No Kick-offs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just another way to get more attention to the game. Totally ridiculous conversation.

I'm sure I read somewhere that over here they were trialling kicking off from the 40m line in the lower age groups in an effort to reduce the collision. Soccer has it's own problems with calls to remove heading the ball due to the fear that it causes dementia and mnd.
Just about every contact sport will be compromised in some way, rugby league is no different

I am no advocate of the suggested rule change however laws are continually changing and litigation is on the rise, see below regarding NFL.

The NFL changed the kickoff:

The changes were put in place because kickoffs were the most dangerous plays with the high-speed collisions contributing to concussions. The hope is the new rule will increase the number of returns without making it more dangerous as the new return will be more similar to a regular running play than the old version.

27TH of March 2024.

NFL owners have voted to end kickoffs as we know them. NFL kickoffs are set to look dramatically different next season. At the NFL's Annual League Meeting on Tuesday, team owners officially voted to approve a new kickoff format, adopting a system that was first seen in the XFL. The vote passed 29-3.

Hate to agree with Paul Kent but they are trying to kill the game… blokes sign-up to play the game, get paid handsomely and pay a price for doing so… you will never make it completely safe while we there is tackling and trying to do so will kill the product…
Just like boxing or mma, there is a price to pay and that needs to be part of the conversation - instead of constantly trying to water down the product until the blokes have tags on their hips…

I am no advocate of the suggested rule change however laws are continually changing and litigation is on the rise, see below regarding NFL.

The NFL changed the kickoff:

The changes were put in place because kickoffs were the most dangerous plays with the high-speed collisions contributing to concussions. The hope is the new rule will increase the number of returns without making it more dangerous as the new return will be more similar to a regular running play than the old version.

27TH of March 2024.

NFL owners have voted to end kickoffs as we know them. NFL kickoffs are set to look dramatically different next season. At the NFL's Annual League Meeting on Tuesday, team owners officially voted to approve a new kickoff format, adopting a system that was first seen in the XFL. The vote passed 29-3.
Actually the NFL are trying to bring back "the excitement of the kick off" (quote from the Instagram post from the NFL), so they are changing it back to more like it used to be. They had previously gotten rid of it which in my opinion is the biggest blight on the game of NFL. It's a total anti-climax and ruins the opening of the spectacle. They've recognised that and are trying to reintroduce it.

This will absolutely crucify the opening of our game and a critical part of our contest. It's just another nail in the long list of nails, in the coffin of NRL and of contact sports in general. It started a while ago with banning the shoulder charge and IMO that has DEFINITELY reduced the excitement of the game.

It's so obvious to see that the do-gooding D!CKHEADS out there are whittling away contact sports (even soccer as mentioned by someone above) until the time comes when they say no more contact sports at all - it's too unsafe. It's absolutely FUkCED!!! THEY ARE PLAYING A CONTACT SPORT!!! If you want to be safe sit in your fuken room and twiddle your thumbs.

These guys are playing of their own free will. Being paid VERY WELL!!! Dont' give me this CRAP about 'oh we have to move with the times - CTE blah blah'. Look at the ever increasing popularity of UFC! How does a sport designed to have two combatants bash the tripe out of each other, more often than not concuss each other, manage to get around the whole duty of care argument. Where are the statistics showing the instances of dementia etc are worse in sports people than in the general public anyway?

It's just a total croc of Sh1t designed to legitimise the banning of contact sport. And we as fans need to stand up to this constant attack on our sport, in any way we can. I'm so FUKEN pissed off at this sh!t!!😡😡😡

Actually the NFL are trying to bring back "the excitement of the kick off" (quote from the Instagram post from the NFL), so they are changing it back to more like it used to be. They had previously gotten rid of it which in my opinion is the biggest blight on the game of NFL. It's a total anti-climax and ruins the opening of the spectacle. They've recognised that and are trying to reintroduce it.
Wouldn't mind if they kept the kick off at the start of each half but found another way to restart after points.

Wouldn't mind if they kept the kick off at the start of each half but found another way to restart after points.
But when does it ever stop?? Where do we draw the line and say "no, no more change. Anymore change and we're no longer playing NRL"?? I heard someone say that the concussions from the kick off accounted for 3% of all concussions. OK, so what about the other 97%?? When do we start banning the things that cause them? It's a downward spiral and it WILL be the death of NRL and all contact sports. You can thank do-gooders and you can thank lawyers. And most significantly, you can thank a society obsessed with removing individual autonomy and individual responsibility.

But when does it ever stop?? Where do we draw the line and say "no, no more change. Anymore change and we're no longer playing NRL"?? I heard someone say that the concussions from the kick off accounted for 3% of all concussions. OK, so what about the other 97%?? When do we start banning the things that cause them? It's a downward spiral and it WILL be the death of NRL and all contact sports. You can thank do-gooders and you can thank lawyers. And most significantly, you can thank a society obsessed with removing individual autonomy and individual responsibility.
I am with you feathered friend
Too many Cooks spoil the Broth
and to many Cocks that make too many Changes will ruin our great game and what it stands for
1712272094935.png

So what’s the difference between not kicking off and taking a tap at the 20 mtr mark
A player will get a big run up the other player takes the tap passes to the big guy running as fast as he can the the opposing team come charging in the for tackle and then collision
OH wait there is no difference it’s a contact sport the players the fans all like the contact that’s what makes rugby league
It’s typical of the Nrl office let’s not see what really happens , Like when SOO comes around they show the collision, A rematch they show the fight , on and on The NRL is killing this great game

Wait… If they get rid of the kick-off, how are we going to know whether Manly are going to win or lose within the first five seconds of a game?

Seriously, this is a very dumb idea. The kick-off can set the tone and intensity of a match. It's part of the build up to a game, integral to the fans' level of excitement. Why take that away from us? If the first tackle of the game is policed in exactly the same way as the last tackle of the game, how can it be a problem?

So what’s the difference between not kicking off and taking a tap at the 20 mtr mark
A player will get a big run up the other player takes the tap passes to the big guy running as fast as he can the the opposing team come charging in the for tackle and then collision
OH wait there is no difference it’s a contact sport the players the fans all like the contact that’s what makes rugby league
It’s typical of the Nrl office let’s not see what really happens , Like when SOO comes around they show the collision, A rematch they show the fight , on and on The NRL is killing this great game
Horse racing has worked out (mostly) that if you keep trying to appease minorities that have no actual interest in your sport than you will end up killing interest for the people that DO care and DO invest in your sport…
NRL need to also make this leap and start defending our sport or we will be left with something that is not Rugby League…

A month ago in Vegas these same media outlets trumpeting how much the Yanks will love the contact and get to see real kick-offs again. You seriously have to wonder sometimes.

I don't think anyone inside the NRL is actually pushing for this. If there was real concern about players charging into collisions, you'd start by getting rid of the 10m rule and have a 5m rule.

What's next to scream about? Kick offs are a result of tries and goals being scored. Change the rules so tries and goals are banned. That will fix the kickoffs.

No wonder these media don't do columns on saving MMA athletes from injury risk.

Last edited:
The way they are going the game will be converted to Oztag.

League is at a cross roads and they are either going to kill the game off or make it thrive, but it seems they are more interested in killing it off.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8