No Excuses But Hear Me Out...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Line speed and dropping balls cold on a 1 up hit up play 10m out are not combination related.

These things are basic footy skills
Certainly a few issues there from U10's about ball security, especially in your red zone.....but I do believe these things do relate to energy & being off the pace of the game - in which the Dogs definately set the tempo last week, to the point where , the Dogs themselves were flat to start last nights game.
The thing is - with decent field position on the back of line speed - the Dogs last play option would not have had us snookered & ambushed, coming out of danger in awkward positions & again the reverse line speed as the Dogs defence was hammering the hapless attacker AS he caught the ball....or attempted to!!

No doubt Feliti Potato is on the outer and barring injury may not play again in FG.

Silly really BUT that epitomises the last 6 months so nothing much has changed.

Mateo has been in and out of first grade at three clubs yet people make out he is SBW and Brown getting picked ahead of him purely because of a grudge

People are so up and down on here, last year people were ripping into Mateo this year he is the answer

People were drooling over Vave in a meaningless trial now they mock Barrett for picking him

DCE is a god one week a directless mercenary the next

Myles is a pack leader one week has been the next

Snake is our best player but then everyone wants him gone for Trbojevic

Brown is a kiwi international who topped our tackle count, he is not the reason we lost

Deep breaths people

Mateo has been in and out of first grade at three clubs yet people make out he is SBW and Brown getting picked ahead of him purely because of a grudge

People are so up and down on here, last year people were ripping into Mateo this year he is the answer

People were drooling over Vave in a meaningless trial now they mock Barrett for picking him

DCE is a god one week a directless mercenary the next

Myles is a pack leader one week has been the next

Snake is our best player but then everyone wants him gone for Trbojevic

Brown is a kiwi international who topped our tackle count, he is not the reason we lost

Deep breaths people

You do not belong on here talking this way and actually making sense.

@maxta excellent analysis.

However I suggest that all the lack of combination problems, the scrambling defence outcomes, the missed tackles (huge) and the dropped balls were as a result of simply not having enough "weight" to stop them at or near the advantage line.

It was at this point all the issues you identified became apparent.

When the defence is going backwards there can be no speed of the line. Brown and green were simply incapable of stopping players, tackling them yes, but stopping them, no.

When that initial surge is made that is when the tip off to the 2nd player occurs and the need to scramble, rather than meet head on just gets worse.

The best combination in the Nrl is not going to be effective without some weight.

I unlike some believe, this is the sole reason for moving Jake T to lock. Too light for a prop, too good to leave off.

However I suggest that all the lack of combination problems, the scrambling defence outcomes, the missed tackles (huge) and the dropped balls were as a result of simply not having enough "weight" to stop them at or near the advantage line.

When the defence is going backwards there can be no speed of the line. Brown and green were simply incapable of stopping players, tackling them yes, but stopping them, no.

When that initial surge is made that is when the tip off to the 2nd player occurs and the need to scramble, rather than meet head on just gets worse.

The best combination in the Nrl is not going to be effective without some weight.

I unlike some believe, this is the sole reason for moving Jake T to lock. Too light for a prop, too good to leave off.
Hey Woodsie...cheers mate & liking your theories also...
To a degree the Dog pack will generally win the physical battle, however, against All physical sides, if a good kicking game & increase line speed consisting in numbers down THEIR red zone....even these big boys will lose potency...& tire....ensuring less vigour from their attack & a slower lazier defence to punch through....this didn't happen.

Hey Woodsie...cheers mate & liking your theories also...
To a degree the Dog pack will generally win the physical battle, however, against All physical sides, if a good kicking game & increase line speed consisting in numbers down THEIR red zone....even these big boys will lose potency...& tire....ensuring less vigour from their attack & a slower lazier defence to punch through....this didn't happen.

don't have a copy of the game to re-watch. Can you tell me how many tackles against big men DCE was forced to make in the first 15 min.

Probably wrong, but my impression is that he was almost nullified early.

Not sure the exact tackle numbers for DCE, but Dogs definitely hit those runners slightly wider targeting the edges, bending the line & winning the quick play & easy roll on.
Also done this with short tip ons to target these edge defenders, as you rightly picked out.
This is the Dogs pet play & hate to say it, On the back this platform & a freakish season from Barba, it almost won the Dogs the premiership in 2012 & use the same structures today.
Thing was , Bellamy had his Storm edge men rushing up & closed them down in that decider...often with 2-3 man overlaps, this also prevented that roll on they were used to, nullifying Barba who they rag dolled all day.
Dogs didn't read it or adjust & Bellamy beat Hasler that day.

Melb did it with Proctor and Hoffman in the 2nd row, we were never going to do it with Brown and green.

Manly's defense as age, a lack of forward depth along with the right kind of size and aggression is losing it's attacking defense abilities and is now more a sit back containment style---- without the slow down structures Melb have well drilled into them.

In a post last year from Ryan in relation to our squad i mentioned there are a few forwards back and front row i would release, too many clubman, toilers, softness and a general lack of raw rugged aggression/size for my liking.

Last edited:
The most sensible and appropriate thoughts on this forum all week right there.

On Feleti......If you saw him today in NSW Cup as I did, underwhelming is how I'd describe his performance.

He didn't look like he was too good for reggies. Truth be told.....the most impressive forward on the park was Alvaro for Wenty.

9th minute was the beginning of the end. The stripped ball by Perett that didn't even get looked at for a replay. We were matching them till that point and they scored from that set of 6 and we never recovered. Add to that the opposite end of the field the bunker over rules the refs decision and gifts dogs a 20m restart.

What a disgusting result. And when you think we've bought Lussick from the Messiah, and many we're saying this pack would slaughter Parras.

Barrett has absolutely no depth to work with, and his position looks increasingly untenable.

He had plenty of time to put thus squad together.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2