Nominations for Manly's greatest coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader

Who do we include?

Coach of first ever Premierships Ron Willey.

Coach of Premierships in late 70s Frank Stanton.

Coach of 87 and 96 team plus many other good seasons Bob Fulton.

Any other nominations at all????

got to be Bozo surely.

Great Manly and Aussie coach

I suppose you can nominate nearly all of them,

Surely you do not mean including Peter Sharp and Allan Thompson!!!!!!! That would be a farce.

Whatever your thoughts on Hasler are he has taken us from cellar dwellers to what would seem our second successive final series with the possibility of a top 4 finish.

With all the kudos handed to Tim Sheens last year (& rightly so I might add) his team this year has been a shadow of what it was. I know I lot of this is due to injuries but we too have suffered the loss of key players at varying times through the season yet we have performed consistently enough to remain in the Top 8 for most of the season.

Whilst I certainly am not advocating for Hasler's inclusion within this poll he has been a key feature of our continuing imprevement of the past few seasons.

He probably won't win it and I don't remember those days but Ken Arthurson did ok. He coached Manly's third grade team in 1954 and reserve grade in 1955-56. He was first grade coach from 1957 to 1961, making the semi finals every year and the grand final in 1957 and 1959.
1957 - second, 1958 -fourth, 1959 - second, 1960 - sixth, 1961 - fourth. Days when we just couldn't compete on the market with St George. Well done Arko!

Ron Willey is really the one that set the tone for Manly's greatness from the 70s onwards and was coach in '62 and '70 to '74 with 2 premierships, only matched by Stanton.

Wally O'Connell performed stellar deeds as a coach taking us to our first grad final in 1951 and again in the 1960s taking us to the top of the comp. he was credited by Arko as providing the structure and drive that led to 4 premierships in the 1970s.

Definitely not Bozo, he had the players to win seven titles but squandered the chances. Great player but so-so coach. Ron Willey or Arko for mine.

Good point DSM, for the record I will be voting for Ron Willey

[quote author=byso]
Dasler :)

Whatever your thoughts on Hasler are he has taken us from cellar dwellers to what would seem our second successive final series with the possibility of a top 4 finish.

With all the kudos handed to Tim Sheens last year (& rightly so I might add) his team this year has been a shadow of what it was. I know I lot of this is due to injuries but we too have suffered the loss of key players at varying times through the season yet we have performed consistently enough to remain in the Top 8 for most of the season.

Whilst I certainly am not advocating for Hasler's inclusion within this poll he has been a key feature of our continuing imprevement of the past few seasons.
[/quote]
great post pete

i wanna see byso make smart arse comments about des if we do happen to win the comp.

[quote author=byso]
Dasler :)

[/quote]

Agreed..... but byso will prolly let you know that Bk plays, coaches, runs the water, massages the players after the game, cuts the oranges, runs the training drills, selects the team, makes the interchanges, pleasures mrs hasler etc etc :)

haha too funny, I only typed one predictable word and look at the responses. Gold.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4