NEWSFLASH: DEFENCE WINS GAMES

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Part of the article
"While most teams continue aiming to have three players in a tackle to help control the ruck, the Sea Eagles focus more on two-man tackles to enable them to keep their defensive line intact.

Of all tackles made by Manly this season, 56.5 per cent are two-man tackles and only 25.5 per cent involve three defenders or more."

1627336443345.png
1627336443345.png

Too many statistics. Does my head head in.
All I know is that our defence was lax in our last match. I'm sure this had more to do with the players' intensity than the number of players in a tackle. It's only human to slacken off a little when you are playing a team you know you should beat. Look how Melbourne and Penrith struggled last round against opposition they knew they had covered.
Good teams improve their defence when they are playing other good teams. Remember how tight we were against Doesn'tmatter? We'll do the same when we meet them again, as well as in round 21 when we play Melbourne.

Too many statistics. Does my head head in.
All I know is that our defence was lax in our last match. I'm sure this had more to do with the players' intensity than the number of players in a tackle. It's only human to slacken off a little when you are playing a team you know you should beat. Look how Melbourne and Penrith struggled last round against opposition they knew they had covered.
Good teams improve their defence when they are playing other good teams. Remember how tight we were against Doesn'tmatter? We'll do the same when we meet them again, as well as in round 21 when we play Melbourne.
Tigers moved the ball quite well and off-loaded a lot.

What has stood out in the past two games is our attempts to steal the ball in tackles ala Canberra, haven't really seen it from us prior to then.
I hate the rule and it's risk v reward but it is what it is, but they can be real momentum shifters.

Very interesting ... but all the other teams seem to have a close 50/50 between 2 & 3 man tackles ... including the 4 at the top of the ladder ...

The 2 teams, Manly and Sharks are coming 6th and 7th ... so a bit early to be calling correct weight ... but interesting .

What's interesting is the idea that it's helping us?!

Umm...we've leaked heaps of points.

Look at what Penrith have been doing (disregard last week) for a model on what constitutes effective defence.

Remember when Chris Anderson had the brilliant idea of just defending with 1 marker, so he could have 1 extra man in the defensive line.

That worked out well.

So well, in fact, he got sacked a couple of months later.

Remember when Chris Anderson had the brilliant idea of just defending with 1 marker, so he could have 1 extra man in the defensive line.

That worked out well.

So well, in fact, he got sacked a couple of months later.
Apparently his 1999 campaign with Melbourne was built around getting half up off the ground to play-the-ball without using the foot. Quickest ruck speed the game has ever seen!

What's interesting is the idea that it's helping us?!

Umm...we've leaked heaps of points.

Look at what Penrith have been doing (disregard last week) for a model on what constitutes effective defence.
I wouldn't mind seeing like for like stats with other teams from Round 6 onward - that would be more accurate.

The concept of what constitutes an ideal tackle has changed a lot since Johnny Raper's book on RL came out. Sadly, a good 'grass cutter' legs tackle doesn't get the reward equal to the skill needed to make that tackle. Most tackles now are (a) player goes high to wrap up the ball - and maybe halt momentum, and (b) second player goes waist high to better stop momentum. They all usually waltz down the field for a few metres. Yawn. Rinse and repeat for 5 and kick.

If that doesn't work, bring in (c) third player to tackle around the legs - hopefully at mid thigh level....!

Better front-on tackling technique obviates most of the above (see Jake T for our best example). Stop 'em and drop 'em. One on one. Doesn't work if players don't mark up. Manly has marked up better - particularly in the outside backs - since Round 6. Not hard to work out why....

It's great to have defensive structures and plans, but by far the most important factor is controlling the tempo and speed of play ball....this means hitting and sticking and controlling the attacker....the idea of the 3rd man is to allow extra weight and control in the tackle and an extra man allowing more time in the tackle and to peel away and reload defensively with the other defenders marker 1 and 2, so if Manly are effectively winning contact and ground war with 2 tacklers, so be it, but if this pitch is based on results, have looked very flimsy at times in the middle, which Storm/Penrith will try exploit.
Will be surprised if Manly don't compress a little more in some bigger games ahead.

Part of the article
"While most teams continue aiming to have three players in a tackle to help control the ruck, the Sea Eagles focus more on two-man tackles to enable them to keep their defensive line intact.

Of all tackles made by Manly this season, 56.5 per cent are two-man tackles and only 25.5 per cent involve three defenders or more."
On this theory the toothless Sharks should Defensively Devour teams likes Penrith and the Storm

So long Sharks , Good bye . Here comes Another Storm try

Speed Kills and the faster you go the bigger the mediocre mess you leave behind

addo-carrj-201003_s_22.jpg

Last edited:
It's great to have defensive structures and plans, but by far the most important factor is controlling the tempo and speed of play ball....this means hitting and sticking and controlling the attacker....the idea of the 3rd man is to allow extra weight and control in the tackle and an extra man allowing more time in the tackle and to peel away and reload defensively with the other defenders marker 1 and 2, so if Manly are effectively winning contact and ground war with 2 tacklers, so be it, but if this pitch is based on results, have looked very flimsy at times in the middle, which Storm/Penrith will try exploit.
Will be surprised if Manly don't compress a little more in some bigger games ahead.
Here is a fact for you feathered friend

Players that posses the X factor have always broken down defensive structures

That is why they are called game breakers .

And the game breakers have the X factor Skill , Strength and Speed that are able to Screw defensive structures

Haumole Olakau'atu X factor Superior Strength Shts all over the Warriors defensive structure

gettyimages-1317061214-594x594.jpg

Our dummy half defence is a weakness. The refs yell at us all time to release and I feel our defence is under more pressure than the opposition to get off tackled players thus making it hard for the tacklers to slow the play the ball down and to mark up. Ironically we constantly have sides allowed to lay all over us and all I hear from the bloke in yellow is "Milking". We really need to keep possession by completing our sets. We need steel in the middle and serious line speed in defence to compete with the big boys.

Speed Kills . If you dont have the pace you are not in the race

Tommy Turbo says Good bye to another defensive structure :)

saabjason-scores-a-try-celebration-trbojevictom-210509--1gp_3045_202159133752.jpg

Gould noted manly in 2008 was very good at 1 man tackles, leaving 12 in the defence line, and better than all the other teams at this.

This 2 man thing makes a bit of sense.

Gould noted manly in 2008 was very good at 1 man tackles, leaving 12 in the defence line, and better than all the other teams at this.

This 2 man thing makes a bit of sense.
At the end of the day the X factors break every defensive line

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8