NRL is a joke competition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I like a baseless conspiracy as much as the next bloke, but lets be realistic:
  • Storm have the best coach and best player
  • Rooters have the best Salary Cap management / understanding, and for the last 2 years have had the 2nd-best player / best halves combination
Not rocket science guys. Maybe they are officiated favourably in-game, and maybe it just seems that way.

Won't argue it has commercial convenience for them to succeed though - Melbourne to compete with AFL, and Rooters to capture the Sydney money / politics / endorsements most efficiently.

Having said that, I too despise those 2 teams due to the apparent white-glove treatment....but am trying to remain pragmatic.
If the Storm haven’t won over the majority of Melbourne by now,they never will.If the NRL are trying to “stage” the competition,you don’t think the Broncos last premiership would be 14 years ago and Parra 34 years ago?

Yeah 2013 GF was the biggest rort I’ve ever seen. I just couldn’t believe that. No one could.
I was at that game and it was such a weird feeling. Still to this day I’m questioning how we lost that game. Then when u watch on tv u see all the rort calls.

If the Storm haven’t won over the majority of Melbourne by now,they never will.If the NRL are trying to “stage” the competition,you don’t think the Broncos last premiership would be 14 years ago and Parra 34 years ago?
Seriously why bother with Melb? Leave them in the Sunshine Coast. I’m not even joking nobody gives a s$&@ about league in Melb.

Much as I don't like it, I don't think you can argue.

Doesn't mean I frickin' like it...
Won't argue with Bellyache-Smithy as the greatest...

Can't say the same about legitimate cap management, tpps, and nrl sponsorship and capital investments. I would have to be extremely naive to think everything is above board, and this is in fact a level playing field. Having said that, I still believe I should be on a beach somewhere drinking tequila all day

As somebody has already mentioned, Parramatta are just too crap to take advantage of the help they get and the Broncos get a dream run via the draw, every single year. How is this a conspiracy again? FMD, watch a Parramatta game as a casual observer and you will be shaking your head at the leg-ups they get.I get embarrassed for them. When the penalties are even, they mostly lose.

Last edited:
Speeding the game up with the 6 again call has widened the gap

Changing the rules constantly to suit TV has left players and clubs not knowing what type of player is needed to play.
One minute is big bodies, then mobile, then kicking game.

The NRL heirachy hasnt got a long term plan on how the game needs to look and thats a huge problem for the game and emerging players with eyes on the footy career

The lack of skilled playmakers, means the few capable player demand tooo much money, making depth at clubs very skinny and the product relying on hope

Good money, great life. Under the correct structures we should have a huge supply of young players wanting to be involved in the game but its not the case

Crappy pathways through poorly organised competitions in qld and NSW , where coin is very scarce doesnt help . The current money agreement where players take such a large chunk instead of reinvestment in the business is the knockout blow.

Superleague started the rot that never ended. Inflated salaries and egos was the start , and once they got a taste, its been hard to ween them off.

But going back is not what tv wants, so between tv and players the game is doomed i suspect

Even though I enjoyed the game 8-15 years ago with our success the game was more enjoyable in the early to mid 90s before Rupert stuck his nose in.
Now there is to much interference from people with vested interest.

Won't argue with Bellyache-Smithy as the greatest...

Can't say the same about legitimate cap management, tpps, and nrl sponsorship and capital investments. I would have to be extremely naive to think everything is above board, and this is in fact a level playing field. Having said that, I still believe I should be somewhere on a beach drinking tequila all day
Don't think many don't at least have a whiff of a rat with the Rooters champ, esp with the most recent example of the SBW saga - which simply reeks of special treatment at the least, but almost seems at the bottom-end of transgressions really.

Add to that the Burgess / Inglis 'medical' retirements, and how the NRL handled Manly with Matai/BrettS, and it points to a variance in standards at the least. Inglis taking on a new contract now at Warrington, and him 'looking ripped' is all NewsCorp reports is just complete BS - but it's NewsCorp so who the fk cares or reads that tripe.

It ain't gonna change mate as its the new norm, like it or loath it. Will fans desert the game because of it? Depends how overt it gets - and I don't deny the optics ain't great.

But it sounds like sour grapes without the explicit data, not just the overt optics we all think support our gut-feel.

Simply put, if we were still on the 70s-90s gravy train, we'd be serving the same 'harden the fk up' narrative.

Devil's advocate mate - but it's bitter as a raw lemon to see other teams take the mantle of club-preference from us, I won't deny.

• 👍
Reactions: bSw
Where were these threads when we made the finals 10 years in a row, including 2 premierships and 4 Grand Finals in 6 years? Or is it just more evident at the moment that our club has been poorly run since the end of 2014 season compared to others like the Roosters and the Storm.

I think it's more just sour grapes than anything. When the careers of the Stewart bros, Lyon, Matai, Choc etc were coming to an end, the club didn't handle things the best they could have, and unfortunately we're behind the 8-ball because of it.

We panicked and gave DCE a $10M contract over 8 seasons, whilst forgetting to sign some quality in other positions and therefore been stuck with more plodders than most other clubs for the past few seasons, not to mention signing a rookie coach as a re-building stage was starting.

Last edited:
Where were these threads when we made the finals 10 years in a row, including 2 premierships and 4 Grand Finals in 6 years? Or is it just more evident at the moment that our club is currently poorly run compared to others like the Roosters and the Storm
Truth hurts, but its either this or we obscure our club shortcomings to ascribe to conspiracy theories.

Well said mate, as painful as it is to endorse. We haven't evolved with the game both on and off the field in a way the Rooters/Storm have. ]

This new 6-again rule is case in point. We have neither mastered it nor learned to capitalise on it in the most effective way.

Truth hurts, but its either this or we obscure our club shortcomings to ascribe to conspiracy theories.

Well said mate, as painful as it is to endorse. We haven't evolved with the game both on and off the field in a way the Rooters/Storm have. ]

This new 6-again rule is case in point. We have neither mastered it nor learned to capitalise on it in the most effective way.

And why would we ?

What type of Comp changes fundamental rules mid season? A Mickey Mouse asterisk comp.

Don't think many don't at least have a whiff of a rat with the Rooters champ, esp with the most recent example of the SBW saga - which simply reeks of special treatment at the least, but almost seems at the bottom-end of transgressions really.

Add to that the Burgess / Inglis 'medical' retirements, and how the NRL handled Manly with Matai/BrettS, and it points to a variance in standards at the least. Inglis taking on a new contract now at Warrington, and him 'looking ripped' is all NewsCorp reports is just complete BS - but it's NewsCorp so who the fk cares or reads that tripe.

It ain't gonna change mate as its the new norm, like it or loath it. Will fans desert the game because of it? Depends how overt it gets - and I don't deny the optics ain't great.

But it sounds like sour grapes without the explicit data, not just the overt optics we all think support our gut-feel.

Simply put, if we were still on the 70s-90s gravy train, we'd be serving the same 'harden the fk up' narrative.

Devil's advocate mate - but it's bitter as a raw lemon to see other teams take the mantle of club-preference from us, I won't deny.
Agree to disagree. Definitely more than just conspiracy, and hardly call bringing in SBW into an injury hit roosters team 4 weeks before a finals series so blatantly, a minor transgression. But yes, such is life...

What type of Comp changes fundamental rules mid season? A Mickey Mouse asterisk comp.
If - as I suspect - it is here to stay, then we need to adjust - like it or lump it.

Won't deny it, based on what I have seen the 6-again seems unpredictable and subjective, and leaves an avenue open to Refs to completely exploit the game-flow. Often I hear that 6-again whistle and think 'what was that for??'

The well-managed teams seemed to have made the transition in a way that has seen an identical top-8 to last year - minus us (the Knights took our spot, we lost to them twice by 2 pts and if we had won, would be 1 point above them in the 8).

Definitely more than just conspiracy, and hardly call bringing in SBW into an injury hit roosters team 4 weeks before a finals series so blatantly, a minor transgression.
The transgression seems minor - For them and them alone. SBW is seen as a 'fringe player' for them causing headaches with team selection - a team who are apparently 300k below the salary cap mind you, and without injuries he is now a 'selection nightmare' for Robinson. Yeah we all buy that don't we.

I get it. 3 titles in a row would almost ice it and kill my ability to justify any opposing rationale to this - but just remember Scam needs to retire soon and it will only be done with a trophy

I like a baseless conspiracy as much as the next bloke, but lets be realistic:
  • Storm have the best coach and best player
  • Rooters have the best Salary Cap management / understanding, and for the last 2 years have had the 2nd-best player / best halves combination
Not rocket science guys. Maybe they are officiated favourably in-game, and maybe it just seems that way.

Won't argue it has commercial convenience for them to succeed though - Melbourne to compete with AFL, and Rooters to capture the Sydney money / politics / endorsements most efficiently.

Having said that, I too despise those 2 teams due to the apparent white-glove treatment....but am trying to remain pragmatic.
Tell me you‘re joking....please! :oops:

Last edited:
Im not a big fan of the touch footy 6 again rule. Much preferred the game prior to the rule changes. We complained about the wrestling and the nrl decided the 6 again touch footy tap and go was the answer to eliminate it. The game is way to quick and unfortunately more injuries will happen in the future. Anyways the Rorters are playing on a different cap by signing anyone pre or mid season and its getting quiet ridiculous how uneven the comp has been over the last few years.
I'm sure more and more people will stop following the game in the future because it's so uneven and touch footy boring.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4