NRL owes Tooves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
GEOFF Toovey should invoice the NRL, with interest. What's the bank interest on $10,000 these days, anyway?

Does it cover the cost of a phone call from NRL headquarters? Toovey's post-match press conference that cost him the fine is something the NRL has been crying out for, and instead of encouraging him they stomped on him.

Read More

GEOFF Toovey should invoice the NRL, with interest. What's the bank interest on $10,000 these days, anyway?

Does it cover the cost of a phone call from NRL headquarters? Toovey's post-match press conference that cost him the fine is something the NRL has been crying out for, and instead of encouraging him they stomped on him.

Yet Channel 9 recognised the appeal of Toovey's candidness enough to make it part of their finals promotions package. Fox Sports also recognised it, and at Thursday's grand final lunch it got a run again.

The night before, Toovey and Roosters coach Trent Robinson came on NRL360 where it got a run again, backed up by support from these quarters that Toovey should never have been fined.

Geoff Toovey says he won't be masking any emotions in the coaches box on Grand Final day.

The need for honesty and transparency such as Toovey displayed — which didn't cross the line as the NRL claims — has never been more apparent than this week.

Toovey is as relaxed as any coach ever seen in his first grand final. He sat in the green room before Wednesday's appearance on NRL360, chatting with Robinson as if there wasn't a worry to consider.

His cool demeanour is reflected in the Sea Eagles who, after a dark period where the club was at war with the NRL and the media, has shifted significantly since he took over last year.

There is a sunlight in the Sea Eagles' camp that wasn't there before.

But the fine seemed to be in the back of his mind as the questions came at him in his last public press conference on Thursday. Why wouldn't it be, when honesty is discouraged?

The impact of Toovey's fine was seen elsewhere in grand final week, in the manner of a death by 1000 cuts. The Roosters have refused to allow Sonny Bill Williams to be interviewed at any point this week. One of the biggest name in Sunday's game, his voice silent.

Speaking on NRL 360, Manly coach Geoff Toovey says his team has been underestimated this season.

How many pages of newsprint a Williams interview would have generated is something we can only guess at now, but it was an opportunity to sell the game that the NRL missed.

The Roosters open media day on Tuesday provided just a few players, far from the entire squad, far from the biggest names, and again, when the NRL should have been out selling its biggest moment, the opportunity was let slip.

By comparison, Manly made everybody available.

The NRL can thank Toovey for that. He doesn't carry a grudge, as they might believe.

Outside the official press conference at Thursday's grand final lunch no Roosters players were allowed to be interviewed.

It is traditionally the last time the media interviews players before leaving them alone to prepare for Sunday's decider.

By contrast, the Sea Eagles, led by Toovey, had them all available. As you can see, the most talked about fine of the season is also the greatest injustice. As they walked off set of NRL360 Toovey held out his hand.

“Thanks Trent," he said.

"See you, mate. See you tomorrow," Robinson said. "We've got the lunch."

"That's right," Toovey said, following Robinson out.

It reminded me of Sam the Sheepdog and Ralph the Coyote from those old Looney Tunes cartoons — just moments before the work whistle goes off.

Paul Kent http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kent-on-saturday-10000-reasons-why-the-nrl-owes-geoff-toovey/story-fni3fbgz-1226733147045

The fact that they use the same footage to promote the finals, plus he never called anyone's integrity into question, plus JT never got fined for his 'ref's are cheats' comments shows how there needs to be another avenue of appeal over his fine.

Yes yes yes, I know....there needs to be an investigation!

It's the same with the 'battle of brookie.' Everyone went 'tut tut tut' whilst using it in every promo they could.

Wankers.

Toovey will never get an apology from Greenturd. Its now a pride thing and there is no justice or common sense it that decision.

Toovey has risen above it and its drawn the team closer together.

I do not want to get ahead of myself but karma would be Greenturd having to face Toovey and the boys after tomorrows game.

Greenturd has set a new standard for unfairness. He makes Gallop look like the sugar plum fairy.

Come one NRL get your act together and get someone who will represent ALL of the clubs.

It is the same as the battle of brookie in 2011 - it was awful for the game blah blah but let's use it to promote games and finals

Brookie4eva said:
What the hell is going on with Paul Kent .... I am agreeing with him way too much lately. :huh: :huh: :huh:

Yes i had similar thoughts. He is a Manly hater yes, but he is also a hater of injustice also. And the NRL reek's of injustice in regard to our treatment (amongst many other things). Keep pumping out those articles Kenty!

Lord Eagleton said:
Brookie4eva said:
What the hell is going on with Paul Kent .... I am agreeing with him way too much lately. :huh: :huh: :huh:

Yes i had similar thoughts. He is a Manly hater yes, but he is also a hater of injustice also. And the NRL reek's of injustice in regard to our treatment (amongst many other things). Keep pumping out those articles Kenty!

Wasn't it Paul Kent that said he didn't hate Manly , just there supporters .

Yes it was, but i dont really believe him :D
That said, i get the feeling his dislike of the management of league at present outweighs that of Manly

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4