No more Ex Manly coaches left.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

conanu

Bencher
Some people and I have been one of them are happy to shift Barrett on and I hear a lot of people saying, we need an ex manly player as a coach. I was saying it myself right up until Des and Cleary signed new contracts, but I see a problem with that now is that we are fast running out of ex Manly players joining the coaching ranks. We shafted the last potentially successful Manly coach in Toovey and nobody from our last 20 successful years apart from Des and Cleary to a lesser extent have taken to coaching. Apart from John Hopoate (Banned by NRL), Luke Williamson (shocking NSW cup stats), Chad Randall and even poor old Kitey only managed 5 wins from 22 starts with Windsor Wolves in the Ron Massey cup last year. I really cant see where the next successful ex player Manly coach will come from. Maybe Scott Fulton?? (joking). I would like Kevin Walters but even he is untried at NRL level, however he has studied under the best and knows what it takes to win a comp. Other than that throw the leagues club at Cameron Smith he will make an amazing coach one day (even though I hate him). So the reality is we need to stick with Barrett for at least the rest of his contract as there is no obvious talent available in the coaching ranks now anyway. Unfortunately the mediocre and un-successful teams like St George have produced more coaches than the successful Manly teams of the same era. Jason Taylor played for the Northern Eagles does that count??

Just as a side note: How great is it that there is 3 of our teams in the Sydney Shield. Belrose Eagles, Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles and the East Cambelltown Eagles. 3 Eagles in one comp, 3 chances to win!!!

Last edited:
Some people and I have been one of them are happy to shift Barrett on and I hear a lot of people saying, we need an ex manly player as a coach. I was saying it myself right up until Des and Cleary signed new contracts, but I see a problem with that now is that we are fast running out of ex Manly players joining the coaching ranks. We shafted the last potentially successful Manly coach in Toovey and nobody from our last 20 successful years apart from Des and Cleary to a lesser extent have taken to coaching. Apart from John Hopoate (Banned by NRL), Luke Williamson (shocking NSW cup stats), Chad Randall and even poor old Kitey only managed 5 wins from 22 starts with Windsor Wolves in the Ron Massey cup last year. I really cant see where the next successful ex player Manly coach will come from. Maybe Scott Fulton?? (joking). I would like Kevin Walters but even he is untried at NRL level, however he has studied under the best and knows what it takes to win a comp. Other than that throw the leagues club at Cameron Smith he will make an amazing coach one day (even though I hate him). So the reality is we need to stick with Barrett for at least the rest of his contract as there is no obvious talent available in the coaching ranks now anyway. Unfortunately the mediocre and un-successful teams like St George have produced more coaches than the successful Manly teams of the same era. Jason Taylor played for the Northern Eagles does that count??

Just as a side note: How great is it that there is 3 of our teams in the Sydney Shield. Belrose Eagles, Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles and the East Cambelltown Eagles. 3 Eagles in one comp, 3 chances to win!!!
Walters doesn't strike me as the most intelligent and inspiring coach...he strikes me as very bland.

I think Cronk would also make a good coach one day. It wouldn't surprise me to see him and Cam Smith in the coaching ranks down the track. It will be a few years away yet though I imagine.

I know they're not ex Manly, however I'd love to have Brandy Alexander as our coach.......followed by Tim Sheens!!! Brandy has one hell of a rugby league brain as has Sheens.

Cliff Lyons coached Narraweena to consecutive premierships in the Manly A-Grade competition in 2010 and 2011. He then moved up to the NSW Cup and first season in they ran 6th. Then next season he was replaced by Willo. Could Lyons step up to NRL level?

Mal Reilly might saddle up.
Or Bradford's coach in waiting.
Love Reilly to come in and toughen up the place. :nod:

Baz is OK, he almost kicked that esky at half time last week >:)

The Doors are on notice, unless The Doorman beats him to it :giggle:

I think we need Alfie to organize our defense, like he directs the Broncos @:cool:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4