NRL admit ONE grand final referee blunder

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Archer also announced a change that allows the video referees to switch a scrum feed if via a replay he deems the on-field official has made a mistake.

The Sydney Roosters were mistakenly awarded a scrum feed in last year's grand final from a Manly kick despite Michael Jennings playing at and touching the ball with his foot.

But fans won't see a return to the frustrating rule that allowed the TV official to review incidents at will.

"It's not like we had in '08 when you could check the strip, this only relates to loose and feed at a scrum," Archer said.

NRL Head of Football Todd Greenberg also announced the introduction of a range of measures designed to improve refereeing standards.

"We must ensure the preparation and professionalism of our match officials are in line with our players," Greenberg said.

"We are now using for the very first time performance analysis to make our referees more accountable and to make them better referees.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cannonballers-could-be-marched-archer-20140227-33lx6.html

So some other team will get ripped off by Mitchell Pearce stripping the ball and Jamie Buhrer will still be penalised when the Roosters drop the ball in a tackle.

Well done NRL. Well done.

One down, 26 incidents to go :mad:

What is the job description of a Touch Referee?
It was his mistake, as the ball literally changed direction from Killer's boot. Must have thought that the GF was one of the 'magic' rounds :dodgy:

Along with Pearce's knock on, magically appearing to go backwards for The Echidna :mad:

I'm still to watch a replay, I was there and saw it live....and that's enough for me.

I have never watched a replay of the 97 GF, and will probably never watch a replay of the 2013 one either.

I have them all on DVD but find it too traumatic to watch the ones we lost.

I've only missed the 1972 GF (attending them), been to every one since.....hated the 80's (apart from 87), hated the 90's (apart from 96).

I could live with 2007.....great to be there but in reality it was probably a year too early.....2008 was better.....MUCH

The 2013 GF was the worst reffing display I think I have ever seen, we talked about it all last year saying that " won't it be a shame if a team gets done in a GF that way"

Well it happened and it was us.

I'll probably never get over it.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I'm still to watch a replay, I was there and saw it live....and that's enough for me.

I have never watched a replay of the 97 GF, and will probably never watch a replay of the 2013 one either.

I have them all on DVD but find it too traumatic to watch the ones we lost.

I've only missed the 1972 GF (attending them), been to every one since.....hated the 80's (apart from 87), hated the 90's (apart from 96).

I could live with 2007.....great to be there but in reality it was probably a year too early.....2008 was better.....MUCH

The 2013 GF was the worst reffing display I think I have ever seen, we talked about it all last year saying that " won't it be a shame if a team gets done in a GF that way"

Well it happened and it was us.

I'll probably never get over it.

Amen brother

"We must ensure the preparation and professionalism of our match officials are in line with our players," Greenberg said.

"We are now using for the very first time performance analysis to make our referees more accountable and to make them better referees.

Referees need to be made more accountable right then and there, on game day. If they make a call against a team that the team believes is wrong (lets say the Jennings incident) Lyon, as captain, should've been able to question the Ref, get the video ref involved and have the ruling reversed.

Sure, this will slow the game down a couple of minutes while it is reviewed on the spot, but it would make the refs far more accountable for their actions and decisions. As it stands now, if a captain, the crowd and all the fans watching on TV can see the ref has made a mistake, it means nothing. The captain approaches the ref and is told in no uncertain terms to "go away". Even when it is blatantly obvious to everyone that the ref has stuffed up!

Coming out and admitting an error has occurred during the following week means nothing to the team that has lost a game due to ineptness by an official. It leaves you feeling robbed!

Make them prove their decision is right when they make it, and if they can't, they should be professional enough to reverse the decision straight away. To have a game officiated in total fairness is good for the NRL, the clubs and the fans, the people who enjoy a flutter on the results, everyone.

Refs will always make mistakes, it's human nature to stuff up occasionally, but decisions can be sorted out quickly and easily if they involve the video ref. If they can't get a definitive angle to see for certain what has occurred, then go with the refs initial decision. Simples.

The reason we lost the Grand Final was Haynes refereeing. We were leading by 10 with 25 minutes to go despite all the dubious decisions against us.
Hayne just upped the ante in the final 25 to ensure we would'nt win.
There was no blunder, he did the job he was paid to do and earned his thirty pieces of silver......wonder what he'll spend the money on, hope it's a field... (The Acts of the Apostles says that Judas used the money to buy a field, but fell headfirst, and burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. This field is called Akeldama or Field of Blood.)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6