No names bust the salary cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
FIVE clubs, possibly six, will today be fined for breaching last year's NRL salary cap.

One club confirmed as breaking the $3.36million cap is the battling Canberra Raiders - a result, claims Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins, of "financial complications".

These included incentive payments to representative players like Adam Mogg and a deal over final payments to rugby-bound Clinton Schifcofske.

"We've had some issues with (NRL salary cap auditor) Ian Schubert," Hawkins said. "We don't know by how much we have breached (the cap). It's complicated. We have argued with the NRL - they agreed on some points and disagreed on others."

There was speculation last night Melbourne Storm, Brisbane and South Sydney were also looking at fines for breaches.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said no club had openly flouted the salary cap rules.

"The board will (today) consider the report from the 2006 audit," Gallop said. "We expect a number of clubs to be fined, but there is no evidence of systematic cheating with any of the clubs.

In other news, Canberra last night axed Steve Irwin just hours after wayward star Todd Carney commenced rehabilitation which include an alcohol ban.

The pair landed in trouble after Carney, 20 and suspended from driving until 2012, allegedly led ACT police on a pursuit while driving Irwin's car.

It had been thought Irwin would stay and Carney would be sacked - especially as Carney was charged after the incident and Irwin wasn't.

But despite that, the injured flanker was yesterday shown the door before playing a game for the club.

Hawkins has revealed the incident was not Irwin's first indiscretion since arriving in Canberra.

The club also offered the former Bronco a chance to play with its Brisbane feeder club, the South Logan Magpies.

It was knocked back.

Hawkins has conceded officials could be accused of "double standards" over Irwin's sacking.

"It probably is a case of treating people differently and that could be perceived as double standards," Hawkins said.

"We have our reasons for doing what we have done."

In deciding to throw Carney a third lifeline, the Raiders have maintained their investment in the local junior was crucial.

The storm and Brisbane.

No surprises there.

Time to dock points off any team exceeeding the cap because it is cheating How can Melbourne sign Cllit Newton when they are already over the cap?

I doubt that the knights would be paying his salary for the rest of the year.

This was last years cap.

Although its interesting that both grand finalists are offenders.

there were 3 clubs that have never been fined for breaching the salary cap, manly, souths and the raiders

Time to dock points off any team exceeeding the cap because it is cheating How can Melbourne sign Cllit Newton when they are already over the cap?

I agree tookey, dock points - i think may the really harsh way to punish. The warriors were docked points last year for breaches made the previous year. This has to be used as a prescedent, time to quit pissing around with these cheats!!

Speaking of canberra being in trouble.

I was watching sports tonight last night and they said Steve Irwin has been stood down from the club but Todd Carney will stay with the club but be disciplined.

Steve irwin was in the passenger seat!!!

What a joke Nutz.

You either get rid of both of them or discipline 'both' of them.

To let him go after not even being the biggest offender reaks of double standards and if I were Irwin I would be seeing if I have a case against the club for that reason.

What a joke Nutz.

You either get rid of both of them or discipline 'both' of them.

To let him go after not even being the biggest offender reaks of double standards and if I were Irwin I would be seeing if I have a case against the club for that reason.

I find those sort of comments as the reason why Australia is becoming too much like America. Yeah, it's a joke and unfair but isn't the Aussie way to cop it on the chin and don't sulk about it??

I was talking with my mum the other day and she said she nearly slipped over a lettuce leaf at the shopping centre the other day.. the first thing she said was "I could have sued them" I said to her "I don't like the direction Australians are heading, remarks like that are becoming far too common"

But sometimes you shouldn't just cop it on the chin.

I'm not talking about slipping on a lettuce leaf in a supermarket nutz.

He has been fired from his job while the main offender in the situation has kept his because he is a 'better player'.

You don't just cop that on the chin.

Nutz. C'mon. I believe in taking it on the chin (not in the same way as Byso) but lets look at it this way. I assume in your job you have worked with an offsider, anyway lets just say that you have.

Your offside makes a huge mistake, cuts a fibre optic cable and creates a huge ****up. Everyone knows he did it, but you get the sack and he gets reprimanded. Not really fair mate.

The club are saying that its not his first indescretion. I dont buy that, because its not Carneys first either.

Yeah ok, I'll conceed that is probably not a case where he should cop it on the chin.... but I do think too many people jump straight onto the sue/Law suit wagon too quickly... But i'll admit I was probably wrong in this instance.

I agree with you there nutz. I can't stand the sue mentality but this case reeks of double standards and he just can't sit by and watch himself screwed over so his club don't have to face up to their salary cap problems.

Im not sure what position he plays.

The thing is, the raiders club said he was sacked because it wasn't his first offense.

Irwin had been out injured and was told by Canberra that he had to make his way back by playing via a stint in the Queensland Cup with feeder club Souths Logan. That is just crap and the double standard is garbage.

Carney should be flipping burgers.

Neither player should be copping crap from Canberra unless they go to gaol and only then because it means they're failing to turn up for work. If that's the case it's breach of contract & you fire them. If they really want Carney, sign him up when he gets released.
Other than that, look after your mates & associates.

I was watching sports tonight last night and they said Steve Irwin has been stood down from the club but Todd Carney will stay with the club but be disciplined.

Steve irwin was in the passenger seat!!!

Crikey!

Carney should be in jail for digging up a dead bloke and driving around with him in the passenger seat of his car. Sick bastard.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4