News: Watmough: 'The Army of One'

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<p>Manly’s Anthony Watmough has been dubbed the ‘Army of One’ and statistics revealed today by NRL.com show why he is the most damaging back-rower in the Telstra Premiership.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4115-watmough-the-army-of-one.html">Read the full article</a>

What has impressed me is his increased maturity on the field. He has always had talent but was worth a stupid penalty or three each game as well as a dropped ball and a few missed tackles. Much of this seems to be cut out.

He showed a lot of aggression in Origin but was a calmer head when things threatened to blow up, showing that he did not need to get into the biffo to make an impact or display his toughness.

Holy crap 200+ mtrs in Origin?? 

He'll be targeted for sure, they'll try to rile him up and get him to give penalties away, and they'll test his defence.

Funny how the reports go from 'Worst tackling forward' to 'One man army', although he was missing a thousand tackles earlier.  He's really grown up this year, really fast.  Let's hope it keeps going not just for this season but beyond.

Onya Choc

BK certainly did!!

And was on the phone to Choc minutes after the end of SOO 3 to congratulate him!!

I asked Ben at the Grand Final post match function why he was now such a one eyed Manly supporter given his length of time at Canberra and the Knights.

His answer was simple " I just love the place, I love how they treated me, I love how they still treat me and I loved how when everyone was writing me off they had faith in me and said I could bring a lot to the table, my two years at Manly were the most special part of my Football career and I will be forever grateful"

I said " Ben you may not realise this BUT in my opinion this Premiership Trophy is as much yours as it is theirs, what you instilled in them in those two years has brought this to fuition tonight".

He told me I was way to kind with my words but correct me if I am wrong????

BK was (is) an absolute champion on and off the field. He has no doubt played a significant part in turning our club around.

Inspirational.

BK is pretty much the only player since the last premiership that deserved to hold the trophy but didn't.  Mind you there could be others deserving but i can't think of them.  I'm just glad he still loves the club as much as we all love him.

My way of thinking?  BK gave us a massive set of testicles forged in steel.  If the club/players ever went and performed like we did in 03/04 (i know, we had not much choice) then that would be the greatest disservice to him.

Back to Watmough, after his job in Origin, i'd love to see him in jersey 13 and playing the middle of the field rather than to one side, at least to experiment once.

Canteen Worker link said:
What has impressed me is his increased maturity on the field. He has always had talent but was worth a stupid penalty or three each game as well as a dropped ball and a few missed tackles. Much of this seems to be cut out.

He showed a lot of aggression in Origin but was a calmer head when things threatened to blow up, showing that he did not need to get into the biffo to make an impact or display his toughness.

Well said CW, my concern with Choc has always been his error rate and I must admit that not being a big fan of Choc's I was impressed with the maturity he showed by not throwing a punch in SOO. He really has the potential to be one of the best in the game, just hope he realises it.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
BK certainly did!!

And was on the phone to Choc minutes after the end of SOO 3 to congratulate him!!

I asked Ben at the Grand Final post match function why he was now such a one eyed Manly supporter given his length of time at Canberra and the Knights.

His answer was simple \" I just love the place, I love how they treated me, I love how they still treat me and I loved how when everyone was writing me off they had faith in me and said I could bring a lot to the table, my two years at Manly were the most special part of my Football career and I will be forever grateful\"

I said \" Ben you may not realise this BUT in my opinion this Premiership Trophy is as much yours as it is theirs, what you instilled in them in those two years has brought this to fuition tonight\".

He told me I was way to kind with my words but correct me if I am wrong????

Great read Mark. BK Will always be apart of Manly and i agree the Premiership is as much his.

I can see Bk's plays in Watmough today Bk took on the oppostion even if the rest of the team was not playing so well with his barn storming runs towards the try line and it's those kinda plays that Watmough does today.

eggson link said:
BK is pretty much the only player since the last premiership that deserved to hold the trophy but didn't.  Mind you there could be others deserving but i can't think of them.  I'm just glad he still loves the club as much as we all love him.

My way of thinking?  BK gave us a massive set of testicles forged in steel.  If the club/players ever went and performed like we did in 03/04 (i know, we had not much choice) then that would be the greatest disservice to him.

Back to Watmough, after his job in Origin, i'd love to see him in jersey 13 and playing the middle of the field rather than to one side, at least to experiment once.

BK was in the Manly team of the century wasn't he? I think that speaks volumes of the impact he has had on our club, even if he was only here a short time/no premiership with us.

It would have been very fitting if BK could have stuck around for another year and be part of the 08 premiership winning team.

I don't often like to toot my own horn but there's a Choc story in Big League this week which is a decent read. I dont have the time tonight, but if someone wants to type it up for the forum I would appreciate feedback. Otherwise I'll give it a crack tomorrow....

**** sake mate, I leave Oz and then you put that in !!!

I enjoyed you interview with Ox which I read while over there.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
F**k sake mate, I leave Oz and then you put that in !!!

I enjoyed you interview with Ox which I read while over there.
how good was it
"Manly have some pretty passionate fans" i think one questioned was started with :)
gold

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2