News: Two refs here to stay

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Rugby league's two-referee system appears here to stay after glowing endorsements from those who have overseen and worked under the controversial format for the past two years.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5168-two-refs-here-to-stay.html">Read the full article</a>

GLOWING ENDORSEMENTS . . .
I've not seen or heard any.
We are getting more bad decisions than even imo.

I want less referee decisions instead of more

They could always put 7 refs on the field. That way the penalty per ref average will go down and Gallop can put out another media release full of self praise.

Its not even accepted internationally,what makes the NRL so up itself that it goes away from International rules?

Go back to 1 ref and 12 interchanges,like in an international!

I think 2 refs could be good for the game if the refs were any good. Competition for spots min any squad always produces better results. 2 heads are usually better than 1. I think its a sad reflection of the quality and lack of depth in the referee ranks that most dislike 2 refs on the field

I reckon people piss and moan more now than in the past and thats whats making referee look worse than they are. Sure the current crop arent that crash hot but ya only have to watch games from as recent as the turn of the century to see the difference in scrutiny.
Dopped balls in the play the ball, forward passes, markers not square, incorrect stripping calls all these kinds of things barely get a mention from the commentators (same commentators we have now). And when they do rate a mention its a passing comment, not the great tragedy it is now. Its almost like things not being 100% correct are considered part of the game less than a decade ago.

Watch a game from the early 2000's and you'll see what im talking about.
Too many rules now and too much presure for things to be right all the time.

2 refs + the 2 touchies on the field is good.

The evolution of the game, the players, and how them & coaches push the boundaries of the rules and what they can get away with means that there needs to be 2 refs  to keep control of it.

The increased communication and warnings by the refs to players we hear more is also good.

The video ref system, however, seems like it could do with some tweaking for whatever reasons, dunno. I think the intent of it is good, and it has the potential to improve the overall officiating.

Overall, the officiating lacks enough CONSISTENCY through the comp. Whilst I truly am dumbfounded that this problem remains so significant in this day and age, I am still confident that they can improve it to acceptable levels before too long.

Pablo link said:
I reckon people piss and moan more now than in the past and thats whats making referee look worse than they are. Sure the current crop arent that crash hot but ya only have to watch games from as recent as the turn of the century to see the difference in scrutiny.
Dopped balls in the play the ball, forward passes, markers not square, incorrect stripping calls all these kinds of things barely get a mention from the commentators (same commentators we have now). And when they do rate a mention its a passing comment, not the great tragedy it is now. Its almost like things not being 100% correct are considered part of the game less than a decade ago.

Pablo, that is very much true. I think the 2 ref system is great. It is just not being used correctly and everybody has a whinge over it. If you are good enough you shouldn't need a dodgy call to make or break your season like us this year.

2 refs = good
quality of refs = bad
I think having the 4 officials on ground is a great idea but they need to remove the video referee input, except for touch lines and put downs for tries only. Anything else, if it didn't get picked up by the 8 eyes on the ground it didn't happen! The referees make too many mistakes at the moment but it happens more because of the immense scrutiny they face... The people in charge need to make sure they all understand the rules of the game before the start of the season and put confidence in the referees to make decisions... I think the influence of a few recently retired players would be a good addition to a referee advisory role...

There are not enough quality refs around at the moment. You could have 4 refs on the field, but if they are not up to scratch the bad decisions are going to keep coming. Having said that, who'd want to be a ref?

1 ref works well in the English Superleague and I can't see where 2 refs have been so good for the NRL.  There has been to many bad calls this year.  The control of the game wasn't that much different with 1 ref.

The game's getting too fast.  It needs to be slowed down.  There should be less interchanges so that the smaller men are given a chance to run at tired big men.  The smaller, nippy men are becoming a dying breed.

Pablo link said:

Last night I watched the game from October 2008 and the refereeing was MASSIVELY better than it is now.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6