attack-oriented points system, while there is also a slight opening for his potential halves partner.

Michael Morgan is assured first crack following a great 2012, but SuperCoaches will be hoping Robert Lui, priced at just $144,000, gets a chance at some stage given he has been handed an $80,000 price discount this year after being banned last season for assaulting his girlfriend.

The retirement of Aaron Payne and departure of James Segeyaro (Panthers) leaves North Queensland with a huge gap at hooker.

The Cowboys have bought former England international Scott Moore, who is reasonably priced at $160,000, while fellow recruits Anthony Mitchell and Rory Kostjasyn could also spend time at hooker.

The new attack-oriented points system will benefit many Cowboys stars (especially Thurston and Matt Bowen), but will spell the SuperCoach end for a lightweight worker like Dallas Johnson.

James Tamou will be a SuperCoach force once again. That said, don't buy him first-up because the new 8m rule for hit-ups will see the prices of most props come down over the opening rounds.

The stud: Tariq Sims

The dud: Dallas Johnson

Warriors playmaker Shaun Johnson is a SuperCoach stud for 2013 - Simon Mannering is to be avoided

MALIGNED New Zealand Warriors playmaker Shaun Johnson is set to join the SuperCoach elite in 2013.

Derided by SuperCoaches in the past for inconsistency, and even dropped by coach Brian McClennan at the tail end of the season, 2012 was a rocky road for Johnson after leading the Warriors to the grand final in his debut season the year before.

But the new attack-oriented points system is a huge plus (he would have averaged 18 more points per game under the new system), while he should score about 12 more SuperCoach points per game after inheriting the kicking duties off James Maloney.

"At this stage, Shaun Johnson [will be the kicker] and that is on the advice of Daryl Halligan,'' says Warriors coach Matt Elliott. "I've worked with Daryl since 2002 and the work that he has done with my kickers has always been outstanding.''

But apart from Johnson, the Warriors are light on for SuperCoach value this year. The departure of five-eighth Maloney has created an opening, with former Panther Harry Seijka offering value at just $122,800. But he's unlikely to score a spot for round one given competition from Carlos Tuimavave, Pita Godinet and Thomas Leuluai, all of whom are too expensive to command big rises.

Attacking ace Feleti Mateo will be highly sought after once again, but Simon Mannering could be on the wane.

Despite playing big minutes, he is not suited to the attacking points system, while his lightweight frame will see him deducted points for hit-ups under eight metres.

SuperCoach risk-takers could also find value in veterans Jerome Ropati ($162,400) and Sam Rapira ($123,400). Both are proven performers, but have horrible injury histories.

The stud: Shaun Johnson

The dud: Simon Mannering

LAST year's NRL SuperCoach winner Ken Billingham reveals his 2013 SuperCoach secrets in his live blog and video.

NRL SuperCoach winner Ken Billingham blogs live

Tuesday February 5, 2013
12:26
Hey guys, Ken here. Hope you have had a great off season, fire away with your questions
12:28
Comment From TDS
tedesco going to get starts?
12:28
not to start the season with Moltzen got the nod from Potter
12:29
Comment From Crow
What are your thoughts on the new scoring system, will it throw your strategies out the window
12:30
All of last years strategies are out the window look for more attacking players and big impact players with a strong tackle bust and offloads
12:31
Comment From DR
C smith first player picked in your squad
certainly
Comment From todd
thinking of playing 3 hookers in front row, farrah smith and rein. Your thoughts?
12:32
almost my starting front row. i like luke in there if you can afford him instead of rein
12:33
Comment From NIC0
Who are three integral players teams must have?
12:33
Thurston ,Smith and Inglis are my picks
12:35
Comment From Teddy
which positions/players are you building your team around to start?
12:35
all mixed i have 5 guys I am bui;ding my team around. JT, GI, Michael Gordon, Farah and Smith
12:36
Comment From Goodhed Foradio
Darcy Lussick is a Dud right ??
12:36
yea not a big enough workrate
12:37
Comment From RNGD
Who are you picking to get the Panthers FB spot?
12:37
Coote will get it at the start of the year. Mansour may get some time there depending on Coote's form
12:38
Comment From Crow
Are there any guns form last season that you will be staying clear of this season?
12:39
props at the moment with the hitup points changes are off my radar for the opening rounds
12:40
Comment From big sam
any love for big sam tagataese?
never
Comment From Josh
Would you put Slater in for the start of the year?
12:41
I have gordon and inglis as starters but you can never rule out slater he is a gun
12:42
Comment From Jamie
Is it worth having Gallen at the start of the year?
12:43
Im not having him in till his price drops, round 3 or 4, with the fowards signed by cronulla his game time will drop
12:44
Comment From sam
H\Who are your forwards. I've gone with Sims as potential cheap buy, but have tentatively put stewart and bird in. Thoughts?
12:47
Ive got sims at the moment and G.Stewart is in my side. I am stearing clear of packing my 2nd row as was done last year in favor of the centres FB and halves
12:47
Comment From Fazz
Who are your cash cows for this year?
12:48
D.Klemmer, M.Chee Kam are looking like my rookies at the moment but it all depends on who is picked for round 1
12:49
Comment From Bob
Shaun Johnson worth picking this year?
12:50
Could be a revelation, I've heard he could be getting the kicking duties at the warriors ill definatly look at him
12:51
Comment From Prad
Do you think G Cooper will have another good year ?
12:52
he will always perform but be could suffer with the hitup points changes
12:52
Comment From Joey
Why don't you have Hayne? Played last year on 1 leg, only averaged 74 minutes (so room for improvement there) and played in a team that ran horrible last. Only way is up. Hayne will be the top player this year.
12:53
just want to see if he is going to 5/8 or not then i will look at him pending where Ricky plays him
12:54
Comment From peter
Do you pay much attention to reserves? I seem to spend my money on starting side and pick cheap rookies with limited game time just in case.
12:55
25 players named is my golden rule for round 1 got to make the cash to upgrade and a later point in the season
12:56
Comment From Joey
Fair enough. I think Hayne is locked into fullback with either Kelly or Roberts 5/8. Hayne will be in no.1 jersey and a SC must IMO.
12:57
if he plays at FB i will definatly look at him to come in just have to see how my team is shaping up at that point
12:58
Comment From Guest
whos the best captain choice this year?
12:58
my choice is Smith
12:59
Comment From Brett
How many hours a week did you put in last year ?
1:00
About 2 hours a night reading up on new info, plus the games I was watching. So a fair amount of time
1:01
Comment From Prad
Pettybourne, Learoyd-Lahrs or R Packer ?
1:01
I like Pettybourne he is in my team at the moment
1:02
Comment From Johnny
Gordon or Hayne if you had to pick one?
Gordon for value in my team at the moment
1:05
Comment From yo gabba gabba
coote will play 5/8 at panthers possible whare at flb
1:06
Yea made a foul up on the coote issue havent had a decent look at all the lineups yet
Comment From Fazz
Gidley & Campese back from injury this yr, and cheap + potential goal kickers. Thoughts?
1:07
I have Campese drafted in and Gidley is a gun when he is fit i wouldnt rule him out
1:08
Comment From Bob
Whay are you picking Campese when he won't start Round 1?
1:10
my team has changed 4-5 times since the gates opened and wont be finalised till the first round starts and then it could change as the round progresses with the rolling lockouts
Comment From mmmm
whose a must have from the titans
1:11
i have Idris penciled his price is low and hopefully his surgery has fixed him up so he can get back to his best
1:13
Comment From Jamie
Do you reckon Sandow will produce as good as thirsting value wise or is thurston a must
1:14
i cant go past thurston but Sandow can only improve on last year definatly worth a look
Comment From dom
Will jacob miller start? And who is your rookie of choice
1:15
Jacob miller is getting the nod from potter and I have him in at this point in time on the bench
1:16
Comment From Adam
Who are your reserve halves?
Drinkwater and Jacob Miller at the moment but it should change at Drinkwater doesnt look like starting round 1
1:17
Comment From Rachel
Maloney+JT vs Hayne+Gidley? Cheers ;)
Tough one but JT+Maloney gets it from me
1:18
Comment From Adammckay
In your 2nd row do you go for 80 min players or impact?
Try for 80 min players but they have to work while they are out there
Comment From YOOOOO!!!!!
starters in centres wing positions
1:19
Inglis, T-rex, Idris and Lawrence at the momet are in my team
1:20
Comment From Darren
Who are your must have rookies this year???
The ones that get a start in round 1
1:21
Comment From Sensei
How hard did you go on your trades early on last year?
i was out of trades by rd 21
Comment From DR
do you bother getting SC gold
1:22
had it last year and have it again this year
Comment From Tom
If Inglis is in your wings/centres who do you have at fullback?
1:23
M.Gordon and Tedesco but seeing as moltzen is getting the nod to start Tedesco will have to go
Comment From John B
Is Luke Lewis on your radar and do you consider Yow Yeh a good cheapie?
1:24
Yow Yeh when he gets back on the field could be a solid buy
Comment From Beefy
Is big Sammy Burgess worth the money in 2nd row this year? an absolute gun when he plays, and no one seems to be talking him up this year. Could be a good POD. Also, your thoughts on $BW?
1:25
Im going for 1 or the other to start the season Burgess is in at the moment
Comment From keith
would you try to jam as many big name players into your team at the start or would you try 250k players and build up?
1:26
pick about 5 -6 guns and fill the rest in with players that are starting in round 1 to get those price rises to get in more guns i dont think you can change that strategy
Comment From Prad
Prices dont change till Round 3 or 4 right ? Or has that changed this year ?
1:27
RD 3 as always
Comment From smoky from cano
is gallen a must for round 1
1:28
im steering clear till his price drops but you could do worse than have him in to start
Comment From Luke
Is playing inglis at centre a big deal, or can I have him at fullback?
1:29
its just where i have decided to put him fullbacks will be good buys this season i think
Comment From Darren
What position do you spend the less on forwards maybe?
2nd row this year im spending the least on average
1:30
Comment From Horsy
Ken, the front and seoond rows has been all important up to now. Will you stick with the likes of Gallen, Smith, Farrah? Is there a different player who is a must to pick under the new rules?
hookers will fill my frf
1:31
Comment From guy
is gids better at fback or hback?
1:32
I wouldnt pick him if he plays in the halves
Comment From jayden
who is going to be proven must have rookie?
1:33
D.Klemmer if he gets a run will be good.
1:34
Comment From Darren
Who have you got in your starting 2nd row?
1:35
Stagg, Maitua and G.Stewart at the moment
Comment From Sensei
What was the turning point for you last year? When did you start to think you were a chance?
1:36
when i logged on after the final round and saw No.1 as my overall position
1:37
78 points behind coming into last round thought i was no chance
Comment From Tom
Thoughts on D.Boyd? With the new points system I think he is underpriced
could be gold if he produces his form from the dragons
Comment From Johny
How is Jason Taumalolo looking for you should get more game time this year
1:38
im definitely keeping an eye on him
Comment From Will
Whats your Supercoach Gold projected RD 1 score at the moment? :)
1:39
Comment From JOE THE MAN
ben teo at centre what u reckon?
1:40
at 270700 he is out of my range but could be a good POD
1:40
Comment From Titan-man
Sezer a good pick at half this year with no Prince? Who will kick for the Titans?
1:41
i think Sezer will kick and could be a key player at the titans this year
1:42
Comment From mrbulldog
thoughts on aiden tolman
all props are off my buy list to start the season
Comment From TDS
K Inu for CTW spot? or better served with Idris this year?
1:44
Inu kicks goals and I would have him if his form from last year continues. But at 307500 ill stick with gambling on Idris though for now
1:44
Comment From Larry
Do you go a gun fullback for round 1 captain?
1:45
Cameron Smith is getting the C in my team
1:45
Comment From Chris
I don't think you are being genuine naming your team - some of your picks are terrible!
1:46
Yea i know but my team will not be finalised till round 1 teams are out what can i say i think everones team will change before the curtain is raise on thje new season mine especially
1:48
Comment From Steve
Do you suggest stacking CTW over 2RF this year?
1:48
im going that way
1:50
Comment From guy
what are your thoughts on Mitch Rein?
1:51
looking at him closely i spred a bit thin on cash in my team at this point in time though
Comment From Sam
Thoughts on T-REX, reckon he is worth the buy?
i have him in but want to see how he plays in the trials to be sure
1:52
Comment From Steve
Buhrer gotta be a lock??
1:53
im looking at him and his price is right for him to come in
Comment From Al
Curious to get your thoughts on Tyson Frizell.
Want to see how he will be used first
1:55
Comment From Jack
Who do you think is a reasonably priced ball-playing back-rower. Wade Graham or Braith Anasta perhaps?
1:55
i like graham over anasta
1:56
Anyway guys ive got to shoot off good luck and have a good day

NRL SuperCoach Insider: The Broncos

THE arrival of Scott Prince creates SuperCoach drama at the Broncos, most notably for SuperCoach favourite Corey Parker.

Statistically the second best player in SuperCoach history, Parker has two things working against him this year.

Firstly, he may relinquish the goal kicking duties to Prince, robbing him of about 12 points per game. Secondly, the new attack-oriented points system, particularly the 8m hit-up rule, does not suit workers as much as in the past.

Likewise, Prince’s arrival also creates a conundrum in the halves, with Corey Norman the likely loser, and Andrew McCullough a possible winner.

With Peter Wallace and Prince set to be the halves, something has to give: Norman.

But a move to fullback seems unlikely given coach Anthony Griffin says he’s keen to keep Josh Hoffman at No. 1, while Justin Hodges has also expressed a desire to move into the back-field.

Norman is therefore more likely to move to the bench. If so, Ben Hunt drops off the interchange, leaving 80 minutes for hooker McCullough.

The departure of Petero Civoniceva creates minutes in the front row, with Scott Anderson a possibly beneficiary. He only managed five games in 2012 due to a foot injury - at an average of just 23 minutes per match.

Consequently, his $112,600 starting price is well below his worth in the past, when he was a key member of Brisbane’s pack.

But with one of the best points per minute rates in the game (better than Paul Gallen), Anderson has plenty of room for improvement, if named ahead of fringe props David Hala, Jarrod Wallace and Mitchell Dodds.

Matt Gillett has oozed SuperCoach potential for years. And 2013 could be his season to deliver given the departure of Ben Te’o and Gillett’s new-found dual position status in SuperCoach (centre/wing and back row).

Similarly, with Gerard Beale (Dragons) gone, Hoffman set to play fullback and Yow Yeh (leg) out indefinitely, a wing spot could open for a rookie.

The stud: Scott Anderson
The dud: Corey Parker

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Thursday Blog with Sangster

Welcome all. Fire away.
Comment From Josh
What positions do you think we should concentrate on the most
1:03
Props will be the least valuable to start, so stock up on hookers as your front row guns, then buy some props later on when their prices drop due to the 8 metre rule.
Comment From Colin
is dugan a good buy?
I have him in the "too injury prone" basket.
1:04
Then again, I've got Gidley and Michael Gordon in my team, but they are better value.
Comment From Tremain
Hey Sangster, what do you think, Sandow or Sezer?
Like them both. Prefer Sandow.
Comment From Glenn
Good ploy to load halves/ backs and play 200-300k 2RFs?
Similar to what I'm thinking. Although I'd spend a bit more cash in 2RF. You still need a few guns in each position to start the year.
Comment From Darren
Are the player prices based on old system stats or new system stats?
New.
Comment From James
luke bailey your thought?
Nah. Game time is waning.
Comment From Guest
Kingston to still play 80?
Not with Segeyaro now at the Panthers.
Comment From Darren
If prices are based on new system stats why will Props prices fall? Should already be reflected in the price.
Prices have been calculated on the new points system, apart from one key point. All hit-ups have been scored as two points (as per the old system), whereas the new system stipulates that hit-ups under 8m get 1 point and hit-ups over 8m get 2 points. As such, all players are slightly overpriced, particularly props (and all forwards really) as they make the most hit-ups.
Comment From Tommy
Inu worth the $307 000?
No.
Comment From todd
what does your second row look like atm?
Sonny. Dave Taylor or Mateo. And four cheapies.
Comment From cody
Beau Champion to find his form at Souths and be a bargain at $180
1:12
Like him as a player, but not for SuperCoach.
Comment From Athlon
Will Blake Austin play in the halves this year? Thoughts on him?
Expecting Walsh and Coote to play in the halves at Penrith.
Comment From Richie
Will Taumalolo get good mins this year at Cowboys?
He's a bit of a dark horse IMO. Only averaged 30 mins last year so any increase in game time will see a steep increase in score given he produces great points per minute.
Comment From rock
Kane evans, worth a look?
Yep, I think he'll get a crack at first grade at some stage this year, but maybe not for round one.
Comment From Coote
Sheck to be starting at fullback this year?
Hope so, but not sure. Will happen, just a matter of when.
Comment From Sinc
In supercoach gold, are players averages from previous years based on the new scoring system or the system used in that year?
Yes.
Comment From Naya
Inglis now... or wait till later?
I think I'm going to wait until later. Prefer Hayne for SuperCoach, especially under a new coach. But def want Inglis at some stage.
Comment From Nrl News and Scores
Is Supercoach GOld worth buying will it give you more of a chance to win
I know I always look like I'm just plugging the product when I say this, but seriously, SuperCoach Gold is freakin awesome. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will back me up on that too. Essential if you're serious.
Comment From Richie
Mitch Rein or Matt Srama?
Prefer Rein.
Comment From Guest
any potential with juior sa'u??
Not really feeling the love. He's not a gun, not a cheapie. Prefer to stick to one or the other and avoid mid-range buys where possible.
Guns and rooks.
Comment From Pardo
do u see townsend from the sharks getting a start?
Only if Carney is not ready for round one.
Comment From R P MacMurphy
How many centres over 200k should we have at the start of the year.
Probs only two or three.
Comment From LIKE Nrl News & Scores FB
Beau Scott at $220K good buy or not?
He averaged close to 80 mins last year. Not a great deal of room for improvement. Doesn't suit attacking points system.
Comment From Shane
Whats your thoughts on Issac Luke and Nathan Peats?
I will avoid Luke first up given the presence of Peats, but will look to jump on later, hopefully after a price drop.
He's a SuperCoach gun, even with 60 mins IMO.
And with 80 mins (unlikely) he's a superstar.
Comment From Gallen
Tamou a good front row option?
See above re not liking props to start the year. Put him in the ever-growing "later" basket.
Comment From Brad
If whare plays fb is he in your team ?
No. Like him but prefer others.
Comment From PantherFan
Fulton worth the $303K gotta be getting the minutes this year?
Don't like him this year given the change to the 8 metre rule.
Comment From LIKE Nrl News & Scores FB
Are you liking Brett Morris?
In the "later" basket. Hoping to pick up some backline guns for bargains later on given their prices fluctuate.
Comment From Davo
Jennings had a bad 2012 but still managed 110 tackle breaks - 2013?
I'm probably not going to take the punt on him, but I can see why people would, especially if he's on the same side as Sonny Bill. The centre outside Sonny Bill this year is a near-must, but not sure if it will be Jennings or Kenny-Dowall.
Comment From Steve
Sanga, Is Hayne in your team ? If so, what position ?
Got him staring at fullback.
*Starting.
1:33
Comment From Guest
James Maloney or go the bargain smokey in Albert Kelly?
Albert Kelly is pretty much a must if named for round one. Don't mind Maloney as a gun either, but prefer others.
Comment From Brad
Is gidley going to score in the halves, worth a punt ?
He's probably better at fullback, but a SuperCoach gun wherever he plays.
Comment From Guest
what is your starting halves combination?
Have JT and Sandow at the moment.
Comment From Guest
Great minds think alike it appears
Comment From Richie
Campese, thoughts?
Gone cold given he may not be ready for round one.
Got to shoot off everyone. Plenty of work to do with the drugs in sports story having broken today. Catch you all later.

Writer: League Central

NRL SuperCoach live chat with Tom Sangster

. link

SUPERCOACH BACKROW LOWDOWN VIDEO

NRL SuperCoach Insider: The Rabbitohs
ONE Burgess's pain is another's gain. With the eldest of South Sydney's four Burgess brothers, Luke, out for six months with a shoulder injury, the big SuperCoach winner could be brother George.

The 120kg monster -- just $105,400 for SuperCoach -- will be battling it out for a front row spot with Roy Asotasi, Jeff Lima, Jason Clark, Dave Tyrrell and Josh Starling.

Ironically, the other obstacle in George's way is another brother, Sam, who may push up from the back row to prop.

Sam himself will be hot SuperCoach property once again, particularly under the new attack-oriented points system, which suits his bash and crash style.

His potential partner in the back row, new recruit Ben Te'o, also looks an intriguing purchase.

Te'o averaged 58 minutes last year at the Broncos, but those figures are skewed as he played some full games away from the action at centre. The Queensland representative is eyeing 80 minutes in the back row this year as Dave Taylor's replacement.

Barring injury, superstar fullback Greg Inglis will be even more of a SuperCoach handful this year under the new points system. He would have averaged 80 if last year's stats were calculated via the new system (a massive 21-point increase). Inglis averaged almost eight tackle busts a game, the most in the competition.

With tackle busts to score two SuperCoach points this year, 16 of those extra 21 points (or 76 per cent) came from tackle busts.

Issac Luke is one of the best SuperCoach players of all time, but has the shadow of Nathan Peats hanging over him in 2013.

Coach Michael Maguire has publicly backed the Luke/Peats hooking combo, which could create some drama for Luke.

Luke averaged 68 minutes last year. But given Peats only stole Luke's game time for the back half of the season, his average minutes could drop below 60 this year.

Even averaging 60 minutes, Luke will be a SuperCoach force at some stage, but maybe not an initial buy. So wait for a price drop, then buy him.

The stud: George Burgess

The dud: Issac Luke

James Graham ban creates SuperCoach opportunity with cheap Bulldogs players
THE long-term suspension of James Graham for his grand final bite on Billy Slater creates a big SuperCoach opportunity at the Bulldogs.

More responsibility will fall to Aiden Tolman and Sam Kasiano, but the big SuperCoach winners could be youngsters Dale Finucane and David Klemmer, who are both very cheap.

Finucane, who costs just $125,600, averaged 25 minutes per game last year for the Bulldogs, but it's realistic to expect his game time to increase to 35-40 minutes this season.

Toyota Cup player of the year Klemmer, at just $87,500, is set to explode in the NRL this season, although he faces competition for a bench spot from livewire Martin Taupau, who is also a pretty handy talent.

Star recruit Tony Williams looms as a SuperCoach option given he benefits from the new attack-oriented points system.

Williams' average from last year would have increased by 15 points under the new system, a huge rise for a forward.

Ben Barba is coming off one of the best NRL seasons in recent memory, but law of averages says he won't be able to keep the stats coming.

The same goes for five-eighth Josh Reynolds and centre Krisnan Inu, who will have a tough time keeping up their incredible 2012 form.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4