NRL ref check

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
what this game and every fan needs is a NRL ref check system
First we need to get a score for penalties.
5 th tackle penalties are worth more
1 st tackle penalties are worth less
Back to back penalties worth more,( except on line) etc etc
First half penalties as opposed go second half
Trailing or leading
Any rank all the penalties like supercoach system with a stack of variables
Make it free for everyone
Maybe get a crowdsource to fund it.
Not massive but get that system out there everyone

Make sure every fan knows that not all penalties are equal, i bet the NRL would ****ing hate it

Manly and Easts are the two most penalised teams in the NRL. It has been this way for decades.
The reason, in my humble opinion, is that very few of the refs are from these areas of Sydney.
Other refs have a clearly biased view of Manly and Easts, just as the rest of the rugby league community has.
Even if these refs think they are unbiased there is a default mechanism in the brain that wants both these clubs to lose.
The answer is to get more refs who have been born and raised in the Manly-Warringah area and the Eastern Suburbs.
Oh. And to rid the NRL of corrupt officials.

Manly and Easts are the two most penalised teams in the NRL. It has been this way for decades.
The reason, in my humble opinion, is that very few of the refs are from these areas of Sydney.
Other refs have a clearly biased view of Manly and Easts, just as the rest of the rugby league community has.
Even if these refs think they are unbiased there is a default mechanism in the brain that wants both these clubs to lose.
The answer is to get more refs who have been born and raised in the Manly-Warringah area and the Eastern Suburbs.
The number of penalties is irrelevant - Rorters won the comp in 2013 :banghead: with one of the worst discipline records ever. It's the impact of those penalties on the flow of the game and momentum of teams.
I would love to have a play on that sort of dataset :nerd:. The tricky part would be getting the data. I don't think there is anything like that available now so it would need a (responsible) person to record each penalty and the lead-up to it.

Agree with that, there is clear bias there if we have a look at the penalty rank under different coaches/players and also compare to what hasler ranked when he was at the dogs
If it wasn't biased or corrupt, youd assume we'd be hating our coaches for being responsible for our record, but I for one can't lay any blame on the coaches as they would be hating it more so than us supporters. Two options, an investigation or sack barrett

Performance requires accountability and the referees at present have next to none. The absence of real leadership is the root of the problem. I feel like the NRL commission are invisible people. Do they actually do anything?

One of the most common lines trotted out is that "Players make mistakes every week and the fans aren't calling for their heads are they ?"

Big difference.....When a player makes a mistake it affects HIM (and HIS team).

When a referee makes a mistake........it affects OTHERS.

His job is not physical. People can drop passes or miss tackles. It happens.
But their job is to LOOK. WATCH. SEE. And they have help from touch judges and a bunker utilising a zillion cameras. Get it right and stop missing what 99% of the population can see with their eyes shut.

FFS.

One of the most common lines trotted out is that "Players make mistakes every week and the fans aren't calling for their heads are they ?"

Big difference.....When a player makes a mistake it affects HIM (and HIS team).

When a referee makes a mistake........it affects OTHERS.

His job is not physical. People can drop passes or miss tackles. It happens.
But their job is to LOOK. WATCH. SEE. And they have help from touch judges and a bunker utilising a zillion cameras. Get it right and stop missing what 99% of the population can see with their eyes shut.

FFS.

That’s the thing isn’t it, they’ve got a gazillion cameras running, 4 officials on ground AND a bunker.

And they STILL **** IT UP!!

That’s the annoying thing.

You either,

1) go back to one ref , ditch the bunker, don’t allow slo mo replays of every try and we just suck it up.

2) get the current system working as it’s not rocket science.

what this game and every fan needs is a NRL ref check system
First we need to get a score for penalties.
5 th tackle penalties are worth more
1 st tackle penalties are worth less
Back to back penalties worth more,( except on line) etc etc
First half penalties as opposed go second half
Trailing or leading
Any rank all the penalties like supercoach system with a stack of variables
Make it free for everyone
Maybe get a crowdsource to fund it.
Not massive but get that system out there everyone

Make sure every fan knows that not all penalties are equal, i bet the NRL would ****ing hate it

Brilliant idea, so good I am sure some will try to 'memory hole' it asap.

also add non-awarded penalties
fake penalties

I suspect the 9-3 penalty count last Friday would have been more like 50-3

goodness the 'dudded' deniers would be in a spin having their eyes forcibly opened like that....

Brilliant idea, so good I am sure some will try to 'memory hole' it asap.

also add non-awarded penalties
fake penalties

I suspect the 9-3 penalty count last Friday would have been more like 50-3

goodness the 'dudded' deniers would be in a spin having their eyes forcibly opened like that....

Yeah agree, not all penalties are equal.
If i lost a penalty count 12 - 8 but got 6 of those penalties on 4th or 5th coming out of trouble at regular intervals i would take that **** every day if the week and have a healthy sportstab account.

Especially if 3 penalties are awarded on first to the opposition and 3 inside the 10 m attacking zone. Its a nothing penalty and its how i think the system is cooked. The Non Even Steven or the NES system

And what about penalties with ball in hand like when a drop kick was awarded then a penalty over rule.

If i got to a 12 nil lead and got the next 3 penalties id pay for that ****, if im down by 12 at half time and get the first 5 , that is essentially purchasing shares in a comeback .

It takes special players to turn a tide once a team is dominant. to kick , chase, inspire, absorb. There are only a few players in the game that can truely lay claim, them and the REFS.

Investigation ?

Hear me out here !!

All Nrl games are played with dozens of live cameras every game.

If we have driverless cars already driving ,why cant we have an Artificial intelligence ref system.

Probably would be a great way to promote our game around the world if we were the first major sport
using such a system.It is used to a lesser extent in many other sports,why not try going the whole hog??

Surely these pr1cks have proven they cant do a decent job,at least the bias may be taken out if every team was getting the same reffing treatment equally.

You cant argue about taking the humanity out of the game as the NRL have already managed to do that already!!

Get rid of Graeme Anusley and all those ref and touchie wages,it would pay for itself within a few years.

Last edited:
For those of you that want to get a different perspective can I suggest you check out the podcase "Against the rules" where (and I quote) "Journalist and bestselling author Michael Lewis (Liar's Poker, Moneyball) takes a searing look at what’s happened to fairness—in financial markets, newsrooms, basketball games, courts of law, and much more. And he asks what’s happening to a world where everyone loves to hate the referee."

The first episode is entitled "Ref You Suck" - where they visit and share the inner workings of the NBL replay centre (bunker) - this (and all episodes) are very interesting and informative,

I’m all for technology to rule on Forward passes, ball strips, the time players are held in tackles, whether in or out line calls,etc
I think the rest fans could live with
As it currently stands there is just to much bias in reffing fairly
Surely refs are like the rest of us .......follow a particular team
So who can categorically rule out corruption by refs
Nobody
The solution ?..limit there influence by introducing technology to make close calls
If our Souths loss had been reffed fairly I have no doubts we would have won

For transparency purposes I think refs should declare who they supported and who they hated as a child, and not be able to ref those games.

Also each team should get two ref's picks at the start of the season, of refs who have been openly biased against us in the past, and they cannot referee that teams games.

However, two picks may not be enough for Manly . . . . .

For transparency purposes I think refs should declare who they supported and who they hated as a child, and not be able to ref those games.

Also each team should get two ref's picks at the start of the season, of refs who have been openly biased against us in the past, and they cannot referee that teams games.

However, two picks may not be enough for Manly . . . . .

In Manly's case, we would need two regular referee picks and two bunker referee picks.

Also, ex-players should not be able to sit in commentary on games that their previous team are playing in as far as I am concerned too. I am so over all of the bias commentary on FOX. I don't watch Nein's League coverage except for SOO but I assume that they are the same. I know a few years ago when I didn't have FOX and I had to watch Nein's coverage, I know Fittler's commentary was bias to anything Chooks when they were doing a Chook's game so I doubt much would have changed.

At work we have been trying to address our diversity and part of the education revolves around unconscious bias. If you consider that for an eternity, when asked who do you support most league supporters will say their team and whoever is playing Manly. Therefore, if that has been your belief for most of your life then no matter how hard you try to appear impartial when your sub-conscious kicks in and you make automatic decisions and reactions it is possible that those biases will surface.

So no matter what we do we need to understand that split second calls will go against us. The challenge for the players is to reduce the opportunity where a referee has to make a negative call. The challenge for the supporters is to be loud and proud at games as noise and boisterous encouragement could possibly reduce the effect of the subconscious reactions. Just a thought !!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6