News: top two league games guaranteed for public viewing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE two best games of every NRL round will remain on free-to-air TV under a deal to be struck by the Gillard Government and league's newly formed independent commission.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5307-top-two-league-games-guaranteed-for-public-viewing.html">Read the full article</a>

I really don't care about having the top 2 games on fta, I would rather see the full season schedule  set in stone at the start of the season

Top 2 is subjective anyway. For those who don't know here is is a look behind the curtain how games are currently scheduled. It normally happens 5 weeks out. Nine and Foxtel reps get scheduled bids/picks.

1) It starts with Nine getting the first 2 picks, which are the Friday night games. In an average week this is the top NSW game and the top QLD. Top is difined by the network as the most interesting game that will also ganer top ratings for the network. As ratings are based out of Syd/Melb/Bris this means the QLD gmae will almost always be Broncos and the Sydney game will be someone with a large fan/membership base.

2) Foxtel make 2 picks, first is Monday night, 2nd is Saturday evening.

3) Nine picks their Sunday arvo game

4) Foxtel sort where they want to put the games based on interest. The Saturday early game and 7:30 delay game are the "worst" games

Something to note whoever gets the Monday game cannot play Friday night football. This means that sometimes Nine does not pick the best game but will sometimes pick an inferior game to ensure they get what they want the following week. A hypothetical example Rabbitohs and Tigers have the biggest fanbases, if they are playing each other in round 8, nine may pick one or both of those sides the friday beforein round 7 even though they may be playing playing inferior teams cause they know Tigers v Rabbitohs will definately rate in Sydney.

So really "best" game is subjective to what the rating system determines and the ratings for TV is known to be widely flawed. This also explains why Sea EAgles are rarely on free to air unless they are winning the comp, we have a limited fanbase and promote the idea everyone hates us. That last thing nine wants is to put to air a team that everyone hates cause no one wants to watch them

Nothing changes. Nine will still continue to treat league fans in WA/VIC with contempt and show the replays at their usual ungodly hour of 2am or similar.
I certainly won't be getting rid of foxtel.

lol WAM  if i lived in any other state beside NSW & QLD i would definately be getting my league fix from foxtel not  free to air, you would be mad to get rid of it..

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
I really don't care about having the top 2 games on fta, I would rather see the full season schedule  set in stone at the start of the season
We need a like button. Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!!

I totally agree that the season draw should be set in stone and all free-to-air TV games known at that time.
With vested interests now selecting the 'best' two games we only get to see a limited number of clubs play. All clubs should have a relatively equal amount of TV coverage regardless of their position on the table.
What we now get is BroncoVision!

CW we do have a Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!! Like!!
button, its the karma buttons ;)

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:

I know some people like to travel and plan in advance but I don't mind the TV stations picking and choosing which games go on FTA.  I would prefer the better games on Friday night, nothing would be worse for later in the season having the big games being played by two teams not in contention and sadly out of form.  My main issue is that they have to pay for the priviledge in being able to do so, which they currently are not.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2