Not a bad winning streak !!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
League lover's winning streak maxes out TAB
MICHELLE DUFF Last updated 05:00 16/04/2013

The rugby league aficionado, who calls the Courtenay Place TAB ahead of his visits so they can prepare his private room, won the maximum $250,000 from a $5000 multibet on the NRL in late March.

He took almost exactly the same bet on Friday to win another $250,000 - along with a further $180,000 on a slightly different wager.

Following last month's successful formula, he picked the favourite to win in each of the eight NRL sixth-round games.

He placed the bets at the Courtenay Place TAB, where staff know him so well they prepare him coffee while handling his bets in a discreet back room.

Operator Vani Bradshaw said the man, who did not want to be identified, visited every fortnight to gamble between $5000 and $10,000 on rugby league.

He was known to study players' form and never missed a match report, often browsing the newspaper in the TAB as he made his choices.

He never bet on anything other than league, and was a "nice, talkative gentleman", Ms Bradshaw said.

Betting on the favourites is not generally considered a path to riches in the NRL, a competition in which upsets are common. The league has player salary caps to ensure talent is spread around the 16 teams.

In one of last weekend's fixtures, favourites St George Illawarra needed a field goal two minutes from time to beat the Wests Tigers 13-12.

While backing favourites was not a high-risk strategy - setting this gambler apart from notorious Kiwi punter Graham "Steel Balls" Bruton - risking such big amounts on a multibet certainly was, TAB communications manager John Mitchell said.

"It's very unusual for someone to pick eight results in the NRL and all those choices to be based on the favourites winning. It's absolutely bizarre how it's all come together in this guy's favour.

"He's maxed us out. It's unbelievable - he's taken us for close to three-quarters of a million over the course of a month."

The $250,000 return equals the biggest single return on a sports bet in TAB history, and the biggest on a rugby league multibet.

Never has so much been won in consecutive bets over such a short time frame.

HOW TO WIN $680,000

Wellington's mystery gambler started with $5000 in March, betting that the TAB's favourites in each of the eight NRL second-round games would win.

On March 19 he won his first $250,000, when the South Sydney Rabbitohs beat the Cronulla Sharks in Sydney and his multibet paid off.

Last Friday, he gambled $8300 on the NRL sixth-round games, again betting on the eight favourites.

He also took a $10,000 wager on seven favourites, while picking the North Queensland Cowboys to come within 12.5 points of the Brisbane Broncos.

When both his multibets came in, he won $250,000 on the first and $180,000 on the second - giving him $680,000.

- © Fairfax NZ News

These guys are often mathematics genius, not to say this guy is.

I have a mate from Tassie who was lecturing Maths at Uni down there who ditched it to punt at the trots mainly, but also on sports like golf, tennis and afl.

I would love to know the above's background, there are just so many people betting professionally these days, its amazing.

There has been a thought that we should start a punters club here on Silvertails where we all put in say $10 and go from there, articles like this make me want to do it

bob dylan said:
These guys are often mathematics genius, not to say this guy is.

I have a mate from Tassie who was lecturing Maths at Uni down there who ditched it to punt at the trots mainly, but also on sports like golf, tennis and afl.

I would love to know the above's background, there are just so many people betting professionally these days, its amazing.

Now that betting has really taken off across so many aspects of each contest, it's harder now to study and isolate a near-guarantee return.

Going back about 15 years ago, a couple of blokes in the US got the idea to check out hole-in-one history in major tournaments and found that there was an average of more than one per tournament.

They approached bookies armed with this insight and found that they were offered very juicy odds against it, simply because the bookies hadn't done any homework to realise how common they were.

The guys cleaned up on a heap of forward bets to cover the years golf calender and the bookies realised too late they'd been stung.

Since reading about it I took an interest in how often we saw a hole-in-one highlight from the majors and sure enough, they were definitely a fairly common event.

notorious Kiwi punter Graham "Steel Balls" Bruton

Is this you KE ??

I love these punter done good stories.....LOL. For every dollar these guys win there has been an equivalent loss by other suckers (in this case $680K of suckerness). The TAB operates as a totaliser and carries no risk of loss on any event.

Daniel said:
There has been a thought that we should start a punters club here on Silvertails where we all put in say $10 and go from there, articles like this make me want to do it
Why not

Chip and Chase said:

Is this you KE ??

I love these punter done good stories.....LOL. For every dollar these guys win there has been an equivalent loss by other suckers (in this case $680K of suckerness). The TAB operates as a totaliser and carries no risk of loss on any event.

Na mate I was Golden Balls ;)

Chip and Chase said:

Is this you KE ??

not on Sports betting or any fixed odds betting they don't. The TAB acts as a bookmaker in these instances.

Chip and Chase said:

Is this you KE ??

And every one of those punters - without exception - imagines they will beat the odds. Imagining themselves as the hero in promoted stories like this one.

If only the odds weren't so heavily stacked against punters there'd be lots more stories to promote. Be interesting to see where this guy is in five years time.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6