Now or Then ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Just a little poser.

Went to a sports game the other night, team got a win, played average, and i walked out disappointed and feeling annoyed about the game. even though we won.

Anyhow i am walking out and there is a fella with a mental disability. he couldnt give a toss about the quality of the game, he was bloody excited to get the win, and was letting everyone know it was the highlight of his night, and was telling everyone what they were going to do to the next opponent.

To move it into a footy context

It got me too thinking, back to the pre internet days, when i was younger, i didnt care how we won, but a win was exciting and the be all and end all, and the analysing didn't matter

Compare that to these days, got a win against Brisbane the other night, felt no excitement, flat, and a bit of disappointment, and can go into the great world of over analysing things on the net

Now to the poser, what days were the best as a fan ?

Probably has to be the 1st one for me, although the net part of number 2 is great

I have to say that I lost a lot of interest and passion for my team during the post SL and Beagle days.

It was re-ignited by discovering the forums. I also enjoy being able to access a Manly game every week. Remember the days when only 2-3 games were televised each week (and sometimes it was that awful one hour of highlights at 6.30pm on Channel 10)!

Everything was more exciting as a kid but to appreciate things in a more intricate way is a lot more satisfying. I must say I get the most out of a game if I can see it both live & on TV, so I guess I really like to know everything I can.
Like anything, the truest pleasures are in the subtleties.

As a child, you don't know the intricacies of things. So you watch a game of football and its just that. A game of footy. Its almost beyond your comprehension that anything else goes on in the mean time.

However, when you grow older and get wiser its just in your nature to look into things more. So, when you see your team win, you have that maturity and ability to analise the situation and see the short comings in a good thing for the sake of improvement. Its just like growing and learning.

When your an adult, its no longer a win. Its how good was the win, how can it be better. You invest so much time and thought into something, whether you are part of it or not, it demands perfection.

Oh, how I wish to be young and mentally disabled again.

As a kid I lived for the ABC broadcast and didn't move from the radio on a Sunday arvo.

Now that I live in Sydney I can't get over the excitement of going out to Brookie on a Sunday arvo and seeing the Eagles flog the opposition.

The winfield cup was the greatest time for Rugby League in my opinion... i was only a little bloke but that's the time I look back on with great memories.

I still love a Manly win.... sometimes I find coming on to a Manly forum after a win can take the gloss off it...

I lost a bit of interest during the SL days too but all in all my enjoyment is still quite high.

I remember Sunday arvos by the radio CW. As the points came in from around the ground all that mattered was that Manly was in front and the nearest teams to us were losing.

I actually miss the Saturday afternoon games. Watching the footie on the ABC and the races on the radio was near heaven.

I would say the winfield cup days

I remember many a time sitting with my dad fishing smewhere around the tras and having the radio on in the background listening to the around the ground scores of manly.
Those were the days

The saturday arvo ABC teleast was always a favourite of mine too

How about Tina Turner singing at the Grand Finals. Simply the Best!

And then my disappointment one year when Jimmy Barnes sang it.

Like Nutz & Dan, the Winfield cup days are a big memory for me.

Mainly because thats when the old man and I would sit down to watch and he would educate me on important footy playing issues.

He would then inform me of who were wankers and who were respectable footy personalities in the sport.

Windfield cup days were good, but I hardly ever went to games then. Just listened on the radio and the many sunday games on 9.

Back in those years Manly was generally in the top 4 so it there were many good times.

I remember the final when Cliffy did his spleen or something like that and michael handcock came up and didn't ask how he was going, he just grabbed the ball and scored and won the final. What a douch bag.

Never liked him from that day on.

I feel so happy for some of the disabled people who sit near the benches at brookie oval.

There whole life is Manly, and it really does make their week if the team gets up -- regardless of how they do it.

That's what footy is about.

back in the early 90's when pepsi was our sponsor they were bringing around mountain dew samples before it was realeased in Aus. Highlight of the year.

Says it all really

Yeah CIG i agree, when i was doing the petition thing i spoke to a few of them and it was all manly manly manly

I feel so happy for some of the disabled people who sit near the benches at brookie oval.

There whole life is Manly, and it really does make their week if the team gets up -- regardless of how they do it.

Is that the Rockers CIG?

[quote author=CliffyIsGod]

Is that the Rockers CIG?

[/quote]

No -- these guys are much more intelligent than the Rockers.

I was a fan of the Winfield Cup days. Always scanned the TV coverage to see if manly got a ABC sat game or Sunday game or listened on radio- used to tune in half an hour before and remember hanging over the radio waiting for around the grounds when I was a kid.
I also remember if we started to lose I would go out the front have a couple of decent kicks of the footy do a little chip and chase and pray the eagles would be winning when I went back in- sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't -but it was worth a try.

I was a fan of the Winfield Cup days. Always scanned the TV coverage to see if manly got a ABC sat game or Sunday game or listened on radio- used to tune in half an hour before and remember hanging over the radio waiting for around the grounds when I was a kid.
I also remember if we started to lose I would go out the front have a couple of decent kicks of the footy do a little chip and chase and pray the eagles would be winning when I went back in- sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't -but it was worth a try.

:lol:

I did exactly the same. However my days were mid 90's. Go out in the backyard kick the footy around. Oh yeah and Manly score again!!!!

Lol how funny I use to do the same on the front lawn

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4