NRL Recruitment Chat Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don't you find it amazing that Brisbane is such a poor team yet clubs are throwing huge money on their players, such as Coates, Lodge and TPJ? If they were as good as the salaries they are commanding then why hasn't it translated into wins for the Donkeys? Why is Brisbane so eager to get rid of these guys? Shouldn't it be a warning to clubs that they are bad news?
I guess Brisbane are being pragmatic given where they are and what they need to do to be competitive again.

Each of the guys you mentioned (I will add Milf in who was rumoured to be in Parra’s sights) are a different proposition.

Coates and Milf are in reserve grade for poor form and not going to be with them next year, so might as well try and get something now given that they are not going to make the finals. If a club came to us and asked for Siro for the rest of the year, we might consider that a good deal.

From all reports Lodge is a ‘model citizen’ these days so releasing him was purely to free up cash.

TPJ is the one that could be bad news, I agree. but the dogs are desperate, that is for sure!!

I think what it does show is how royally Bennett screwed them when he left!!

I must say I just don’t get all these last minute changes being allowed to happen.

It really smells of favouritism to me.
I don't subscribe to the favouritism tag but agree the timing has a stench to it. August 1 is too late, it is inevitable that underperforming clubs will flog their overpaid stars to teams that are in the mix for the finals. I wouldn't have a problem with it if Panthers were signing TPJ for 2022 but a short term rental this late in the season should be something the NRL actively avoids.

I don't subscribe to the favouritism tag but agree the timing has a stench to it. August 1 is too late, it is inevitable that underperforming clubs will flog their overpaid stars to teams that are in the mix for the finals. I wouldn't have a problem with it if Panthers were signing TPJ for 2022 but a short term rental this late in the season should be something the NRL actively avoids.
And there’s the favouritism!!

You may not subscribe to it , but this is a perfect example of it !!

It might just backfire on the 'Riff. They seemed to be a happy unit, many of whom are locals who have played together in the juniors. Then they bring in an outsider who seems to be a troublemaker. He's only going to be there for a handful of matches. He takes the place of a much-liked teammate who has busted his gut over the past two seasons. He doesn't deserve a premiership....
I reckon it's a risky strategy and one that goes against what Penrith have been building. Why do Penrith think they need him when the only matches they have lost this season is when they were sans their SOO players? :)
Hope so

And there’s the favouritism!!

You may not subscribe to it , but this is a perfect example of it !!
Lots of teams have 120k left in the bank for this year. The NRL would've allowed any team to sign TPJ. If it wasn't for JFH welcoming his daughter into the world, I doubt the Panthers would've looked at TPJ.

To me it looks like Panthers are nervous about their depth in the middle and this is a Hail Mary to sure it up, before the window slams shut in the next few years.

Just wait for a repeat of what the warriors and dragons did.
Imagine Hayne Paas with a 10 yr contract and broncos are near last next year has his ten year contract cancelled and replaced with a 6 week contract for the end of the season with the Roosters and a new 9 year bronco contract from the following season.

I'm seeking clarification on the salary cap rules. As I understand it clubs that don't spend all their Cap can transfer it to the following year. This mans that, for example, Brisbane is able to use the money freed up by Lodge, TPJ etc to boost its Cap spending in 2022.
Is that correct?
If so, for how many seasons is this allowed? Could a club skimp on its Cap for years then have a war chest much much higher in one future year when it buys a premiership?
I don't know why the NRL doesn't have a trade period from the end of one premiership to the start of the pre-season the next. All recruitment should be done then, and it's final. Bad luck if a club has to sack players mid-season; I see that as the vagaries of the sport and little different to when players suffer season-ending injuries.

I'm seeking clarification on the salary cap rules. As I understand it clubs that don't spend all their Cap can transfer it to the following year. This mans that, for example, Brisbane is able to use the money freed up by Lodge, TPJ etc to boost its Cap spending in 2022.
Is that correct?
If so, for how many seasons is this allowed? Could a club skimp on its Cap for years then have a war chest much much higher in one future year when it buys a premiership?
I don't know why the NRL doesn't have a trade period from the end of one premiership to the start of the pre-season the next. All recruitment should be done then, and it's final. Bad luck if a club has to sack players mid-season; I see that as the vagaries of the sport and little different to when players suffer season-ending injuries.
Well what clubs do is front load already contracted players payments. So I presume that it's all a matter of context and detail as to how many seasons it may last. For eg turbo is contracted for 6 years.. we have freed up 120k.. we could cut 20k over 6 years of salary cap or 120k off the following seasons cap with one lump sum

So as Mark put in the rumours and signings thread, Finucane is off to the Sharks for $2.5m over 4 years. $625k a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to earn that kind of money. But the way all the journos were talking about him, you'd be in your rights to think he is one of the game's elite players. $625k a year doesn't even get you into the Top 50 paid players in the comp.

So as Mark put in the rumours and signings thread, Finucane is off to the Sharks for $2.5m over 4 years. $625k a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to earn that kind of money. But the way all the journos were talking about him, you'd be in your rights to think he is one of the game's elite players. $625k a year doesn't even get you into the Top 50 paid players in the comp.
For 4 years too,that is a fair retirement package.The release of AFB and the rumours of Taupau being allowed to look around,fulfills me with hope that Manly are not going to pay overs are chase aging players.Hopefully the Aaron Woods rumours are just that or I’ll look foolish

If Finucane lasts four years I'll be very surprised. No other clubs wanted to sign him for longer than three years.
I think he'll perform like Joel Thompson did for Manly; very capable for the first year or two but then old legs will render him a plodder for the last two seasons, or he'll retire before he sees out his contract.

If Finucane lasts four years I'll be very surprised. No other clubs wanted to sign him for longer than three years.
I think he'll perform like Joel Thompson did for Manly; very capable for the first year or two but then old legs will render him a plodder for the last two seasons, or he'll retire before he sees out his contract.
Don’t know mate, I think he will prove to be a value signing, quality human and absolute work horse, complete professional, i would of been happy to see him at our club.

That is probably less than they are paying Fafita at the moment.

And a lot less than a certain team paying the older brother 900k for 5 seasons.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6