NRL Lockout - CBA?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't know how this can be let run. Is Newton a bigger w@nker than PVL and Abdo....Disgraceful that the non event commission have let it go this far. Whatever the reason the NRL look more stupid than normal.

Last edited:
Similar to this 2012–13 NHL lockout - Wikipedia , perhaps @globaleagle can comment more?

It's when a season is abandoned / shutdown.

Basically, all the billionaire owners gather around and cry poor, saying they can't possibly afford to give out any more money.

All the players say that's b/s and point to the huge profits.

In come the lawyers.

And the season is abandoned.

the fans claim that hate hockey and their team, and won't watch any game ever again.
-lock out ends
-fans flock back to games.

If you'd like an example of how little the owners think of fans, after losing a whole season to a lock out, as an apology, the owner of the canucks offered $1 discount of soft-drinks only 1 per person, only on opening night.

"Lockout" comes from players being locked out of the stadiums, etc.

What's a lockout? I know lockdown but not lockout, unless someone loses the keys to Brookie?
In case that was a real question (!) - in an industrial dispute it's the opposite of a strike by workers.
In a strike, the workers all say give us what we demand or we'll all stop work.
In a lockout, the owners say agree to what we demand or we're locking the gates and you can't work.
As @globaleagle says, not uncommon in major league sports. (many of which operate as legalised cartels.)

Australian examples - in 1998 the union-busting Patrick stevedore Co. sacked all its workers and locked the wharves all round the country, and in 2011 Qantas declared a lockout and cancelled all flights for several days.

In every case it's an assault on the rights of workers (including players) designed to smash their power to negotiate better pay/conditions. Because of course the owners want lower pay and less red tape (meaning less safety/security)

1671315950119.png

Sporting lock outs must be a bit of a legal minefield with honoring player contracts and so on . Probably the fans who are most disadvantaged . Just noted the recent proposed industrial lock outs with some tug boat crews around Australia and the F W C intervening and apparently deeming it unwarranted . And again whether employees are still entitled to get paid normally when they have not withdrawn their labour . Bit above my pay grade to comprehend , leave it to the legal profession and various tribunals

Sporting lock outs must be a bit of a legal minefield with honoring player contracts and so on . Probably the fans who are most disadvantaged . Just noted the recent proposed industrial lock outs with some tug boat crews around Australia and the F W C intervening and apparently deeming it unwarranted . And again whether employees are still entitled to get paid normally when they have not withdrawn their labour . Bit above my pay grade to comprehend , leave it to the legal profession and various tribunals

It's why a lot of the nhl payers are requesting signing bonuses as part of the contract. That way, no matter what happens the bonus is paid.

I think a player 'Tavares' had a 14 mill contract. 1 mill was 'wage' and 13 was a signing bonus!

edit:

Here's the info:

John Tavares signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the summer of 2018 was a perfect, high-profile example of a contract loaded with signing bonuses.

His seven-year, $77 million contract contains $70.89 million in signing bonuses and just $6.11 million in base salary.

In 2018-19, he was paid a total of $15.9 million, including only $650,000 in base salary — the league minimum — and a $15.25 million signing bonus.

The remaining $55.64 million in signing bonuses will be paid over the six remaining years of the contract, regardless of whether or not he ever plays a single game.

On one side ... you have a bloke that virtually dragged the game through Co-vid and became the blueprint for every other sporting code world-wide ... then as a follow up party trick, delivered a season where every single club returned a profit for the 1st time in history ... he takes a chainsaw to NRL spending and starts to reinvest profits to future proof the game ... and all the time increasing the funding to clubs ...

On the other hand you have a bloke trying to be relevant as voice of the players, fighting for freedom, and the right to be paid squillions ... and to tell the NRL how to run the game ..

I know whose side I'm on ....

Could be quite an interesting and even contentious matter how clubs may allocate or distribute any additional funds from any cap increase allocation . Whether there may be just a pro rata or uniform increase on all contracted player "s individual contracts or some type of separate arrangements where some players may receive a much higher proportion in their specific contracts . Just could not see how D C E or even Turbo for that matter would be entitled to much increased amounts , say a couple of hundred grand and where minimum or mid range contract players would be receiving much less in relative terms , Or worse still, jeopardizing the opportunity to re sign someone like Weekes or any other promising Manly juniors or being able to strengthen a couple of other positions in due course if helpful or quite necessary . .

It's when a season is abandoned / shutdown.

Basically, all the billionaire owners gather around and cry poor, saying they can't possibly afford to give out any more money.

All the players say that's b/s and point to the huge profits.

In come the lawyers.

And the season is abandoned.

the fans claim that hate hockey and their team, and won't watch any game ever again.
-lock out ends
-fans flock back to games.

If you'd like an example of how little the owners think of fans, after losing a whole season to a lock out, as an apology, the owner of the canucks offered $1 discount of soft-drinks only 1 per person, only on opening night.

"Lockout" comes from players being locked out of the stadiums, etc.
Similar thing happened in MLB (US baseball) last offseason, which meant that spring training (preseason) was delayed as the league dragged their heels on the CBA, however it was conveniently resolved right before the season started but caused a shorter preseason and a slight delay to the season starting - think this would be the worst case scenario, all sides in this do not have the financial might present in US sporting leagues to weather the impact of a meaningful impact to the season so its hard to imagine it won't be resolved.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4