NEWSFLASH: DEFENCE WINS GAMES

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Here is a fact for you feathered friend

Players that posses the X factor have always broken down defensive structures

That is why they are called game breakers .

And the game breakers have the X factor Skill , Strength and Speed that are able to Screw defensive structures

Haumole Olakau'atu X factor Superior Strength Shts all over the Warriors defensive structure

View attachment 18821
Manly definately have the gamebreakers Bozo, but don't expect blowout scorelines in the finals (well not the top 3-4 sides)....you don't want to try win finals in shootouts....defence will be the difference.
Make no mistake - the tactic of extra tacklers buys more time with refs and allows the tacklers to dominate right down to the ground war.
Storm - who pretty much invented most wrestle type gang tackles (many illegal and outlawed like chicken wings ect), still have 3-4 in tackles, mostly designed for allowing their defensive line to reset and press, winning the ruck and usually the game, if Manly can do this with 2 - happy days, but I will be highly surprised if Des does not get 3 into tackles come finals time.
The best attack to break this structured Storm defensive pattern, is unconventional, but not frantic footy, including 2nd phase passes and these Turbo charges directly behind the ruck will generate pressure, throw in a mixed kicking game to have wingers up and down and the recipe will distort any defence...and Manly have the players to do this.

Manly definately have the gamebreakers Bozo, but don't expect blowout scorelines in the finals (well not the top 3-4 sides)....you don't want to try win finals in shootouts....defence will be the difference.
Make no mistake - the tactic of extra tacklers buys more time with refs and allows the tacklers to dominate right down to the ground war.
Storm - who pretty much invented most wrestle type gang tackles (many illegal and outlawed like chicken wings ect), still have 3-4 in tackles, mostly designed for allowing their defensive line to reset and press, winning the ruck and usually the game, if Manly can do this with 2 - happy days, but I will be highly surprised if Des does not get 3 into tackles come finals time.
The best attack to break this structured Storm defensive pattern, is unconventional, but not frantic footy, including 2nd phase passes and these Turbo charges directly behind the ruck will generate pressure, throw in a mixed kicking game to have wingers up and down and the recipe will distort any defence...and Manly have the players to do this.
Thank you for your perspective on this defensive topic feathered friend
and I understand what you are saying

This is the way is I see it

After our 40 to nil demolition against the Storm anything is possible and at the time The Storm had a great defensive structure which was absolutely destroyed by our unstoppable momentum

Once a team has the X factors the desire and momentum all defensive statistics go out the window even in the finals

Speaking of defence . I just heard the news we now have another 4 weeks of lock down in Sydney

I will be highly surprised if Des does not get 3 into tackles come finals time.
Not so sure about that? If Des thought it would be necessary to use 3 in tackles during finals then he'd be getting the squad to practice playing that way now, I'd have thought.

As I mentioned in some other thread, he might be planning to tire out teams like Storm who have 3 rushing to every tackle, by drawing them from side to side with frequent wide spreads hence tiring their middles far more than they are used to.

Just guesswork but it will be fun to see how all this plays out.

When you consider that two markers are mandatory, it doesn't seem at all beneficial to make one-on-one tackles at all. Two in the tackle means they go to marker, so again, no huge advantage to the defensive line. Three in the tackle means one player must retreat back into the line, but...they usually have time because the third player in is the one who takes the legs and puts the player on the ground, allowing the other two defenders to peel off slowly; giving the necessary time for the 3rd defender to return.

That being the case, I see no real technical advantage of having 2 instead of 3 in the tackle.

Not so sure about that? If Des thought it would be necessary to use 3 in tackles during finals then he'd be getting the squad to practice playing that way now, I'd have thought.

As I mentioned in some other thread, he might be planning to tire out teams like Storm who have 3 rushing to every tackle, by drawing them from side to side with frequent wide spreads hence tiring their middles far more than they are used to.

Just guesswork but it will be fun to see how all this plays out.
Not sure I agree with the article in a few senses, as often see 3 men in tackles for Manly and the 3rd man in gives extra time for the players to readjust defensive structures anyway....the main thing I have noticed with Manly defence with this 2 man tackle is more designed to have a drop off and attempt to steal the ball 1 on 1, with mixed success and I reckon this is the 2 man tackles the article may be referring to and the real tactic behind it.

Definitely some soft tries conceded around the middle and in the red zone for quite a few games , just not reacting quick enough and in some instances not coming off the line sufficiently , Hopefully having Jake back can stiffen the middle up a bit but then am having to accommodate Dylan when he has been coming on so still needs a bit more attention there . Should be fixable but no doubt currently a bit a a weak link

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6