No more brainsnaps: Matai's style counsel -- Manly Daily

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

John Greco

20Jul07

FORMER Manly halfback Geoff Toovey last night admitted Steve Matai must cut the ``brainsnaps'' out of his game but doesn't want the Kiwi international to change his aggressive nature.

The fiery Sea Eagles centre will line up against the Sharks at Toyota Park tonight after he escaped a headbutting charge at the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night.

Manly's lawyer Geoff Bellew QC successfully argued the 22-year-old didn't intentionally make contact with the Tigers' Chris Heighington's head.

The outcome is a massive boost for the 22-year-old who is just starting find some rhythm to what's been a largely disjointed season.

And while Matai's confrontational style can land him in hot water with referees, Toovey said the Auckland-born international needed to continue the type of aggressive play that's made him one of the NRL's most damaging centres.

``That's just his style,'' Toovey told the Daily last night.

``Steve's got an aggressive style and he knows there's a fine line. I don't see there being any problem. He might need to stop the odd brain snap but as long as he doesn't step over that line there's no worries.''

Manly CEO Grant Mayer added: ``I don't think we have to particularly look at (Matai's playing style), he was found not guilty so there is no need to do that.

``(But) it will be part of the process that the coaching staff go through, looking at his game and the way he plays.

``We don't think he is overly aggressive and he certainly plays the game the way it should be played.''

A player who knows all about aggression, former Manly prop Mark Carroll, implored Matai to maintain the rage. Carroll said the way Matai played was an integral part of the Sea Eagles success.

``He's like having an extra forward in the team,'' Carroll said. ``When the forwards are bashing people in the middle it's great to have guys who can bash people out wide.''

Matai's inclusion for the Sea Eagles tonight is a huge bonus with fellow centre Steve Bell no certainty to play due to a corked thigh. Second-rower Anthony Watmough (ankle) is also expected to lineup for Manly with Travis Burns likely to come off the five-man bench.

\"We don't think he is overly aggressive and he certainly plays the game the way it should be played.''
We also don't think Brett Stewart is overly fast or Steve Menzies is overly loyal. :lol:

I almost posted in this thread earlier, but hey - the truth is out there for all to see.

He was a mixed bag again. 1 bad read, 1 bad pass, but the rest of his game was reasonable, mainly with the ball in hand

I didn't realise he can kick goals. Why wasn't Lyon kicking in Orford's absence? Maybe he was injured as suggested in another thread.

tough to kick with a bung hamstring. Willo obviously hasn't been practising.

what matai was? lol..

I thought Hicks or Willow would have been chosen.. but ah well lucky it didnt haunt us.

I don't see why Hicks didn't kick. I asked Steve "since when have you been a kicker?" back at the club. He just laughed & avoided the question.
He was wobbly, but got the job done. Good on him. Another string to the bow as they say.
His aggression is vital to the way we play, we need a bit of mongrel.

Just had a quick look at some of the video, I don't think he was offside for that huge hit, also not long after that the Hall high tackle was 1 of the biggest jokes of a penalty i have seen all year

Just had a quick look at some of the video, I don't think he was offside for that huge hit, also not long after that the Hall high tackle was 1 of the biggest jokes of a penalty i have seen all year

Even the beaver penalty, he got penalised for not being square at marker, he then jogged sideways next to the player until he got back to the defensive line, then made the tackle and he ruled him offiside after making that effort.

Horrible game from Hayne.

The refereeing certainly was very poor. Pity really as it would have opened it up for us. My read is that Hayne wanted to assist the 'poor undermanned shire folk' who were always going to be rolled by the 'overconfident high rollers'. I guess is it was his way of compensating.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4