Now we have 17, where do we put the 18th

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
You can sense they’ll go to 18 sides within a few years after the Finns come into play , so maybe 2025.

To me the glaring option is Perth.

Now bear with me.

Not because it’s a league heartland ( it’s not ) but for two reasons.

1) it gives credibility to the “ National” tag

2) with them being 2 hours behind the potential extra live game every 2 weeks.

Super Saturday could become extra super with 3.30pm / 5.30pm / 7.30pm / 9.30pm ( 7.30pm in Perth ) all live.

Channel 9 might take a game to display live on a Saturday night.

Or on Sunday we get 2pm ,4pm, 6pm & 8pm all live.

Despite Brisbane needing a team in the west I reckon this is the way they’ll go.

What do you reckon ??

Mark, you were talking of a massive sponsorship deal worth millions over a decade to have a team in Ipswich west of Brissie, if they are still keen on this, you would think Ipswich would get the nod. The NRL will like the thought of not outlaying any set up money to get the Ipswich side up and running. Although Perth doesn't sound that weird also tbh.

A 2nd team in NZ is a long way off. Christchurch is where it would be based and I think it would struggle. They still don’t have a decent stadium yet 10 years after the 2nd quake, I just can’t see it happening and I’m a Kiwi. Perth is the obvious next move from a Tv perspective and a national competition perspective also. Since they have put a team in a heartland area this time the next one should be a expansion of the competition in national terms for the game itself.

Mark, you were talking of a massive sponsorship deal worth millions over a decade to have a team in Ipswich west of Brissie, if they are still keen on this, you would think Ipswich would get the nod. The NRL will like the thought of not outlaying any set up money to get the Ipswich side up and running. Although Perth doesn't sound that weird also tbh.
Yes that’s what they came out and said this week.

From a financial perspective they’d need less funding from the NRL but as I say that time difference does have its as advantages.

A 2nd team in NZ is a long way off. Christchurch is where it would be based and I think it would struggle. They still don’t have a decent stadium yet 10 years after the 2nd quake, I just can’t see it happening and I’m a Kiwi. Perth is the obvious next move from a Tv perspective and a national competition perspective also. Since they have put a team in a heartland area this time the next one should be a expansion of the competition in national terms for the game itself.
Thinking more so Wellington on playing strength perspective Perth bring more money bur no juniors and expensive on flights

Thinking more so Wellington on playing strength perspective Perth bring more money bur no juniors and expensive on flights
Wellington is even smaller than Christchurch population wise and has a Super Rugby team plus a A League team. I don’t think it can support a 3rd team, Christchurch only has a Super Rugby team which is the most successful by far in the history of that comp and it struggles to get 20,000 to games.

Perth for the East Coast expats/fifos. Real WAers give less of a sh1t about league than Mexicans.

Edit: would love a South Island team, personally would prefer it to Perth, but that is not gonna happen.

If the NRL was serious about actually expanding the game rather than just adding teams for the extra broadcast revenue, then they must look to having another team outside of Qld or NSW.

Make the N in National Rugby League actually mean National.

Perth, Adelaide, somewhere in NZ that isn't Auckland, Darwin. Anywhere but another team in Queensland or NSW.

Honestly, at this stage I would say Perth.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4